Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008

Cycling in the news today

I want to hear from both sides of the issue on this one if you can.

There's a Taco Bell near my house that I often get my fix at on the way to work. I'd prefer to not leave my rig, at a grand total of $2k with current parts outside, but no drive-through love for a cyclist. I became such a regular customer there, that I was able to sweet-talk the manager into allowing them to serve me through the drive-through, so long as the lane's not super-full.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2008/n...es-a-stand-in/

should they let us drive-through? or no?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I guess I'm curious... what is the "safety hazard"? To the drive thru operator or the bicyclist? I don't really see the validity of either way.

I think while unorthodox, yes, we should be allowed in the drive-thru.

I've never understood the reluctance of the fast food chains to not allow bicycles in the drive-thru (at least I've always seen stories about the prohibition, assume this is the norm). I never even thought of it being a safety issue and have trouble understanding how it is one (other than cars could more easily damage the cyclist than vice versa should there be an accident in the line). I really don't see sitting on a bike in the line among the idling cars as being conducive to an appetite, but I am a rare customer of these outlets in any case (there pretty much has to be no other choice for food when on a road trip). I can't think of any good reasons to prohibit cyclists or pedestrians if they want to order that way.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

weirdo
    Suspision of tresspassing? So they aren`t sure if he was there or not? They don`t know whether it was private property or not? Maybe he was a hologram? WTF did they get the "suspision" part from?

No, I don`t understand why they don`t want bikes in the drivethrough either and don`t see what`s unsafe about it. But if somebody tells me they don`t want my business I`ll spend my dime another place. They tell you to go, go. If I ever own a fast food restaurant (don`t hold your breath) you`ll be welcome until my insurance company tells me otherwise.

mtbr member
    Fast food restaurants with drive thrus generally do not allow people to walk or bike through the drive thru because of liability reasons. In the sue happy land of North America, if someone actually got hit and injured by a car inside the drive thru, you can bet that some moron would try to place blame on the restaurant for allowing such a 'risk' to happen. And then it's also bad PR, etc, etc, we all know the BS.

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    actually the way they describe it to me, is that it's much easier to jump through the incredibly tiny window to rob them, vs jumping out of a car and doing the same. seriously.... because i couldn't do that inside? OH WAIT I WALKED INSIDE, I'M INSIDE ALREADY WTF! problem solved! more easily robbed going inside. GOOD GAME.

mtbr member
    The safety issue is rubbish. There's no more risk involved than riding anywhere else on the face of the earth. However, maybe they're concerned about what happens once you've received your order - do you have a rack or basket to carry it? Is it gonna hang off your 'bars? Maybe THAT'S dangerous???

I just don't get why they'd potentially knock back customers? Someone made the effort to travel to their store with the obvious intention of making a purchase so why tell them they can't get drive through? What's the difference between riding there, parking, going in, ordering and leaving and just getting "ride through"? It's all business!

I say "vote 1 for 'ride through'!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've always heard it's a liability issue, but it's obviously no more hazardous than stoplight-to-stoplight traffic. I always make the most of McDs liability anyway by using their drive-thru and parking lot as a shortcut.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The cyclist had a camera obviously he was there to start s*** with them. It was a good stunt to pull for the attention. I Still i think they should serve cyclists.

Drive throughs have sensors that detect vehicles, a cyclist would stop in front and wait to be served and it won't pick up his presence making cars behind wait.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Being on a bicycle in between a fat person in a car and the fast food window is a very dangerous place to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd think if the inside was closed, they should serve anyone through the window. I worked in a fast food place in high school, we had a guy come through the drive through all the time on a horse. We were told to tell people walking to come inside if the lobby was open, otherwise, they'd just order at the window.

Nothing wrong with a bike, just take your business where it is wanted.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    I worked in a fast food place in high school, we had a guy come through the drive through all the time on a horse.
    ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!one!!!!!!!! I'll have to try that sometime.

But yeah, it is indeed a liability issue. It is private property and unlike being on a public street, if you get bapped the property owners are directly responsible. Blame the insurance companies, they're blood-sucking vampires.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Ride-Drink Beer-Repeat
    Gee insurance companies are the bad guy? I think its the lawyers that do all the suing. Insurance Co are the ones with the deep pockets. If a lawyer sues a individual they have to set up garnishment payments because you and I have no money. But the insurance company will pay a large sum NOW. Makes that BMW payment much easier. I'd much rather have the Insurance Co pay for my stupidity than me.
    Most Sonic drive ins have a special walk up area.
    The Internet: All the piracy, none of the scurvy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is kind of off topic, but I remember seeing a guy on foot at a Taco Bell begging for someone to let him purchase some food through the drive through window. The lobby had closed and he was waving his money around saying that he just wanted a few tacos. I remember thinking to myself, "What are you supposed to do if you want some fast food in the middle of the night and you don't have a car?"

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    disagreed sir, that's ON topic. i've been in that same exact spot. i used to live in an apartment DIRECTLY next to a taco bell, in fact i often parked in their parking lot when mine was full. but i was sensible enough to know that after a few guiness', i couldn't get in my car and hit the drive-through at 2am, so instead i had to call and order a price-gouged pizza that usually ran close to $25 after tip and delivery, and it was never enough (superclyde was 340 then! at 6 foot 9)

edit: and riding a bike while intoxicated WILL get you arrested with a DUI/DWI! DO NOT ATTEMPT!

off-topic: fourth-meal is super cheap, all-be-it super-awful for me

super off-topic: i work for a radio station, and when doing a scan of the news for interesting things to talk about on-air, i found this little story, and figured i'd bring it to mtbr for you all

Sweep the leg!
    If you wnat things to change you need to do something about it instead of whining.

Go to http://www.jackinthebox.com/contactus/index.php and fill out the form with some basic information and then tell THEM how you feel.

I did and I added though I don't eat a lot of fast food from my bicycle, I'll boycott the lobbies until I hear they've had the Police in Kitsap drop all charges.

Off topic: My brother in law used to manage the Jack in the Box that had the E. coli O157:H7 outbreak that first started the trend.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranman
    Gee insurance companies are the bad guy? I think its the lawyers that do all the suing. Insurance Co are the ones with the deep pockets. If a lawyer sues a individual they have to set up garnishment payments because you and I have no money. But the insurance company will pay a large sum NOW. Makes that BMW payment much easier. I'd much rather have the Insurance Co pay for my stupidity than me.
    Most Sonic drive ins have a special walk up area.
    If they pay, and they always try to find a way out of paying. It's how the insurance game works.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    Being on a bicycle in between a fat person in a car and the fast food window is a very dangerous place to be.
    Okay, being a big guy myself, that was funny!

But you do bring up a point. Ever watch the masses as the navigate the drive through windows? Watch them. On the phone, digging for money as they drive etc...I have seen people jump curbs, ram cars in front of them, hit the building, trucks smash the over head and lot's of fun stuff.

Take an afternoon, ride down to the busiest drive through you know, have a cold beverage and a sandwich and watch the show!

I always park outside and walk in, chaining the bike up every time. I don't want to be in the drive through, but I wonder about the validity of a walk up window for after hours service for those not in cars?
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

LCI #1853
    I learned a long time ago that Taco Bell is not good bike fuel, at least not for me. So I avoid those places in the first place. I'm a lot more likely to stay away now, just for their general blockheadedness.

I'm not a fan of drive-throughs anyway. At least get a little exercise by getting of of the cage and limping across the parking lot...
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    [SIZE="1"](with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)[/SIZE]

Known Mountainbiker
    I had the same problem at my bank. They said they didn't serve walk ups at the drive thru. I told them I didn't walk up; I rode up just like a motorcycle. They changed their policy when I brought my bike inside and asked to withdraw all my money.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late