blet drive

Counting my flats

Third flat this week and second replacement tire. Ugg. It is hard to see the small things at night even with all the light I put out. The worst part is I have to deal with an IGH. I'm getting much faster at it. Also it makes me want to go tubeless on the comuter.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    In my toolkit I carry 2oz of tubeless sealant, a presta/schrader valvecore remover, and a little syringe.

I've had one flat this year and I just shot some sealant into the tube, shook it a bit, and aired it up. And that was probably 6 months ago, and the tire is fine.

I ran tubeless for a few years but decided it was too much work. This way is a lot easier, but I don't generally get many flats so ymmv.

mtbr member
    ^ I can avoid or try to avoid glass (one patch not too successfully cutting the sidewall of a brand new tire a few years back), but staples, screws, nails, a bit of aluminum eavestrough trim (new house), and whatever the circular thing was that blew the front tire in November, were not visible at speed daylight, or no. At least I have kept snakebites out of the equation. I used the Panaracer TourGuards with a Kevlar belt, but they ride quite hard. The 32 mm ride harder than the 28 mm I am running now (Deep Vees are pretty rigid). I am currently running the newer anti-puncture carcass Soma labeled Panasonic made tires:

New Xpress | SOMA Fabrications

Available for 26" in two sizes and up to 32 mm wide.

Other manufacturers may have something similar. They won't be free, though.

blet drive
    I am running conti gator skins

Moderator Moderator
    oops
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 07-04-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: sorry wrong thread

MTB, Road, Commuting
    You are just paying it forward to the karmic flat god. About 2 years ago I got a flat on just about every ride for a week. It wasn't that I just wasn't getting the debris out, these were on different bikes, different tires... After that I went almost a year with none and now I'm back to a normal rate of a few a year. I also don't notice much of a difference between the ultra-premium-race-guard-belted-protection and my cheap-azz $12.99 Nashbar specials which don't claim any puncture resistance. If you roll over something sharp and pointy and the pointy side is pointed at you tire - it's going through.

Back in the Saddle Again
    My commute takes me through a section of road that services the local junk and scrap yards and I had two flats in the first week of the commute. Knowing that I didn't have a lot of money and the need to prevent flats I went with Stop Flats2 tire liners. It offered a life time warranty to replace the tube and liner should it fail. $18 for the pair.

It has been close to four months and I have yet to blow a tire. When I swapped out rims I inspected the liners and saw a few places where it did it's job very well, leaving a impression of the object I ran over but nothing more.
    Last edited by MaddCelt; 07-05-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Incorrect time frame

mtbr member
    I don't think there's any one thing that will prevent flats, but I use a lot of little things. Like my tires are puncture resistant, then tire liners, and thorn resistant tubes. No one of those will stop flats, but I haven't had a flat in over a year.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

blet drive
    Co thanks all

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've had an awful lot of flats lately. Just repaired... 6? tubes last week. Ran out of patches before I ran out of tubes.

I hear auto techs rag on tire slime all the time, is it not bad for bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I hear auto techs rag on tire slime all the time, is it not bad for bikes?
    People in this thread have been using slime along with latex and some other stuff as an alternative to Stan's since 2008.

I assume tire techs complain about it because it's messy and they're lazy. It does make a bit of a mess in a tubeless bike tire and rim, so I can only imagine what it's like in a car tire. But I'm pretty happy with my one experiment injecting it into a tube - it sealed up, has been holding for 6 months, and there's zero mess.

Moderator Moderator
    I think it's because the propellant used in the car stuff can explode in your face, especially if you're not informed it is in there.

mtbr member
    ^^ They don't like it in Lawn Tractor tires either, but it has stopped the slow leak issues for years now in that application.