Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

D u ride very fast whenever u commute?

Do u ride hard for yr every commuting, sweat like hell, heart beating so fast and speed like no tommorrow?

I do that most of the time and I take every commuting journey like a training for myself.

I wonder anybody do the same?

knock-knock...
    more on the way home, but at one of my jobs there was a shower, so i definitely had a 3 times a week 11 mile time trial going. that was a good time. always on the way back though. a lot of times at that one id be somewhat wiped from my ride there to pound it at the same speed home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Mostly 'cause I'm always late, rather than 'cause I feel like I'm training for something...

I'm SUCH a square....
    If I don't hit a heartrate (estimated, monitor went tits-up) above about 145, I'm not riding, I'm cheating. (fwiw, 145 for me is about 80-85% max) A lot of people would say I spend a lot of time in the 'red zone', but that's where the endorphins are!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not fast...but I do push pretty hard. I have a 13 mile commute (each way) and once out on the highway, I try to keep a brisk pace. If I see another rider way ahead, I really start working to try and catch them. Dunno why.

It's nice that we have really good shower facilities where I work. I can get really sweaty and gross at the end of my commute and then be fresh as a daisy when I start work.

Klein sits on shelf now..
    I am riding a single speed just so I am forced to keep it tame. I like to have a little juice left for my trail rides after the 5 miles home.

ONe less gear
    I go as fast as possible usually. I don't go too fast after morning PT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think it really depends on how excited i am to get to work, so usually top out at 6 mph.
    I seldom get into a hurry, I Just like to keep a pace. I don't ride to trade off one stressful commute for another.

weirdo
    I`ve got lifelesspoet beat- sometimes I probably hit 9 mph. Well, maybe 8 point 6. I just like dinking around- never really go for speed or training whether I`m on my way to/from work, shopping, singletrack, pleasure cruise, or whatever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I haul ass. I try to keep it above 20mph.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm usually running late, so I like to think of my commute as three sprints and a leisurely cruise:
    To the train
    Train to work
    Work to train
    and if I think about it I usually take it easy once I get off the train.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have about a daily 10 mile commute. For some odd reason I leisurely pedal on the flats and downhills but when I hit an uphill I feel I need to get up it as fast as possible. As for riding up on fellow cyclers Its fun to blast past them without aknowledgeing they are there

weirdo
    I saw a fellow cyclist on my commute once. He blasted past me and I didn`t acknowledge that he was there. Maybe it was you.

banned
    I don't, but I also use the word "you" instead of the letter "u". I know it sounds wrong, but it's my preference to use the word.

RfQ
    mtbr member
    two offices to work from, one is only 2.4kms away, the other a mere 6.5kms.

When commuting to the closer office, I try to go so slow that I do not sweat.
    To the further (but not far office), I don't hammer, but I don't dawdle either.

But either route - it's on shared paths (cyclists + pedestrians + roller bladers + prams + all sorts of widgets). It's crazy to go fast with so many other users at different speeds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ride like i am getting chased by wild dogs or the police. Anytime i ride.

I

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I go hard as I can, I draft roadies, I pass way out on the grass, I leave very little in the tank.

I rest one day a week, and ride one easy day...

After about 3 weeks, I have to have a slow week, then as I come back away I go again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Other cyclists on the road is competition. I especially like to pass the fixies and single speeders. I feel I need to blow past them so fast that they won't have the motivation to even attempt to catch up. Much respect to anyone who can, but it hasn't happenned yet. They'll have to be spinning pretty fast or have some really big chainring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    Other cyclists on the road is competition. I especially like to pass the fixies and single speeders. I feel I need to blow past them so fast that they won't have the motivation to even attempt to catch up. Much respect to anyone who can, but it hasn't happenned yet. They'll have to be spinning pretty fast or have some really big chainring.
    That's because the ones that can catch you are way ahead and you never run into them.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    I ride on a SS and usually go as fast as I can. I always try and catch up other riders (don't know why) and pass them.
    If somebody passes me I chase him up (without passing again) untill they blowup (or drop me....) It's all fun.
    I have 16mi each way, which I cover in 55-60mins, mostly hardpack trail/path and about 3miles on the road with traffic.
    Oh, I run 36x15 (with 26"wheels) that is 20mph at 110RPM
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla --- Savvy Bike

mtbr member
    i usually keep an average of 16 mph for the first 6 miles then drop to a 12 mph for the rest of the way. But i always time my rides and hope to beet the latest and greatest. i ride a motobecane phantom ds comp mountain bike with nobbies and my top speed so far is 26.2 mph trying to catch up to a roadie on a nice setup. we were going downhill slightly though so it did help with speed....i tailed him for about 30 seconds and then....he was gone...
    i love the smell of tri-flow in the morning......

banned
    I saw some mtb roadies passing us with their spandex and all that, one on a Scott 22lb FS rig. He passes us, then starts hammering on the pedals and oscillating the bike left and right looking to show up. On this massive amount of standing power, he shifts and nearly breaks his chain and chain rings. I heard the horrid noises and started laughing. He then sits back down and rides off smoothly with his friends.

mbtr member
    20mph, everywhere i go. When thats uphill and against a headwind... yeah i blow up. It feels really good when its flat and no wind, so i just think that when its a hard speed to maintain it must be weakness in myself.
    I like cheap stuff that works great and is very sturdy.

nnn
    mtbr member
    With precisely 40 traffic lights along my 9 mile commute it makes very little difference how much I push .... regardless I still ride hard enough to spew my lungs out most of the time :P
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Nervous Descender
    I usually average about 20 mph on my old road bike. My direct commute is only 3 miles- usually 8-9 minutes and not enough time to work up a sweat. It's just about as fast as driving when you factor in the get in the car, back out, park at work, walk in to office thing.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

Breaker of parts
    Nov 2006
    I work 1.6 miles from home, so not far. but even though i leave loads of time i still try to break the time i did the previous day, i managed just under 4 mins at best. TBH i ride like that everywhere.

mtbr member
    I have a six mile commute. I hammer it as hard as I can, every day. On the way home, I can keep pace with my car bound co-workers, running stop light to stop light. Every intersection, I pull up and lean on one of their fenders. They just shake their heads in disbelief. I also hunt down and pass every cyclist in sight. I have never been passed by a roadie, although they have tried. This is on a fixie, 39x15.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a 4 mile commute down the interstate, a busy back road, and then the main artery in town to campus. I time myself everywhere and i'm always trying to set a new PR. It's a fun, adrenaline filled, muscle burning, lung blasting ride every single time! Slowly but surely I have been developing a bit of a following, people curious as to my time today or what's my new best.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano4
    Do u ride hard for yr every commuting, sweat like hell, heart beating so fast and speed like no tommorrow?

I do that most of the time and I take every commuting journey like a training for myself.

Moreso on the ride home ..... to work, I take it a lil easier (unless I'm runnin' late, but that's rare....)

local trails rider
    I try not to sweat much on the way to work. Only 5 miles, or so. I might get carried away on the way home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    On flats I stay slow, but uphill I race cars and downhill I try to lift off.

mikeb
    you people must really like your jobs.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    All depends on what's going on. The commute in is usually a straight up ass haul. The ride home can be a sight seeing tour. The route I take goes through some underrated parks with lots of wildlife. This time of the year the deer and other critters are running around in the evening.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Today. I ride very fast when going down slope at 30mph and burst it goes my rear inner tube.. Luckily , I can apply brake immediately and stable my bic. Nothing goes wrong but was quite scary when it happen.

But I also need to add in that my inner tube had rode 3000miles without any flat. I think is burst is also due to long usage and wearout..

Guys, becareful when riding high speed. And remember to change yr inner tube after certain mileages. (I think I need to swoop my front inner tube tml with a new one)
    Last edited by shimano4; 09-16-2008 at 08:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ss roadie bike.. fast as I can, not because I'm a racer boy but because It's safer for me.

I get a lot of flack from my friend who's a "stop behind the nice cars and wait for THEM to go ahead" type, but the truth is, while I know I can stop on a dime, I know damn well the twit behind me may not... so I try to make sure I'm BESIDE a car as much as I can manage, so if the person behind me isn't paying attention they run intot he car and not me!
    Only there's this whole "blind spot" thing cars have you see, so you have to make sure you're kind of ahead of that car....

Speed: by default of wanting to be seen and not hit.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    ss roadie bike.. fast as I can, not because I'm a racer boy but because It's safer for me.

I get a lot of flack from my friend who's a "stop behind the nice cars and wait for THEM to go ahead" type, but the truth is, while I know I can stop on a dime, I know damn well the twit behind me may not... so I try to make sure I'm BESIDE a car as much as I can manage, so if the person behind me isn't paying attention they run intot he car and not me!
    Only there's this whole "blind spot" thing cars have you see, so you have to make sure you're kind of ahead of that car....

Speed: by default of wanting to be seen and not hit.
    Haha.. Understood what u mean. Do what u deem is safe for yrself and others. Fast and safe riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It really depends on my attitude. I ride a Giant OCR 3 noobie road bike. My ride is about 9 miles and I'm there in about 30 minutes. My times have significantly improved as I'm in better shape and I've found better ways to transport my gear (steel toes combat boots weigh a ton).

The one part of my route has a lot of nails and other sharp objects. I try to keep a watchful eye but I've gotten to two flats and ripped open the side of my rear tire on the first one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

fast enough to go around roadies

On the way home there are a lot of roadies and I try to hang w/them...unless I can pass em and keep on keepin' on. I'm glad to read I'm not the only one that feels obligated to catch and try to pass other cyclists on the road/paths. I thought I was the only fruitcake that did that. I'm not slim but it's a hell of a lot of fun passing spandex clad bikers with my work jeans and ratty t-shirt on.

ballbuster

im n such a rsh

... i dnt bthr to spl ut m wrds du u?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... i dnt bthr to spl ut m wrds du u?
    I got it! Maybe u got self inferiority mentality as u always being overtake by many cyclist including those granny and grandpa! Haha.. Don't worry, train hard during yr commuting and u will start to surpass those granny and grandpa first. Ok?

my fun has a hurting
    depends on the bike i ride in that day. if its one of the road bikes then i hammer the entire way in (27mph geared/23mph fixed on average). if i am on one of the mountain bikes i take it easy and play (18mph ss/14mph dh rig average). 6.5 miles each way with a big nasty road climb in the middle (so yes its uphill both ways, i love pittsburgh)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No.
    Our City has been setting up speed traps on the pathways to ticket cyclists and "make the pathways safer", with a 20kmh speed limit (and a rediculous 10kmh in some areas), so I don't ride as fast as possible.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

It's Hammer Time!

I ride a 19-pound XC race bike, as a commuter. I can easily keep up with, and draft roadies. Maintaining 25+mph on the flats has never been easier, and this thing climbs....well, like some billy goat on crack:
    Attached Images Attached Images

ballbuster

Dude...

I got it! Maybe u got self inferiority mentality as u always being overtake by many cyclist including those granny and grandpa! Haha.. Don't worry, train hard during yr commuting and u will start to surpass those granny and grandpa first. Ok?
    I can't even follow that! Right on!

Everyone Bleeds!

New question here. Wtf?

Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nope, I cruise whenever I'm riding to work or school.

I really appreciate the aspect of just kinda scooting along and taking in the sights on my shorter jaunts. My route to both campus and my job goes up a pretty monster steep hill that I use on my (infrequent) hill interval workouts, when I pull up to the base of it on my commute I hop off my platform pedals and walk up.

There will always be time for training rides in my schedule.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    No.
    Our City has been setting up speed traps on the pathways to ticket cyclists and "make the pathways safer", with a 20kmh speed limit (and a rediculous 10kmh in some areas), so I don't ride as fast as possible.
    Wow, that's horrible. Police in your area have that kind of time.

That's one of the nice sides of living in a high-crime city like Baltimore, the cops don't bother with dumb, little crap like bicyclists speeding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    I'm not fast...but I do push pretty hard. I have a 13 mile commute (each way) and once out on the highway, I try to keep a brisk pace. If I see another rider way ahead, I really start working to try and catch them. Dunno why.

It's nice that we have really good shower facilities where I work. I can get really sweaty and gross at the end of my commute and then be fresh as a daisy when I start work.
    Hell yeah. Im like a missile when i see someone ahead. It becomes a mission to catch up, pass and say eat my rubber lol

mtbr member

Nice ride

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    I ride a 19-pound XC race bike, as a commuter. I can easily keep up with, and draft roadies. Maintaining 25+mph on the flats has never been easier, and this thing climbs....well, like some billy goat on crack:
    Nice mtb. Going that fast must shine of the pads on braking. Is this the case? Just im like you like to ride like the wind, but im suffering squealing brakes due to pad shine.

Im using Hayes Strokers Rydes with organic pads

Bedwards Of The West
    This morning I had to make a decision. I have a very rural commute, and today I hit the highway just in time to have a tractor/backhoe rolling right down the bike lane in front of me. It was doing 21/22 mph, and I could have easily sat right behind it in the draft and coasted all the way to work (6 miles). I got into the draft and started thinking "can I average better than 22 mph all the way to town?" My curiosity got the better of me and I pulled out and passed him...wrinkly old dude behind the wheel gave me a wave and I put the hammer down in order to get a decent lead before the hilly stretch. I was surprised to be ahead of him after the hills and continued on the flat/downhill towards town, with the rumbling of the tractor still audible behind me. I figured the city limits was a good finish line, since who knows where he'd be going after that...I pulled up and started resting when I crossed the line and got into the residential neighborhood, and the tractor came rumbling up behind me, passed me, and the wrinkly old dude gave me the biggest thumbs-up and grin that I've received in a while.

All that to say that usually I cruise in the mornings and hammer home, but there are exceptions.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast