Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Converting my MTB to a Commuter...

Hi guys,
    1st official thread. I'm planning on converting my 2004 Trek 4900 to my commuter. I have ridden a few times to work. 14 miles round trip. A few good up hills. It doesn't have disc brakes and I'm planning on swapping out my shocks to rigid forks. I have slicks on the bike already. I use a backpack for extra stuff.

Any suggestion on what forks I should go with? What material?

I'm also thinking about raising the stem up a little to get away from the aggressive stance. Wondering if that is a good idea or if someone has tried it and let me know how it went.

That's about it. Thanks for reading. Peace.

Last edited by ChetPunisher; 03-19-2012 at 07:52 PM.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I converted my full ridged Bridgestone and it works great. I totally love the bike but wanted a FS mountain bike so it got a second lease on life. The conversion was mostly adding fenders and changing the tires. It already had a rigid fork so I can't help you there. If you are use to the aggressive stance why not keep it? I was use to the ride on mine so I kept it as-is.

mtbr member
    I ride my Specialized Fsr XC Full sus race bike 26 miles from my commute without changing anything

mtbr member
    I'm gonna try the stem first and see if I like the feel...

mtbr member
    Surly 1x1 fork!

can you put a rear rack on the bike? there are tons of threads about backpack vs. messenger bag vs. panniers. my experience is that backpacks are always HOT and hurt my shoulders. I recently got a rack/pannier setup and it's MUCH more comfortable to ride like that.

mtbr member
    Which Surly do I need? What size should I look for with rim brakes?

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    I did that to my 2009 4500... go and check the travel your current fork has....I'll assume it would be 80 or 100mm

I ended up with a shorter fork on my bike due to lack of knowledge of the guy at the lbs and me being in a hurry to do the swap and not doing my web work...so don't do that!...I still sometime hit the street with my pedals.

probably Surly's 1x1 or Troll forks will do the job once you know the specs of your fork. I would go Troll due to the braze ons.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up...

mtbr member
    apparently the 4900 came with a 80mm suspension fork, so look for a 80mm "suspension corrected" rigid fork. I think you could use a 100mm fork too, it would just raise the front end of bike bike a bit, which might be what you're looking for to bring the handlebar a little higher.

the surly 1x1 comes in 80mm and 100mm. the Troll fork is a 100mm fork that gives you the option of putting a front rack on your bike too.

mtbr member
    Thanks

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Here is what I did to my old mountain bike....used a surly 1x1 fork 80mm I think.

Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

The Wiking
    I did somewhat the same...

added a Kona P2 Fork 80mm, the frame is fine with either 80 or 100, for city riding i prefer the lower, for a long commute the latter, but I won´t put any money on me being able to tell the difference what so ever. :gogo:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting my MTB to a Commuter...-26022012648.jpg  

Converting my MTB to a Commuter...-26022012649.jpg  

Last edited by Ranger Radon; 03-20-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    with speed, shall technique be conquered

The streets are the sketchiest of trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Here is what I did to my old mountain bike....used a surly 1x1 fork 80mm I think.

what handlebar is that?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ChetPunisher View Post
    Hi guys,
    1st official thread. I'm planning on converting my 2004 Trek 4900 to my commuter. I have ridden a few times to work. 14 miles round trip. A few good up hills. It doesn't have disc brakes and I'm planning on swapping out my shocks to rigid forks. I have slicks on the bike already. I use a backpack for extra stuff.

Any suggestion on what forks I should go with? What material?

I'm also thinking about raising the stem up a little to get away from the aggressive stance. Wondering if that is a good idea or if someone has tried it and let me know how it went.

That's about it. Thanks for reading. Peace
    Should be able to just up the air pressure or crank down on the spring to just about lock out the fork....

I would leave the aggressive stance if your body can deal with it....wind happens when you commute alot.

mtbr member
    The suspension is going to go. I have no need for the extra lbs. of coils...

mtbr member
    yes, some cheap suspension forks can weigh over 5 pounds. if you can help it, get rid of that thing if it's not going to be used on dirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you are replacing the fork, I wouldn't simultaneously change the stem. Just add some spacers and leave the fork long. Then you can fiddle around with positioning by moving the spacers above and below the stem until you figure out where you want it. Then, if you want to move the bars forward or back, you can fiddle around with the stem. Once you've got it all figured out, then cut the fork. But it is a rule with any experiment that you only change one variable at a time.

mtbr member
    Wait till you change that fork, its like night and day. I picked up alot of speed once I did it. I even had a lockout on my old dart 2 fork; still, it made a difference.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    yep, the ConfederateLawyer is right...

according to bikepedia (I can't access trek archives from my computer) your 4900 came with a 80mm pilot fork.

dirtbag
    Surly 1x1 is the business for commuter conversions.
    Amolan

Medi
    the Surly 1x1 is a 26er. I recommend a 29er for the ability to use road tires. I went with the Niner SIR 9. You can see my build here: Niner SIR 9
    2009 Niner S.I.R. 9
    2012 Spec SJ EVO 29er
    2008 Spec Tri-Cross
    2001 Spec FSR S-Works

http://www.TemporaryObsessions.com

mtbr member
    I ordered the Surly 1x1. 55 at my lbs. Thanks for the advice. I'll post pics when I get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by medi.hash View Post
    the Surly 1x1 is a 26er. I recommend a 29er for the ability to use road tires. I went with the Niner SIR 9. You can see my build here: Niner SIR 9
    he is replacing the fork on a 26" bike, so if he puts a 29er fork on the bike, it will mess up the handling. most 29" forks do not have rim brake mounts, and if they do, they are set up for a 700c wheel. so the brakes won't work with a 26" wheel.

if you want to get really crazy with that bike, get some 29"/700c wheels with disc tabs, some road/hybrid tires, and some disc brakes. you can get a disc brake adapter for that frame and the fork probably has disc brake mounts. (does it?) the narrow 700c tires will fit in the frame (i have seen this done many times) so you will have a larger tire and disc brakes for all-weather riding.

mtbr member
    OR I could just buy a new bike... I'm just doing small things here to make it a better commuter. I would love to have a 29, but that will have to wait...

Custom Bike Builder
    I just finished (is it ever finished) my mountain bike to commuter conversion. It is a rather aggressive off road mountain bike that I modified to commute on. Fenders, lights, rack, slick tires, etc. I like the upright riding position and the front suspension is as close to locked out as possible. It's even got a permanent video camera mount for recording my commutes. If you've never done this, I highly recommend. It certainly makes for entertaining video clips. Especially in the dark with the lights on.

Peace!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting my MTB to a Commuter...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1332686909.809966.jpg  

Gets chain-ring tattoos on both legs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast