mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Current state of locks for fat bikes?

I'm having a blast riding my new-to-me Pugsley around. Commuting about 10 miles per day and bombing around on the weekends.

I'm thinking about doing some errands here and there, but don't really know anything about the current state of good bike locks.

I've looked at an old thread here, but I figure that the state of the art must have advanced some since then.

What are you using for fatbike theft deterrence? I anticipate locking the bike outside large, public places with stout metal pole bike racks, and not leaving the bike there for very long. Would also probable like to lock it to my Thule Raceway Pro, as the built-in lock is pretty much useless to any tool-carrying would-be thief.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by urbsuburb2017 View Post
    I'm having a blast riding my new-to-me Pugsley around. Commuting about 10 miles per day and bombing around on the weekends.

I'm thinking about doing some errands here and there, but don't really know anything about the current state of good bike locks.

I've looked at an old thread here, but I figure that the state of the art must have advanced some since then.

What are you using for fatbike theft deterrence? I anticipate locking the bike outside large, public places with stout metal pole bike racks, and not leaving the bike there for very long. Would also probable like to lock it to my Thule Raceway Pro, as the built-in lock is pretty much useless to any tool-carrying would-be thief.
    The New York U lock by Kryptonite. And remember, no lock is thief proof. If its a nice enough bike, and you keep it locked up long enough in the same spot, it'll dissapear.

Human Test Subject
    Just a regular lock for the frame and locking skewers for the wheels. It's easy on a pug because they're quick releases, but expensive since you need a two pack for two rear 135 skewers.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

because GIANT
    planning on giving away your fatbike, eh ?
    "Eating Spam, and Oreos, and drinking Thunderbird, baby" -Baby Huey/James Ramey

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Meh. I guess just a New York U lock for basic protection. I'll have to go back and look at the skewers again, as well. Maybe just forget about the errands...