Moderator Moderator

Back in the Saddle Again
    Pretty cool that the cop was paying attention. After watching that vid on UK bike theft (in front of Scotland Yard no less) I can see why there is such concern there.

weirdo
    ...and the cyclist was happy about that? Dang!
    Must say I thought it had something to do with Bike Naked Day before reading.
    Recalculating....

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    They'd have trouble doing this with my nice bike. There is no serial number.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    If somebody was riding a Piardello Dogma with jeans and a hoodie I can see where they might pull him over.

mtbr member
    Yep. Passes the reasonable cause mental test. Though the thought of fashion police is scary! On my errand bike, I'd have matching locks and keys. I guess on the Duchess, I'd have to see if their car's computer could access the internet to show my pictures of it.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    "I've got a JRA in progress, do you copy?"

mtbr member
    "10-4, copy JRA in progress. Standby back-up is en-route, S.W.A.T. is mobilizing, and air assets are circling and are attempting to acquire the suspect now."
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    ^^ Then a scene reminiscent of the Blues Brothers at the Cook County Courthouse with 100's of guns trained on them. This is the buildup to that scene:

the blues brothers police chase uncut - YouTube Note a cross street cyclist avoids being a hood ornament.

"No spandex cycling scum!"

banned
    Aug 2012
    Just what the World needs ... Profiling of bicyclist's

sheep in FOX clothing
    When I ride into work and then have a meeting downtown, I often hop the subway home and end up with 2 bikes at work when I ride in the next morning.

So if the weather is nice and the wind isn't in my face, I'll wait until after rush hour and ride one and push the other home by holding the stem.

I'm not sure if riding two bikes is even legal, although I can't find anything specific. But if I get pulled over and questioned, it will show that they are indeed paying attention, even if I have 2 helmets with me...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Ha! Funny. Report back if you get pulled over. Around here I believe 2 people on 1 bike (not designed for 2) is illegal, but 1 person on 2 bikes is legal as long as you have 1 hand to control the bike you are on.

mtbr member
    ^ In indiana, you are only permitted one hand on the bars to signal a turn. DT shifters, water bottles. wiping the brow, blowing snotcicles. are all illegal, as would be guiding a second bike. Never heard of anyone cited, though. Any interaction with enforcement would be worthy of a thread here.

BrianMc

sheep in FOX clothing
    I think the Ontario HTA violation is "unable to keep both hands on handlebars", so you can ride one hand/no hands if you have reason to... but you can't be carrying a filing cabinet or something in case you need to steer or stop.

They don't specify that both hands need to be on the handlebars of the same bike, however.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I think the Ontario HTA violation is "unable to keep both hands on handlebars", so you can ride one hand/no hands if you have reason to... but you can't be carrying a filing cabinet or something in case you need to steer or stop.

They don't specify that both hands need to be on the handlebars of the same bike, however.
    On one of my rides home last week there was a dude riding the MUP heading my way no handed reading a book. If I wasn't in a hurry to get home, I would have turned around and asked WTF he was doing?

This has to be a violation of some sort!

mtbr member
    ^^ Sounds like a job for the Suicide Squirrel Squad! Sticks can snap off into a front wheel, too. Walkers can side step. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    back to the original point...

If the cop pulls over a gut without lycra on an expensive bike...

Then the cop should also pull over a guy WITH lycra on a cheap bike....he obviously is also doing something very wrong.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Profiling is profiling ... Use an armed drone, and be done with it

PRETENDURO
    Next thing you read about will be the homeless methheads robbing roadies of their lycra so they can hope to fit in when riding the bikes they stole!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Could you imagine what would have happened if he were wearing baggies and a full face helmet on that bike? Might have been shot on sight. Observe the rules or else.......
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

Kids on Bikes Stopped for not wearing Lycra

On their heads:

Operation Safe Summer: Police Reward Kids For Wearing Helmets With Ice Cream (VIDEO)

Age discrimination. Where's my ice cream?