Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Dangerous but protected free speech in the US. Could get shot.

I have done it once after a motorist honked that I was taking, my lane, passed me illegally and much too close in the intersection (he had to really stomp on it) then he did the slow wave. "See? I can put you in your place." So I indicated in return, that I disagreed in no uncertain terms. He pulled over, we had a discussion, but seeing I was lean, fit and outweighed and outreached him, he decided to not assault me. We need to be polite. However, I don't think we need to be a doormat.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've stopped giving people the finger, but I'll yell at them from time to time when I can't contain myself or if I feel it's a matter of safety. Some people are nuts, and there's no telling what they will do in a fit of rage.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Difficult to give the finger wearing mitts...but most get it.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    One thumb salute for that thought
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Ya, it's shame they can't seen which finger I'm holding up.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've never seen someone not get the gesture, even in a mitt. It's usually accompanied by some pretty distinct body language

I've only flipped someone off once--riding along on a slushy day, they pulled up along side of me and stared at me for a good minute, riding on the slush and covering me in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I try never to react. It only encourages them.
    I've had people throw cans and bottles at me, open the passenger side doors as they drive by, clip me with their sideview mirrors. and on and on. Perhaps if people didn't spend so much time in cars, they wouldn't be so angry all the time.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by phartbrinson View Post
    I try never to react. It only encourages them.
    I've had people throw cans and bottles at me, open the passenger side doors as they drive by, clip me with their sideview mirrors. and on and on. Perhaps if people didn't spend so much time in cars, they wouldn't be so angry all the time.
    I'm a very, very vindictive person. I keep a "sh*t list" of drivers who have wronged me. I'm also an exceptionally visual person; I remember if I've seen that car before, and I use the sh*t list to verify if they're the same person.

I'm not one for wanton property damage, etc. - I only believe in doing annoying things that can cause no harm. However, valve core tools are incredibly easy to come by and deflate all 4 tires very quickly. I would put the car up on cinder blocks and remove the wheels if I could, but that requires a lot more effort than I'm prepared to do.

I never flip people off. Revenge is a dish best served cold. They'll be scratching their heads and wondering who would "randomly" attack their car.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by phartbrinson View Post
    Perhaps if people didn't spend so much time in cars, they wouldn't be so angry all the time.
    Awesome and true.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I'm a very, very vindictive person. I keep a "sh*t list" of drivers who have wronged me. I'm also an exceptionally visual person; I remember if I've seen that car before, and I use the sh*t list to verify if they're the same person.

I'm not one for wanton property damage, etc. - I only believe in doing annoying things that can cause no harm. However, valve core tools are incredibly easy to come by and deflate all 4 tires very quickly. I would put the car up on cinder blocks and remove the wheels if I could, but that requires a lot more effort than I'm prepared to do.

I never flip people off. Revenge is a dish best served cold. They'll be scratching their heads and wondering who would "randomly" attack their car.
    I did the valve core trick to my principle in HS when i got suspended for something i didnt do... Idiot bought 4 new tires.

No Stranger to danger....
    Fair enough, if you can give it you should be ready to take it, and if that means the driver of the car parking a few blocks up, putting his car in a side street and punching the ****e out of a smart ass biker, so be it, it works the other way around too.
    If you cant physically handle yourself and dont have the balls or courage to punch on with the person you have just insulted, dont do it in the first place.
    Where im from and in New Zealand a finger in the air is an invitation to punch on, too many cowards are happy to give it, but when confronted to punch on they lay on the ground after the first punch ,put their hands over their heads in the fetal position and cry victim.
    If your not man enough to punch on, dont insult somebody else with a cowardly finger, and who ever gets assaulted after they have given the finger deserves every punch they get.
    Last edited by Tone's; 02-27-2013 at 06:07 AM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Fair enough, if you can give it you should be ready to take it, and if that means the driver of the car parking a few blocks up, putting his car in a side street and punching the ****e out of a smart ass biker, so be it, it works the other way around too.
    If you cant physically handle yourself and dont have the balls or courage to punch on with the person you have just insulted, dont do it in the first place.
    Where im from and in New Zealand a finger in the air is an invitation to punch on, too many cowards are happy to give it, but when confronted to punch on they lay on the ground after the first punch ,put their hands over their heads in the fetal position and cry victim.
    If your not man enough to punch on, dont insult somebody else with a cowardly finger, and who ever gets assaulted after they have given the finger deserves every punch they get.
    I also treat every time someone tries to take me on as an attempt on my life. Too many king hits resulting in death due to brain injuries in Perth, West Australia make that a reality. Flip someone off like your life depended on it, because one day it might. And if you confront someone, be prepared for a complete wacko, because they very well might be one, and even worse, a wacko that's armed and dangerous.

Or, even worse, a vindictive bastard who will always remember who you are :P.

The 'cat' 49 year old on the bike who threw the finger as the driver was driving away is lucky he didnt throw it to a big Maori and wasnt beat into a coma on the spot.
    I dont cop that sort of disrespect either, id park up the road, wait for him and teach him a lesson, i live in kings cross/potts point, if you do that here on a friday or saturday night you can expect to be bashed unconcious in less that 20 seconds, ive had two deaths in my street in the last 6 months from people being smart asses then getting bashed, so the lesson is, if you dont know how to punch on nor have the balls to punch on, dont give people the finger, and if you do youve only got yourself to blame if you get bashed or killed..
    Last edited by Tone's; 02-27-2013 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The 'cat' 49 year old on the bike who threw the finger as the driver was driving away is lucky he didnt throw it to a big Maori and wasnt beat into a coma on the spot.
    I dont cop that sort of disrespect either, id park up the road, wait for him and teach him a lesson, i live in kings cross/potts point, if you do that here on a friday or saturday night you can expect to be bashed unconcious in less that 20 seconds, ive had two deaths in my street in the last 6 months from people being smart asses then getting bashed, so the lesson is, if you dont know how to punch on nor have the balls to punch on, dont give people the finger, and if you do youve only got yourself to blame if you get bashed or killed..
    You clearly do not understand how the law works...either tha or your law enforcement is part of the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You also miss the other option ie letting the fat **** try and catch you.

You clearly do not understand how the law works...either tha or your law enforcement is part of the problem.
    LOL, Jeff come to kings cross for a night or google it, or come to western sydney and see what its like, you have very little chance of being caught if you assault somebody, bashings are a part of life here its deeply rooted in the culture, and i recon smart asses deserve everything they get.

since 4/10/2009
    and people say Americans are violent.

I usually don't flip people off anymore, but I do angrily wave my hand at them and might yell if they have a window down to hear me.

I had someone get out of his car and come after me when I flipped him off. I was not on my bike that time. I was undergoing treatment for leukemia then and had all kinds of bandages and medical appliances attached to my body. I essentially called him a pu$$y for wanting to beat up a cancer patient. I think the exact phrase was, "oh, aren't you a tough guy wanting to beat up on a cancer patient?"

he still didn't back off until a nearby store manager threatened to call the police. he tried to tell me that flipping someone off was illegal and threatened to call the cops on me. I invited him to do so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As a kiwi, I'd just like to say that Australia IS NOT New Zealand.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have a driver that likes to throw his diesel truck into a lower gear and floor it dousing bikers in black smoke. He has gotten me twice. Each time I have called the police and reported him as a drunk driver. I am not lying to the police when I say he is driving erratically. I have seen him several times driving the same route so it is clearly his commute. One day I will catch up to him.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    As a kiwi, I'd just like to say that Australia IS NOT New Zealand.
    Thanks for clearing that up, with the amount of permanent kiwis living here i was getting confused.

mtbr member
    I suspect the finger would have different response levels in different parts of the US as well. Doing it near bars at close to closing time would not be healthy.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Different incident -> Cambridge, UK but same outcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Whoa, stereotype much?

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    These are some horrific stories! I don't flip people off but then I have very little reason to. When I lived in Salt Lake City, there was a guy in our club who had a small revolver strapped to his saddle. A bit extreme for me but I guess it did indicate what kind of commute he had.

Larry

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Cyclist Assaulted after One FInger Salute

For no apparent reason, my uncle was pushed off his bike by someone reaching out of the passenger window of a car. Stuff like that is one of my major excuses for 'why I hardly ride my road bike'

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Scary stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Last edited by skiwallace; 04-12-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Double post
    'One Mind, One Gear, One Love'

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

This is a crazy statement, I am a kiwi living in Australia and I say bollocks to that mate.
    Expressing your disgust at some persons lack of respect for your space on the road is not an invitation to punch on, it is an expression of your feelingly that moment (often threatened or endangered by their driving)! It is assault to "punch on" ( a ridiculous Australian bogan term) and to react like that because you were out of line in the first place.....madness. The issue seems to me to be that the muppets who endanger us (cyclists) by driving so dangerously don't have the intelligence or the integrity to accept that they are in the wrong and when given some visual feedback about that fact ( the finger) they react, instead of adjusting their own action so as not to cause a reoccurance, but with violence. Really mature.
    But I guess my real point here, is: if you wish to put yourself out there as a low bred type who has no other choice but to react with violence to such a situation fine, just don't rope all the rest off the antipodeans into the same boat. We are not all like that, there are plenty of rationally minded people in NZ and AU who have the capacity to act in a mature and manner to such a situation.
    I propose that a bit more understanding from both sides of the fence, that we need to share the worlds resources ( even roads) would make the world a whole lot easier place to live.
    'One Mind, One Gear, One Love'

Quote Originally Posted by skiwallace View Post
    This is a crazy statement, I am a kiwi living in Australia and I say bollocks to that mate.
    Expressing your disgust at some persons lack of respect for your space on the road is not an invitation to punch on, it is an expression of your feelingly that moment (often threatened or endangered by their driving)! It is assault to "punch on" ( a ridiculous Australian bogan term) and to react like that because you were out of line in the first place.....madness. The issue seems to me to be that the muppets who endanger us (cyclists) by driving so dangerously don't have the intelligence or the integrity to accept that they are in the wrong and when given some visual feedback about that fact ( the finger) they react, instead of adjusting their own action so as not to cause a reoccurance, but with violence. Really mature.
    But I guess my real point here, is: if you wish to put yourself out there as a low bred type who has no other choice but to react with violence to such a situation fine, just don't rope all the rest off the antipodeans into the same boat. We are not all like that, there are plenty of rationally minded people in NZ and AU who have the capacity to act in a mature and manner to such a situation.
    I propose that a bit more understanding from both sides of the fence, that we need to share the worlds resources ( even roads) would make the world a whole lot easier place to live.
    Whatever you recon mate, you give me the finger, thats called an invitation to punch on in my books and id hesitate all of five seconds like most people i know, where do you live ? i live in the heart of Kings Cross, give the wrong person here the finger and you will be knocked out, shot or glassed in about 30 seconds, in fact people die here all the time for less than that or nothing at all, a young bloke was killed in my street victoria street a few months ago for nothing at all, so you can deny the culture all you like but, come to where im from, get on your bike and start giving people the finger, see how you get on.
    And your living an illusion if you think that everybody that gives the finger on a bike are in the right, most are cats and cowards imo, that wouldnt do it if they wernt on a bike.
    cheers

banned
    Aug 2012
    Whatever you recon mate, you give me the finger, thats called an invitation to punch on in my books and id hesitate all of five seconds like most people i know, where do you live ? i live in the heart of Kings Cross, give the wrong person here the finger and you will be knocked out, shot or glassed in about 30 seconds, in fact people die here all the time for less than that or nothing at all, a young bloke was killed in my street victoria street a few months ago for nothing at all, so you can deny the culture all you like but, come to where im from, get on your bike and start giving people the finger, see how you get on.
    And your living an illusion if you think that everybody that gives the finger on a bike are in the right, most are cats and cowards imo, that wouldnt do it if they wernt on a bike.
    cheers
    Your Internet tough guy remarks might work ... And they might even work in your country ... But come to America, and start punching someone who gave you the finger, and find out how long it takes to get shot for physically assaulting someone.

Smith & Wesson made us all equal ... And a punch, has been proven in court, to be a deadly weapon.
    A single punch can, and has been deadly.

Bang = Meeting the threat with EQUAL force

ALL people should remember such things when their emotions start getting the better of them.

banned
    Aug 2012
    And on the flip side (pun intended).
    Most who carry, don't play childish games with middle fingers, when they get upset over another persons display of thoughtlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Your Internet tough guy remarks might work ... And they might even work in your country ... But come to America, and start punching someone who gave you the finger, and find out how long it takes to get shot for physically assaulting someone.

Smith & Wesson made us all equal ... And a punch, has been proven in court, to be a deadly weapon.
    A single punch can, and has been deadly.

Bang = Meeting the threat with EQUAL force

ALL people should remember such things when their emotions start getting the better of them.
    You have just proven my point.

For every action theres a reaction, sometimes bigger than, lesser than or equal to.

If some smart ass wants to give the finger he should be ready for a reaction back.

Simple as that.

So if one person didnt insult somebody in the first place with a finger, the situation might not escalate, and if thats your go or anybody elses expect that one day there will be an even bigger reaction back, just as you have pointed out..

since 4/10/2009

Cyclist Assaulted after One FInger Salute

And later on, the law will come down harder on the person who takes a dispute into the physical realm than the person who only used words or gestures except maybe in a few isolated areas that punish people heavily for using certain language or gestures.

I flipped a guy off while driving because he was being an a$$ and he got out of his car later to confront me. Tried intimidating me by telling me that flipping him off was illegal. I called bs and invited him to call the police. I think the police would have taken a poor view of him for going road ragey on me and getting out of his car and approaching angrily.

Still, I try to avoid flipping people off because it is inflammatory. You never know what lunatics might do and Tone's is illustrating that well enough. These days my verbal responses tend to be "hey" or "whoa" and gestures are an upturned hand as though asking "wtf are you doing?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No, if you endanger someone's life, you should be prepared to at least hear or see someone's disgust/anger/fear because of your foolish/selfish actions. I try to suppress giving the finger to drivers because I don't want to further incite road rage, but giving the finger is not equivalent to giving a beating.

banned
    Aug 2012
    You have just proven my point.

For every action theres a reaction, sometimes bigger than, lesser than or equal to.

If some smart ass wants to give the finger he should be ready for a reaction back.

Simple as that.

So if one person didnt insult somebody in the first place with a finger, the situation might not escalate, and if thats your go or anybody elses expect that one day there will be an even bigger reaction back, just as you have pointed out..
    Mental children often get the worst of a situation ... BECAUSE they can't control their emotions

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    No, if you endanger someone's life, you should be prepared to at least hear or see someone's disgust/anger/fear because of your foolish/selfish actions. I try to suppress giving the finger to drivers because I don't want to further incite road rage, but giving the finger is not equivalent to giving a beating.
    But wait ... Look at those words closely.

Tones is defending the guy who escalated it to violence ... Just because the guy who escalated it, got flipped off.

Sorry Tones,
    But ya can't have it both ways.

Someone flipping you off is not an excuse for violence.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Cyclist Assaulted after One FInger Salute

cheers
    You're an idiot. No one cares about what country your idiot head fell out of your mother's idiot dispenser. In most civilized places, physically assaulting someone over a hand gesture is:

A.) Liable to get your dumb ass stabbed/shot/jumped.
    B.) Against the law. Hopefully the judge will accept "It's an invitation to punch on in my books" as a defense.
    C.) Just plain stupid and anti-social.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Whatever you recon mate, you give me the finger, thats called an invitation to punch on in my books
    Bang !

Nuff Said

banned
    Aug 2012
    Back pedal ?

squish, squish in da fish
    ha, this brings back a memory from almost a year ago. ppl be prepared to defend yourself for your actions. so i had a bad day at work and when i got home i jumped on my bike and headed for the trailhead 3 miles away. almost half way there, there was a guy who has called me a *** a couple times previously, at it again. well this time he was by himself in his car and the light turned red. i had it with this f**k so i took my juicy kodiak dip from my lip and threw it through his window. it smacked him in his face and i began laughing hysterically & thats when all hell broke lose. he parked it got out and you guessed it, it was on. both got arrested and i had 6 months probation. it was well worth it and i still see him driving around. funny how he pretends to not even see me. its been several years since i fought and damn it felt good.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Pretty simple: don't drive around me like an @$$hole, endangering me or mine, and we'll never interact. Act like I don't belong on "your" road, and you'll get a reaction. Come out of your car, well...you BETTER be armed, or the stand-in for the convict in Green Mile.

I know where and how to hit; screw this street-boxing crap, I'll feed you your balls. After putting it on the line for my country and getting f*cked over it, I'm not inclined to be nice to the stupid among my fellow countrymen.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Moderator Moderator

Better not shrug your shoulders either

squish, squish in da fish
    LOL north cave man should have beat him with his caveman club like captain caveman. LOL

mtbr member
    I'm with Tones on this one. Better not fly the bird in my neck of the woods unless you can back it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Can't everybody share the road? Here in MA, it is the rule. Motorists better get used to it. A little respect goes a long way, both sides. We have what we call, Ma$$hole drivers in these parts. I shout when I need to.

Talentless Hack
    I seriously get flipped dozens of times a year by motorists, and that's just the ones that I can see through non-tint windows.

When I do respond (rarely) I usually reply with more *creative* gestures myself, since being on the bike allows much more animated non-verbal responses. (I seriously gave a guy a pseudo-chicken-dance one time.)

Either way, it never occurred to me that it was supposed to be an invitation for a fisticuffs or a gun battle.

Regional differences perhaps.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    I have a driver that likes to throw his diesel truck into a lower gear and floor it dousing bikers in black smoke. He has gotten me twice. Each time I have called the police and reported him as a drunk driver. I am not lying to the police when I say he is driving erratically. I have seen him several times driving the same route so it is clearly his commute. One day I will catch up to him.
    I have the same thing happen to me. I actually havent been able to ride for a few weeks so i caught in min my car last week and took some pictures of his license plate. His dam truck has these huge mirrors too which come way to close to my head. He purposely comes into my lane really close to me just to smoke me out every time. now that i have his plate i think im going to call it in.

mtbr member
    I suppose that drivers who don't think of cyclists as people let alone as equals, are not capable of seeing themselves as having done anything to deserve an objection from such as us (a lower-lifeform). We ride a bike so we are different. Further, we promote a lifestyle that suggests they are not as good for the environment, their health, traffic, etc, as we are. That perceived 'holier than thou' attitude added to the misconception of us being in their way, is not going to make them like us any better, is it?

I have found that the excessively polite response leaves such people incapable of a come-back. The smile and wave sort of thing others have mentioned, seems to work well. The 'Careful' is not as judgmental as 'Hey!'. Our goal is safe passage and to a degree, communicating we are people too, without getting ego tied up in it. The problem is that the adrenalin spike of nearly getting killed tends to short-circuit our politest responses. So it takes forethought and practice.

We can only control our actions. We can defuse the tensions some, sometimes. Some carry guns here. Something I try to keep in mind before using an Italian Salute.

BrianMc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast