mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Cycle computer for after dark

I want to get a computer that has a backlight because before too long, it's going to be dark both ways on my commute. I've been looking at the Vetta RT255L but few places seem to carry them and that makes me a little leary.

GPS is well out of my price range. I'd like to stay below $100.

Thanks for your suggestions/warnings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Helmet mounted light would be a better investment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Perhaps so...in that case...what (unlit) computer do you recommend?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i would recommend http://blackburndesign.com/cyclometer.html

however i use a gps myself, i'm sure you could find the Garmin 205 at a cheap price on ebay.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Helmet mounted light would be a better investment.
    Agreed… backlights require a button press and the ones I've used time out too quickly to see what need to be see. Plus the backlights tend to suck batteries, unless the newer technology has substantially addressed that.

Then you've got the problem of the backlight likely being too dim to read if you've just been staring at the flood of your headlight. Again, by the time you squint long enough and/or your eyes adjust, either the backlight seems to time out or you've already run smack into that parked car or tree branch you stopped looking for.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    SIGMA BC1606L - but have not used this one...have other Sigma models still going onto the third bike, so no excuse to get a new one!

Which way? Uphill.
    Do not get the Cateye MicroWireless, worst backlight ever.

I have a friend that got a cheap Schwinn computer at Target that actually has an indigo backlight, that works well.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Do not get the Cateye MicroWireless, worst backlight ever.
    LOL!! I just bought that exact model last night at the LBS. I didn't even know it had a backlight at first. I'm planning on getting a head lamp as suggested anyway. It seems like a pretty nice computer though. But you are right...the backlight is kinda puny.

Thanks, everyone for your advice.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    LOL!! I just bought that exact model last night at the LBS. I didn't even know it had a backlight at first. I'm planning on getting a head lamp as suggested anyway. It seems like a pretty nice computer though. But you are right...the backlight is kinda puny.

Thanks, everyone for your advice.
    I like it for the two different trip odometers on it, but the backlight was what pushed it over other models for me, then I go out on night rides/races and it's useless.

Well, not completely useless, the light stays on as you press buttons so if I'm stopped and scrolling through to get to the odometer I want it stays lit.

Decent functionality, just poor backlight. It reminds me of watches from the 80's taht had a little light on the side that didn't do much at all.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    It reminds me of watches from the 80's taht had a little light on the side that didn't do much at all.
    Exactly! It goes perfectly with my retro 80's bike!!