Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Dangerous but protected free speech in the US. Could get shot.

I have done it once after a motorist honked that I was taking, my lane, passed me illegally and much too close in the intersection (he had to really stomp on it) then he did the slow wave. "See? I can put you in your place." So I indicated in return, that I disagreed in no uncertain terms. He pulled over, we had a discussion, but seeing I was lean, fit and outweighed and outreached him, he decided to not assault me. We need to be polite. However, I don't think we need to be a doormat.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've stopped giving people the finger, but I'll yell at them from time to time when I can't contain myself or if I feel it's a matter of safety. Some people are nuts, and there's no telling what they will do in a fit of rage.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Difficult to give the finger wearing mitts...but most get it.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    One thumb salute for that thought
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Ya, it's shame they can't seen which finger I'm holding up.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've never seen someone not get the gesture, even in a mitt. It's usually accompanied by some pretty distinct body language

I've only flipped someone off once--riding along on a slushy day, they pulled up along side of me and stared at me for a good minute, riding on the slush and covering me in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I try never to react. It only encourages them.
    I've had people throw cans and bottles at me, open the passenger side doors as they drive by, clip me with their sideview mirrors. and on and on. Perhaps if people didn't spend so much time in cars, they wouldn't be so angry all the time.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by phartbrinson View Post
    I try never to react. It only encourages them.
    I've had people throw cans and bottles at me, open the passenger side doors as they drive by, clip me with their sideview mirrors. and on and on. Perhaps if people didn't spend so much time in cars, they wouldn't be so angry all the time.
    I'm a very, very vindictive person. I keep a "sh*t list" of drivers who have wronged me. I'm also an exceptionally visual person; I remember if I've seen that car before, and I use the sh*t list to verify if they're the same person.

I'm not one for wanton property damage, etc. - I only believe in doing annoying things that can cause no harm. However, valve core tools are incredibly easy to come by and deflate all 4 tires very quickly. I would put the car up on cinder blocks and remove the wheels if I could, but that requires a lot more effort than I'm prepared to do.

I never flip people off. Revenge is a dish best served cold. They'll be scratching their heads and wondering who would "randomly" attack their car.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by phartbrinson View Post
    Perhaps if people didn't spend so much time in cars, they wouldn't be so angry all the time.
    Awesome and true.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I'm a very, very vindictive person. I keep a "sh*t list" of drivers who have wronged me. I'm also an exceptionally visual person; I remember if I've seen that car before, and I use the sh*t list to verify if they're the same person.

I'm not one for wanton property damage, etc. - I only believe in doing annoying things that can cause no harm. However, valve core tools are incredibly easy to come by and deflate all 4 tires very quickly. I would put the car up on cinder blocks and remove the wheels if I could, but that requires a lot more effort than I'm prepared to do.

I never flip people off. Revenge is a dish best served cold. They'll be scratching their heads and wondering who would "randomly" attack their car.
    I did the valve core trick to my principle in HS when i got suspended for something i didnt do... Idiot bought 4 new tires.

No Stranger to danger....
    Fair enough, if you can give it you should be ready to take it, and if that means the driver of the car parking a few blocks up, putting his car in a side street and punching the shite out of a smart ass biker, so be it, it works the other way around too.
    If you cant physically handle yourself and dont have the balls or courage to punch on with the person you have just insulted, dont do it in the first place.
    Where im from and in New Zealand a finger in the air is an invitation to punch on, too many cowards are happy to give it, but when confronted to punch on they lay on the ground after the first punch ,put their hands over their heads in the fetal position and cry victim.
    If your not man enough to punch on, dont insult somebody else with a cowardly finger, and who ever gets assaulted after they have given the finger deserves every punch they get.
    Last edited by Tone's; 02-27-2013 at 06:07 AM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Fair enough, if you can give it you should be ready to take it, and if that means the driver of the car parking a few blocks up, putting his car in a side street and punching the shite out of a smart ass biker, so be it, it works the other way around too.
    If you cant physically handle yourself and dont have the balls or courage to punch on with the person you have just insulted, dont do it in the first place.
    Where im from and in New Zealand a finger in the air is an invitation to punch on, too many cowards are happy to give it, but when confronted to punch on they lay on the ground after the first punch ,put their hands over their heads in the fetal position and cry victim.
    If your not man enough to punch on, dont insult somebody else with a cowardly finger, and who ever gets assaulted after they have given the finger deserves every punch they get.
    I also treat every time someone tries to take me on as an attempt on my life. Too many king hits resulting in death due to brain injuries in Perth, West Australia make that a reality. Flip someone off like your life depended on it, because one day it might. And if you confront someone, be prepared for a complete wacko, because they very well might be one, and even worse, a wacko that's armed and dangerous.

Or, even worse, a vindictive bastard who will always remember who you are :P.

The 'cat' 49 year old on the bike who threw the finger as the driver was driving away is lucky he didnt throw it to a big Maori and wasnt beat into a coma on the spot.
    I dont cop that sort of disrespect either, id park up the road, wait for him and teach him a lesson, i live in kings cross/potts point, if you do that here on a friday or saturday night you can expect to be bashed unconcious in less that 20 seconds, ive had two deaths in my street in the last 6 months from people being smart asses then getting bashed, so the lesson is, if you dont know how to punch on nor have the balls to punch on, dont give people the finger, and if you do youve only got yourself to blame if you get bashed or killed..
    Last edited by Tone's; 02-27-2013 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The 'cat' 49 year old on the bike who threw the finger as the driver was driving away is lucky he didnt throw it to a big Maori and wasnt beat into a coma on the spot.
    I dont cop that sort of disrespect either, id park up the road, wait for him and teach him a lesson, i live in kings cross/potts point, if you do that here on a friday or saturday night you can expect to be bashed unconcious in less that 20 seconds, ive had two deaths in my street in the last 6 months from people being smart asses then getting bashed, so the lesson is, if you dont know how to punch on nor have the balls to punch on, dont give people the finger, and if you do youve only got yourself to blame if you get bashed or killed..
    You clearly do not understand how the law works...either tha or your law enforcement is part of the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You also miss the other option ie letting the fat **** try and catch you.

You clearly do not understand how the law works...either tha or your law enforcement is part of the problem.
    LOL, Jeff come to kings cross for a night or google it, or come to western sydney and see what its like, you have very little chance of being caught if you assault somebody, bashings are a part of life here its deeply rooted in the culture, and i recon smart asses deserve everything they get.

and people say Americans are violent.

I usually don't flip people off anymore, but I do angrily wave my hand at them and might yell if they have a window down to hear me.

I had someone get out of his car and come after me when I flipped him off. I was not on my bike that time. I was undergoing treatment for leukemia then and had all kinds of bandages and medical appliances attached to my body. I essentially called him a pu$$y for wanting to beat up a cancer patient. I think the exact phrase was, "oh, aren't you a tough guy wanting to beat up on a cancer patient?"

he still didn't back off until a nearby store manager threatened to call the police. he tried to tell me that flipping someone off was illegal and threatened to call the cops on me. I invited him to do so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As a kiwi, I'd just like to say that Australia IS NOT New Zealand.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have a driver that likes to throw his diesel truck into a lower gear and floor it dousing bikers in black smoke. He has gotten me twice. Each time I have called the police and reported him as a drunk driver. I am not lying to the police when I say he is driving erratically. I have seen him several times driving the same route so it is clearly his commute. One day I will catch up to him.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    As a kiwi, I'd just like to say that Australia IS NOT New Zealand.
    Thanks for clearing that up, with the amount of permanent kiwis living here i was getting confused.

mtbr member
    I suspect the finger would have different response levels in different parts of the US as well. Doing it near bars at close to closing time would not be healthy.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Different incident -> Cambridge, UK but same outcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Whoa, stereotype much?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast