bi-winning

Crosstown Collapsible Bicycle Trailer

This was designed by some engineering students who recently graduated from McMaster University. It won first t the Ontario Engineering Competition and second at the Canadian Engineering Competition. They have entered the James Dyson Award, an international engineering design competition for students based out of the U.K.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

weirdo
    Cool idea. It looks like it could use some refinements and a diet, but pretty usefull as is. So they`ve already tested it at the beer store, after they`ve test driven it to the doughnut shop I`ll order mine! Seriously though, is it being marketed and sold, or just an experiment and contest entry at this point?

bi-winning
    I don't think it is available for purchase yet, or know when it might be. The design has gone through several refinements already since the first prototype.

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/news/feature.html
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

bike the planet!
    Dec 2008
    DO WANT!

That is awesome. Just yesterday I was thinking about how my route to the store sometimes involves some curb hopping and various other non-trailer-friendly shenanigans but on the ride home i usually take a different (more trailer friendly) route. This would be awesome allowing that and it wouldn't take up any more of the (incredibly limited) bike storage space in my 900sqft apartment.

mtbr member
    Can someone post a picture of this thing. I am in a third world country at the moment and my connection isn't up to the video.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    Can someone post a picture of this thing. I am in a third world country at the moment and my connection isn't up to the video.

Last edited by rkj__; 07-11-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Way too much weight for not enough functionality. The sides don't seem to do anything but keep loose items from bouncing out. Nothing to really strap it down with. I just carry my Chrome bag with me everywhere. If I want to pick up an 18 pack I just toss it in there and throw the box away. Panniers would be lighter than this trailer too. Silly.

weirdo
    Nothing wrong with "silly" as long as it`s "cool" also. If practicality were the only issue I`d drive to work and there`s no way in hell it would be worth it for me to invest in lights, special use tires, winter riding clothes and the other fun stuff that I`ve so much enjoyed blowing money on

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Nothing wrong with "silly" as long as it`s "cool" also. If practicality were the only issue I`d drive to work and there`s no way in hell it would be worth it for me to invest in lights, special use tires, winter riding clothes and the other fun stuff that I`ve so much enjoyed blowing money on
    It's never practical to drive... I'm just saying it's a bad idea. People aren't going to be totally sold on it. They'll carry all that extra weight around for a few weeks and never really use it, then get sick of it.

mtbr member
    That looks like a really early prototype. I think it is a cool idea but can see a lot of room for improvement.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I love that the apparent inspiration for the trailer was the need for beer. I feel their pain.
    panem et circenses

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    They'll carry all that extra weight around for a few weeks and never really use it, then get sick of it.
    So, it can be used as a training device as well as practical tool? Brilliant!

Frankly, I could actually use something like this at the moment, being that my only other transportation (motorcycle) is out of commission until I get the rear tire replaced (it blew in a high-speed corner... ). Of course, the tire was special order.

That being said, I would never ride with such a device without planning on using it in a specific situation (i.e. I knew that I would be getting groceries - um, beer - or needed a new toilet from Home Depot).
    panem et circenses

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    Frankly, I could actually use something like this at the moment, being that my only other transportation (motorcycle) is out of commission until I get the rear tire replaced (it blew in a high-speed corner... ). Of course, the tire was special order.
    Oh.... wow.... that sucks. I trust the doggie and his bike are OK?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Oh.... wow.... that sucks. I trust the doggie and his bike are OK?
    Yeah, the pucker factor was indeed high. Thanks for asking.

It's funny/strange how it worked out: I hit something in the middle of the lane that both blew the tire and kicked me up in the air, when my back wheel caught the pavement again, it was at just the perfect angle that it turned my horizontal flight into a vertical flight with forward motion. Don't ask me how, because it sure wasn't skill.

Second blowout in four months. In over 200,000 miles of sport riding, I've never had a flat - ever - until the last four months. Irony of ironies: I ended up in the same church parking lot after both mishaps...

As for the collapsible trailer, I could actually use something similar for my motorcycle... to carry my bike to the trailhead!
    panem et circenses