Moderator Moderator

A Dangerous Spot

mtbr member
    I have a railroad track that cuts at an angle and I can almost cross it at 90 degrees by going to the extreme right of the shoulder then end up at the rumble strip. That scares the crap out of drivers passing by quite frequently, It also exposes my tires to the crap on the outsides of the paved shoulder. It is likely a non issue in the dry, but if I don't make a habit of it I will forget when the rails have condensation and a slippery as snot. I can see a cyclist watching traffic missing the expansion joint threat, especially if they got away in the dry but a fog rolled on and made it wet the next time.

mtbr member
    Mine is here.

An official, city Bikeroute (it's the one on all the maps) heads into two lanes of left-turning traffic.

As the cyclist you're riding from a very minor non-road into a major intersection. The left-turners don't pay any attention because they don't expect any oncoming traffic.

At rushhour it's essentially freeflow left turners, and trying to get 1 of them to stop is impossible. And of course you don't need 1 of them to stop - you need both lanes to stop, plus the people behind them, and the people behind them, and etc. It's a @#$% nightmare.

I don't know that anyone has actually been killed or seriously injured there. But I rode it for a few months, and decided it was way, way too risky.

Lots of angled RR crossings in Indiana, especially Indianapolis, with the whole hub-and-spokes transit layout (the railroads follow a similar layout, too).

Here is one on my commute from my folks' house (thankfully I no longer have to deal with this, especially now that cold weather is setting in and there will be icy mornings before too long). The crossing is at such an angle that it makes it nearly impossible to cross perpendicular to the tracks. There's a decent bit of debris here, too, indicated by the presence of the hubcap. Not to mention, no gate or signal lights for crossing traffic.

A Dangerous Spot-30thstrrxing.jpg

mtbr member
    Yes, I'd avoid that one.

Moderator Moderator
    Ouch, really bad angle, Nate!

Here's a vid of another painful spot:
    Video: Cyclists slam ?lethal? Haymarket tram line - Edinburgh Evening News

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Yes, I'd avoid that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Ouch, really bad angle, Nate!
    Didn't have much choice. This was literally the safest option. I got lots of practice with my technical handling skills on my commuter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I got lots of practice with my technical handling skills on my commuter.
    Occasionally at the co-op someone will be asking about tips for winter riding. "Layers" or "Lights" or "Don't use the front brake" (pffft) are pretty typical. But #1 my is to learn to loft the front wheel. It's invaluable for ruts, windrows, potholes and train tracks...but most commuters would never even consider it.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Lots of abandoned rail alignments/spurs to nowhere here in Oakland. Sometimes ill wonder if there active utility vaults or right of ways that still exist or both. Went down real hard on one in the rain some years ago. Cost me a trip to the doctor and a sick day. I still think on/off ramp intersections are more dangerous though.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Moderator Moderator
    Hereís mine. I definitely pay attention, but itís not too bad on my 32ís or 1.75ís. The increase in rail traffic promised on the sign never really materialized. There were a few trainloads of grout (waste rock from the quarries) sent south for jetties and such, but it seems like it was a short-term contract.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Dangerous Spot-p1020787.jpg  

mtbr member
    Interesting that in Illinois, cyclists are permitted, not intended users of the road. Which means that their is no basis to sue the city over that grate because it wasn't on a marked and approved cycling route. Even though they have been replacing such grates for decades and that one is in the middle of the intersection where a cyclist would be busy avoiding being run over in a left turn. Since roads predate cars, are the intended users horse drawn vehicles, mounted riders, and herds of livestock? Bikes predate cars so this intended user argument seems a dumb lawyer cop out to me.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member

A Dangerous Spot

I deal with a huge intersection every commute, one that has taken the life of several cyclists. The lights are constantly ran, and unless you're fully prepared to start your trek as soon as the light turns, you won't make it across in time.

That intersection also has a nice 3% downgrade into some of the roughest tracks I've come across, leading into the Tropicana plant. So, you're now flying at 25 mph toward some wheel crushing raised asphalt and train tracks.

Shortly after, you run across another set of tracks at such an angle that if you don't hop the front tire, you'll catch and go over. Check out the Google pics.