Thread: Cotic Roadrat

Rides like wrecking ball

Cotic Roadrat

Been completed for several weeks but we keep getting snow/ice storms so i don't have any real time on it yet. Also don't have any great pics - for a 3.2mp camera my phone is terrible. Might have to give up and bust out the real digi camera for some better shots.

Highlights:
    Large/Long frame (21" frame, 24" top tube)
    1x8 with a 42t track crankset and 12-32 cassette
    Weight - around 23 pounds
    Primary use - Going fast without being too careful about it.

Will update when ride reports and better pictures are available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    liking the wheels
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Awesome bike. Flat out awesome. I very much enjoyed my Trek soho s which looked very similar to that bike for tooling around town. The 1x8 would make it even better on the road. Definitely let us know how it does for you. Out of curiosity, who is distributing those in the states, and what does the pricetag look like?
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    simple...fast...clean...very nice

VP of Riding & Drinking

Nice job!

I see you got yours built before I finished mine...looks like a real bombproof bike.

I am going with Drop bars and canti's to start... and a carbon fork... it's amazing how I intended to go low budget and once you start buying parts... only the good stuff will do

Let us know how you like the ride...

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    Awesome bike. Flat out awesome. I very much enjoyed my Trek soho s which looked very similar to that bike for tooling around town. The 1x8 would make it even better on the road. Definitely let us know how it does for you. Out of curiosity, who is distributing those in the states, and what does the pricetag look like?
    No US sellers, I sucked it up and paid hefty international shipping because the frame was so darned cheap. Current exchange rate puts the frame/fork package at only $375 right now. Amazing value.
    http://cotic.co.uk/product/roadrat
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    liking the wheels
    Thanks. Formula Xero XSR-4. OEM on my Giant Cypress SX (replaced by the Roadrat btw). Chainreactioncycles offered the pair not long ago but now only lists the front. Bummer, cuz I would buy them again - they hold up to my Clydesdale size just fine, even on dirt rides. Very unique arrangement with both spokes in the pair entering the rim exactly side by side. Have not seen that from anyone else.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by xcolin
    simple...fast...clean...very nice
    Thanks. I wish the pictures were better. I took a bunch but they all sucked. I'll get a battery for my digi cam and do the bike some justice next time. Fingers crossed we are done with snow and ice now and I can get some good shots.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Crank'nStein
    I see you got yours built before I finished mine...looks like a real bombproof bike.

I am going with Drop bars and canti's to start... and a carbon fork... it's amazing how I intended to go low budget and once you start buying parts... only the good stuff will do

Let us know how you like the ride...
    I hope to get a few miles in this week, highs around 50 and I start enjoying the outdoors again. It was really hard to resist making the bike too CX/XC and not enough Roady. I already have a nice XC hardtail so I wanted to keep this ride fast and sleek. The only real changes from my Cypress SX were to adjust my riding position to suit me better. Still considering some 38-42c tires with some more cushion and traction for dirt/rail trails though.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I spent some time on the cotic website and since the website isn't particularly informative, it only took about five minutes. So now I get to turn to the new owners- what does this bike ride like? Does it split the difference between road and mountain? How large of tires can you throw on it? Think it could do singletrack....?

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I spent some time on the cotic website and since the website isn't particularly informative, it only took about five minutes. So now I get to turn to the new owners- what does this bike ride like? Does it split the difference between road and mountain? How large of tires can you throw on it? Think it could do singletrack....?
    29x1.75 knobbies are shown in the Monster Rat pat in the "news" section of the site. Scroll down to Jan 5th http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/ . Also, plenty of UK mag reviews there too. I'll hold off on judgement for awhile but it shouldn't take long since I know exactly what I want it to do for me.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Make sure to update here. I want to hear how it handles road duty and singletrack. I have room for another bike, one that has the specific capacity to do singletrack during the summer on the way home from work.

♥ ς╥33
    I ordered one but it turned out it wasnt in stock so now Im waiting for a few more weeks, i will run hydros, fenders, rack and weird bars on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

Dinner for wolves
    Ride report desperately needed, Bulldog. You get a chance to throw a leg over the beast yet? I am having fantasies of a flat bar road fixie version... My devotion to the Cross-Check is getting rattled.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Itsa looking good!

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    Ride report desperately needed, Bulldog. You get a chance to throw a leg over the beast yet? I am having fantasies of a flat bar road fixie version... My devotion to the Cross-Check is getting rattled.
    Got about 10 miles in before I hurt myself. I'm not great with clipless and they are so new to me that I forgot I was using them. After several successful trackstands at stop lights I finally tipped over and somehow dislocated my pinky. I was a tool.

As for the ride - so far so good. A couple of larger hits and I'm sold - steel on the road is just as fantastic as steel on the mtb. At least twice I was in disbelief that there was 90psi in my tires, those skinny stays give a nice spring to the ride. Geo feels great for me at 6' with long arms. The 1x8 wide range cassette covered all bases. No complaints, just need to get some more miles to comment any more.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Sorry you got hurt Bulldog. Sweet ride though, I'm diggin' it!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Ovaries on the Outside

Ouchie!

Don't feel bad. I was riding with my friend, clipped out my left foot, as I always do. He was watching, thought it was weird because he always unclips his right foot, but mimicked me for inexplicable reasons and when he stopped, fell to the right. That, my friend is a tool.

I've also managed a face plant a couple times during a track stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Got about 10 miles in before I hurt myself. I'm not great with clipless and they are so new to me that I forgot I was using them. After several successful trackstands at stop lights I finally tipped over and somehow dislocated my pinky. I was a tool.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Don't feel bad. I was riding with my friend, clipped out my left foot, as I always do. He was watching, thought it was weird because he always unclips his right foot, but mimicked me for inexplicable reasons and when he stopped, fell to the right. That, my friend is a tool.

I've also managed a face plant a couple times during a track stand.
    I'm reeeeally curious how you manage a faceplant during a trackstand? Sounds like a terrible way to go down, but I just can't visualize how it happens?.

btw - thanks for the concern on my dimwitted mishap. After a week the knuckle is still twice as big as the other but the swelling is down to the point that i can bend it enough to wrap around a handlebar grip so we're good-to-go.

♥ ς╥33
    I once fell into an ocean of stinging nettles, standing still... It was kinda unpleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

mtbr member
    Great bike! The dropbar version with an Alfine hub is what I'm saving my pennies for. New frames should be available in late June '09.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    would gladly bought roadrat frame and fork if it was available here...would fit my needs perfectly.
    need more bikes...

Ovaries on the Outside

Face plant on a track stand?

it goes like this: "balance.. balance... balance.... oh sh!t I can't get my feet out in time"

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    I'm reeeeally curious how you manage a faceplant during a trackstand? Sounds like a terrible way to go down, but I just can't visualize how it happens?