mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Conversion, QR to bolt-on

Need some help, i want to commute with my SS mountain bike and want to lock it up without worrying about people jacking with my bike. I have quick release skewers(shimano xt m760 hubs). I basically have 3 options, bolt-on skewers, solid axle conversion, or locking QR skewers. I have a general idea of what i need to get but nothing i find seems to be really good. I saw Speedcific bolt-on skewers but i cant find where to get those. Please help!! i hate paying for gas!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just about any bike shop should be able to order you a set of bolt on skewers, Delta makes a set that usually runs about $15-20 they can order through QBP. They use a 5mm allen wrench.

dirtbag
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    XT hubs should be easily convertable to a solid axle and track nuts for $15.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For the solid axle conversion, do u have the specs for the XT hubs? length, diameter etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rear is 10x1 threading. Length doesn't matter. 174 should work fine unless you want to add axle tensioners (I don't know what style of SS you have) then go 180 or longer. Front hubs are 9x1 threading. Length, 130-140ish? Long enough to go through the hub (100mm or 135mm) and for the nuts (about 10mm each) and through the dropouts (about 5mm) then add a little bit more just because.

And to give you an idea of what you're dealing with:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608936.pdf

You'll have to feel confident in your ability to disassemble hub bearings and to readjust them. If you do not have cone wrenches, get some or let your LBS do it.
    Last edited by Schmucker; 11-10-2008 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I bought Pitlocks a year ago..for my wheels and seatpost clamp..I LOVE them. They are solid, hassle free, and secure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks! that's exactly the info that i needed.

I Fought The Lawn
    onguard also sells a similar locking skewer set, check those out before you go tearing into your hubs. im in NYC and understand the 'any port in a storm' mentality of bike security, but if it's got to come down to serious and extensive modification of a bike id say purchase a product designed to work with a stock system like the pitlocks or the onguard thing.
    '13 Cannondale F29
    '01 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    '98 Manitou FS
    '97 GT Avalanche
    '97 GT LTS-1