mtbr member
    May 2008

Controlling body temperature

Any tips for controlling body temperature during cold commutes?

My commute is downhill initially, then uphill, then I get on a bus that cranks the heat. So I start off cold, then heat up on the climb, then get clammy on the bus.

mtbr member
    I guess layering and pacing will help. What sort of distances down and up are we talking here?

mtbr member
    That's a tough one. To avoid overheating during the trip, you should feel cold initially. But if you start with a low intensity part, it'll be difficult to warm up. And if you wear enough for the downhill, you'll be soaking wet during and after the uphill part.

I'd wear something windproof that has ventilation zippers, or remove the shell after descending before tackling the uphill part.

When you arrive to the bus stop/station, reduce clothing before locking up your bike, so you'll cool down before entering the bus.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the recommendations. I think raising my body temperature before heading out will help too -- layer up a few minutes before, drink hot water, maybe even do a couple pushups.

The commute is only a couple miles. I have the older version of a Novara Headwind Jacket which works great (love the windstopper front with mesh back and full zipper) - Novara Headwind Bike Jacket - Men's - REI.com

and I've been pairing it with an Arcteryx Atom LT jacket but that may be overkill for temps above freezing. I may try my lightweight rain jacket initially as the extra layer. Granted it doesn't breath well, but the ride isn't long enough for me to get sweaty while on the bike.

since 4/10/2009
    That's a difficult batch of conditions to deal with in such a short distance.

My only thought is to wear a full zip jacket of sorts that you button down on the downhill portion of your ride, then open up completely for the climb, and possibly remove for the bus ride.

If it was a longer ride, I'd probably suggest adding/removing layers, but for only a couple of miles, I am not sure that's worth it.

mtbr member
    I like the ideas of a zipper/Velcro front that you can close during the downhill and open for the climb. Also like the recommendation to remove the jacket as soon as you get to the bus stop to start cooling down.

Additional things I'd do. Baggy sleeves. keep em closed tight on the down hill, but open them up for the climb. Unless you're wearing a backpack, it'll cause a little airflow along your arms and back to help keep things cool. I'd also add some distance to the start of the commute with a little bit of climbing to warm you up before the downhill.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

psycho cyclo addict
    I typically put on my boots/shoes, socks and tights on plus a couple of shirt layers for a few minutes before completely suiting up and going out in the cold.

Toward the beginning and end of my commute there are low spots with bridge/creek crossings. I swear the temp feels 10 F lower there so I tend to zip my jacket up all the way at those spots.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Everything zippered. A couple of inches up or down on a 1/4 zip turtleneck makes a world of cooling difference.
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I love my wool base layers. Comfortable over wide range of temps and wicks well.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ask the bus driver to turn the heat down. I have to do this a lot.