mtbr member
    Oct 2006

cromo "aggressive" commuter?

I was looking into a Marin Muirwoods 29 bike but nobody has my size (17"), and according to Marin, they won't be making any more for 08.

I really like the cromo, and love the geo of the Muirwoods, it's more mountain-bike like. I test rode a Novara Big Buzz last night and although the geo is similar to the Muirwoods, the Aluminum is HARSH.

Are there any other decently priced bikes (500-600$) made of cromo like the Muirwoods? Everything I've seen is Aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Kona Smoke is steel, but heavy from what I hear. I have a Dew Deluxe, it's Aluminum, but doesn't ride harsh, and my back is all screwed up. A good cross between a mtb and a cross bike.I love the Kona P2 fork on it. I think I read a review where a guy put a flat bar on a Kona Paddy Wagon ($650 SS road bike) and loved it. Really nice Dedaccai Steel frame. Swobo Sanchez looks cool too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Paultik, I was looking at the Dew series. I think those forks are cromo right? Why is your back screwed up?

mtbr member
    I just got a Felt Dispatch for just over what you are willing to pay, it is alum, but has a super plush ride with the carbon fork and the light weight. It only has one gear though, so if you need to shift, keep looking. The brakes don't work very well, esp compared to my big buzz, which I also have. The Big Buzz is a cool laid back ride, but it can be a pretty harsh ride on super bumpy roads.
    Just Ride!