Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

D u ride very fast whenever u commute?

Do u ride hard for yr every commuting, sweat like hell, heart beating so fast and speed like no tommorrow?

I do that most of the time and I take every commuting journey like a training for myself.

I wonder anybody do the same?

knock-knock...
    more on the way home, but at one of my jobs there was a shower, so i definitely had a 3 times a week 11 mile time trial going. that was a good time. always on the way back though. a lot of times at that one id be somewhat wiped from my ride there to pound it at the same speed home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Mostly 'cause I'm always late, rather than 'cause I feel like I'm training for something...

I'm SUCH a square....
    If I don't hit a heartrate (estimated, monitor went tits-up) above about 145, I'm not riding, I'm cheating. (fwiw, 145 for me is about 80-85% max) A lot of people would say I spend a lot of time in the 'red zone', but that's where the endorphins are!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not fast...but I do push pretty hard. I have a 13 mile commute (each way) and once out on the highway, I try to keep a brisk pace. If I see another rider way ahead, I really start working to try and catch them. Dunno why.

It's nice that we have really good shower facilities where I work. I can get really sweaty and gross at the end of my commute and then be fresh as a daisy when I start work.

Klein sits on shelf now..
    I am riding a single speed just so I am forced to keep it tame. I like to have a little juice left for my trail rides after the 5 miles home.

ONe less gear
    I go as fast as possible usually. I don't go too fast after morning PT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think it really depends on how excited i am to get to work, so usually top out at 6 mph.
    I seldom get into a hurry, I Just like to keep a pace. I don't ride to trade off one stressful commute for another.

weirdo
    I`ve got lifelesspoet beat- sometimes I probably hit 9 mph. Well, maybe 8 point 6. I just like dinking around- never really go for speed or training whether I`m on my way to/from work, shopping, singletrack, pleasure cruise, or whatever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I haul ass. I try to keep it above 20mph.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm usually running late, so I like to think of my commute as three sprints and a leisurely cruise:
    To the train
    Train to work
    Work to train
    and if I think about it I usually take it easy once I get off the train.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have about a daily 10 mile commute. For some odd reason I leisurely pedal on the flats and downhills but when I hit an uphill I feel I need to get up it as fast as possible. As for riding up on fellow cyclers Its fun to blast past them without aknowledgeing they are there

weirdo
    I saw a fellow cyclist on my commute once. He blasted past me and I didn`t acknowledge that he was there. Maybe it was you.

banned
    I don't, but I also use the word "you" instead of the letter "u". I know it sounds wrong, but it's my preference to use the word.

RfQ
    mtbr member
    two offices to work from, one is only 2.4kms away, the other a mere 6.5kms.

When commuting to the closer office, I try to go so slow that I do not sweat.
    To the further (but not far office), I don't hammer, but I don't dawdle either.

But either route - it's on shared paths (cyclists + pedestrians + roller bladers + prams + all sorts of widgets). It's crazy to go fast with so many other users at different speeds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ride like i am getting chased by wild dogs or the police. Anytime i ride.

I

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I go hard as I can, I draft roadies, I pass way out on the grass, I leave very little in the tank.

I rest one day a week, and ride one easy day...

After about 3 weeks, I have to have a slow week, then as I come back away I go again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Other cyclists on the road is competition. I especially like to pass the fixies and single speeders. I feel I need to blow past them so fast that they won't have the motivation to even attempt to catch up. Much respect to anyone who can, but it hasn't happenned yet. They'll have to be spinning pretty fast or have some really big chainring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    Other cyclists on the road is competition. I especially like to pass the fixies and single speeders. I feel I need to blow past them so fast that they won't have the motivation to even attempt to catch up. Much respect to anyone who can, but it hasn't happenned yet. They'll have to be spinning pretty fast or have some really big chainring.
    That's because the ones that can catch you are way ahead and you never run into them.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    I ride on a SS and usually go as fast as I can. I always try and catch up other riders (don't know why) and pass them.
    If somebody passes me I chase him up (without passing again) untill they blowup (or drop me....) It's all fun.
    I have 16mi each way, which I cover in 55-60mins, mostly hardpack trail/path and about 3miles on the road with traffic.
    Oh, I run 36x15 (with 26"wheels) that is 20mph at 110RPM
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    i usually keep an average of 16 mph for the first 6 miles then drop to a 12 mph for the rest of the way. But i always time my rides and hope to beet the latest and greatest. i ride a motobecane phantom ds comp mountain bike with nobbies and my top speed so far is 26.2 mph trying to catch up to a roadie on a nice setup. we were going downhill slightly though so it did help with speed....i tailed him for about 30 seconds and then....he was gone...
    i love the smell of tri-flow in the morning......

banned
    I saw some mtb roadies passing us with their spandex and all that, one on a Scott 22lb FS rig. He passes us, then starts hammering on the pedals and oscillating the bike left and right looking to show up. On this massive amount of standing power, he shifts and nearly breaks his chain and chain rings. I heard the horrid noises and started laughing. He then sits back down and rides off smoothly with his friends.

mbtr member
    20mph, everywhere i go. When thats uphill and against a headwind... yeah i blow up. It feels really good when its flat and no wind, so i just think that when its a hard speed to maintain it must be weakness in myself.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

nnn
    mtbr member
    With precisely 40 traffic lights along my 9 mile commute it makes very little difference how much I push .... regardless I still ride hard enough to spew my lungs out most of the time :P
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Nervous Descender
    I usually average about 20 mph on my old road bike. My direct commute is only 3 miles- usually 8-9 minutes and not enough time to work up a sweat. It's just about as fast as driving when you factor in the get in the car, back out, park at work, walk in to office thing.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast