Moderator Moderator

Curious Citizen: Is Bikecommuting Risky?

Lots of factors. When you ride, where you ride, how you react around others and situations that arise.

My suspicion is that bike commuting is most likely no less safe in most cases as driving a car, taking into account the above factors. I usually have at least one near miss every time I drive. Sometimes it's debris on the interstate. Sometimes it's dodging others. Sometimes I do stupid ****. I have not found that same frequency of issues on the bike, but close calls on the bike do get my adrenaline flowing more.

I applaud the dude for taking data collection into his own hands. Sounds like the sort of thing I would do. I have purchased scientific measuring/data collection gear for personal uses in the past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's less risky than driving and exercising that much less, which exposes you to both car accidents and sedentary diseases.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Seattle Roadway Death Dashboard Walking in Seattle has an interesting take on it. I remember reading some odds that statisticians crunched for cycling vs. walking or driving, and it was something like 200x less likely to be killed. Now, killed doesn't equate being hurt, but if danger is defined by mortality rate, cycling is safer than many other sports and activities.

Data was collated by Big Data number cruncher Tableau Software. A buddy of mine works there and has occasionally created some interesting graphs from their software interfaces.