Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,175

    Is Cycling as Dangerous as Football?


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,390
    cycling downtown is more dangerous.
    on a football field, at the worst of times, there's a maximum of 11 objects careening towards you each approx 2-300 pounds.
    on a single commute that number could be doubled or tripled on each block, but each object's mass is measured in tonnes, and they're potentially travelling much faster.

    football impacts are human on human, the force exerted by a vehicle on a human is much much higher.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    cycling downtown is more dangerous.
    on a football field, at the worst of times, there's a maximum of 11 objects careening towards you each approx 2-300 pounds.
    on a single commute that number could be doubled or tripled on each block, but each object's mass is measured in tonnes, and they're potentially travelling much faster.

    football impacts are human on human, the force exerted by a vehicle on a human is much much higher.
    Yeah, but each football player gets hit countless times in their career. Many cyclists go their whole life without getting hit once.

    Without statistics, it's really impossible to draw any conclusions.
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

  4. #4
    Rohloff
    Reputation: bsdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,485
    [IMG]
    Researched and produced by Advanced Physical Medicine - Chicago Physical Therapy Specialists[/IMG]

  5. #5
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,998

  6. #6
    Natural Born Killer
    Reputation: nemhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    365
    "On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone is zero" How dangerous is sitting on the couch all the time? I'm laid up on the couch post knee surgery, and I'm sick to death of friends and relatives poo-pooing my various injuries. I guess its better to have heart disease and diabetes and ride an electric cart in WalMart; rant off!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newfangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,879
    When it comes to cycling statistics it's always worth remembering two things:

    Drunks ride bikes
    Kids ride bikes

    Those two demographics can skew things a lot, to the point that an experienced, sober, reasonably law-abiding cyclist is statistically playing a whole different "game".

    I've always liked this site for it's attempt to breakdown cycling safety:
    Is Cycling Dangerous? -- The Risk of Bicycle Use -- Accidents, Fatalities, Injuries, and Benefits

    Injuries per Million Hours
    Football 1,900
    Squash 1,300
    Basketball 1,100
    Soccer 600
    Bicycling 50

    Fatalities per Million Hours
    Skydiving 128.71
    General Flying 15.58
    Motorcycling 8.80
    Scuba Diving 1.98
    Living 1.53
    Swimming 1.07
    Snowmobiling .88
    Motoring .47
    Water skiing .28
    Bicycling .26
    Airline Flying .15
    Hunting .08
    Last edited by newfangled; 09-17-2012 at 01:28 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    838
    Don't forget the drunk, ninja, salmon cyclist. Driving a car is a lot more dangerous than pedaling a bike. Just look at accident and death rates for the 2.

  9. #9
    I Ride for Donuts
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,275
    Cycling has waaaaaaaaaaaay to many variables to compare to a sport that happens on a given playing field/court. Most cycling injuries probably happen to people who don't even consider it a sport, like how tripping on the sidewalk shouldn't be considered a 'running' injury.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  10. #10
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,202
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Cycling has waaaaaaaaaaaay to many variables to compare to a sport that happens on a given playing field/court. Most cycling injuries probably happen to people who don't even consider it a sport, like how tripping on the sidewalk shouldn't be considered a 'running' injury.
    absolutely. but to be honest, by the criteria here, I've never been "injured" doing any of the activities in the survey, but I HAVE been injured doing most of the ones I've participated in. I played soccer for years (and still do on and off) and that's the one sport I've had multiple doctor's visits over. No ER visits. just regular doctor's appointments. I was stomped on once, damaging ligaments in my foot (appointment occurred months after initial injury, because it got worse). I also had a repetitive stress injury to my knees. in mtb, I've had numerous cuts and scrapes. just general riding I've injured myself, too.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,971
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    When it comes to cycling statistics it's always worth remembering two things:

    Drunks ride bikes
    Kids ride bikes

    Those two demographics can skew things a lot, to the point that an experienced, sober, reasonably law-abiding cyclist is statistically playing a whole different "game".

    I've always liked this site for it's attempt to breakdown cycling safety:
    Is Cycling Dangerous? -- The Risk of Bicycle Use -- Accidents, Fatalities, Injuries, and Benefits

    Injuries per Million Hours
    Football 1,900
    Squash 1,300
    Basketball 1,100
    Soccer 600
    Bicycling 50

    Fatalities per Million Hours
    Skydiving 128.71
    General Flying 15.58
    Motorcycling 8.80
    Scuba Diving 1.98
    Living 1.53
    Swimming 1.07
    Snowmobiling .88
    Motoring .47
    Water skiing .28
    Bicycling .26
    Airline Flying .15
    Hunting .08
    Very good compliation here....

    Unfortunately you need to dig down a little further Downhill MTB....XC racing MTB....trail riding....commuting...road riding.....road training...triathelon training...etc.

    That would really paint the picture.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,175
    Despite the inflammatory headline comparing football and cycling, the main point of the article was that cyclists are susceptible to concussions, and often just pedal on, whether because it's a race or they just need to get home from a ride that went bad. And perhaps we should pay more attention when this happens, as the article concludes: "For now, concussion in cycling advocates including Dr. Abramson urge all cyclists to wear a helmet and be aware of concussion symptoms in themselves and others after a high speed injury."

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    692
    Do most riders just never go down? I mean I know some don't. My wife never does, she only rides when it's sunny and dry. But when you go down on a bike, you can go down hard. The ground is hard, cars are hard and heavy. There were only 2 times really that I couldn't get back up after going down. Only one of those required an ER visit, though another fall that I did ride home from called for a later ER visit. I know the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'. Commuting is more of an extreme sport than a lot of people are willing to admit, though.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Despite the inflammatory headline comparing football and cycling, the main point of the article was that cyclists are susceptible to concussions, and often just pedal on, whether because it's a race or they just need to get home from a ride that went bad. And perhaps we should pay more attention when this happens, as the article concludes: "For now, concussion in cycling advocates including Dr. Abramson urge all cyclists to wear a helmet and be aware of concussion symptoms in themselves and others after a high speed injury."
    Something interesting that I noticed when a friend recently got a concussion while DHing...

    Two friends and I were going to Kingdom Trails for the weekend earlier this year. They both DH as well and I don't. They went to Highlands Mountain Bike Park on the way and I was supposed to be meeting them there and we would continue up to East Burke, VT. I got a text a little before I left from one friend saying the other fell pretty bad and hit his head so hard he cracked his helmet. I called and asked if he thought he should go to the hospital and my uninjured friend said "no, he said he's fine". When I met them, I insisted we bring him to the hospital, I'm not going to trust the word of someone who just possible had a brain injury. Turns out, he had gotten a concussion and 3 months later he's still getting concussion headaches.

    The point I'm trying to make is when you're playing an organized sport, there's several other people, sometimes doctors/trainers, and there's a good chance someone will get you to do the right thing. When cycling, you're often alone or just with a friend so there's not as many people to be level headed (pun intended).
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •