MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008

Cycling Night Light....

I'd like to purchase a light to mount to my handlebars for regular commutes during the night. I live in a high moisturized area by the ocean so a waterproof (or moisture-proof) body is preferred other features needed are high battery life on alkaline batteries w/o large battery packs, fairly light weight, slide on/off and reliable. Any suggestion.

Planet bike looks like a decent line up.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

I like mud
    Consider mounting bright LED lights on your helmet.

I ride at night and have moved all my lights from the bars to the helmet because then it will illuminate where I turn my head.

I use two small LED flashlights, inserted into a section of innertube (it makes them waterproof) and then use cable ties to fasten them to my helmet.

Each light cost about US $7.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There are two types of lights for bicycles one is designed to provide the rider with visibility in the dark; and the other is designed to make the rider visible to other vehicles in the dark. I have not seen any that are effective at both unless you get in to the high range (and high cost lights). I would recomend getting one of each. Flashers are the most effective at making yourself visible to others and they are relatively cheap. I use flashers on front and rear. As far as something to provide you with visibility you might want to try the helmet lights mentioned above. They always point the light in the direction you are looking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm looking at this...........http://www.dinottelighting.com/

I just don't like the price

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought an Amoeba light from the MTBR user Scar. It's been a great helmet mounted light. Very bright. Cars sometimes stop because they don't know what the source of the bobbing light is. But the entire package, light, battery, charger, cord, mounting velco, is $210 shipped.

I have the combo set. It works well for me and the lights have great battery life. The mounting brackets are ingenious too, Its easy to un-clip both lights when you're not riding at night. I didn't think the lights would be that great for the money I spent.. $29.99

http://www.blackburndesign.com/lights.html
    get to the choppa!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    +1 for the Blackburn combo. I use the Mars 3.0 on chase and the Quadrant on steady. The Quadrant (headlight) is good enough to shine 6-8 ft. ahead of me so I can get a heads-up on big potholes.

You only have five bikes?
    Mar 2008
    I use a Nite Hawk Emitter, a single bulb light, mounted to my helmet. I ride home on dark roads, no streetlights, and this light works fine. Also, to be seen by approaching cars, I run a small white blinky on my fork.
    The Nite Hawk is small, uses four rechargebles, which last about a week worth of rides. It is hard to turn on or off due to a bulky switch, but overall it has served me well.
    I found it online for less than $100.
    Burnsey
    Stumpjumper Pro

Everyone Bleeds!

Cool-blue Rhythm Happy with the Dinotte

Quote Originally Posted by bjm442
    I'm looking at this...........http://www.dinottelighting.com/

I just don't like the price
    I've been using this for about 2 years now, primarily for commuting. Great light! Very happy with it. Good lights cost $$$.
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!