Rolling

A confrontation Anecdote

September 18, 2013:

I was riding home on a two lane road (one lane each way) on a wide shoulder here in Colorado mid afternoon when the road on my side split into two lanes, one being a turn lane with at least a hundred yards long. Almost immediately I got grazed by a car where the right mirror was literally inches from my left shoulder. I was stunned.

The car pulled into an assisted care place and I decided to go talk to the driver since the car had a sign on it for some pharmacy and I saw it was going to the assisted care place.

I pulled up to the stopped car and motioned to the driver who proceeded to drop his window.

I said "Hi Sir, did you know in Colorado, drivers are supposed to give three feet of space (holding my arms about three feet apart) to cyclists?. You almost hit me with your mirror."

He replied, "Where was that?"

I said and pointed, "Just right here when you turned right."

He said "I didn't see you!"...kinda in a tone of how can I avoid you when I didn't see you? I was momentarily stunned at the response but then again, it all makes sense. And that is the issue here. It was a perfectly lit afternoon and the man was not looking beyond some limited field of view on the road.

He did apologize and we had a positive conversation in the end in that he will pay better attention next time.

I left with the confirmed reality that people are NOT looking out for cyclists. And maybe it's a wake up call for me but I'm not really sure how to act on it since my worst commuting fear is getting hit from behind were I will not see it coming.
    Last edited by lidarman; 09-19-2013 at 10:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My license is still still suspended for dragging a guy out of his window for brushing my elbow on a motorcycle.

So you handled it better than I would have.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I don't know what scares me more, the people that don't even see me or the ones that feel it's their job to teach me some sort of lesson.

It really surprises me that once you've attained a driver's license it's pretty much good forever. In how many other scenarios does that happen? You can get your license at 16 (varies by state) and assuming you don't rack up a bunch of points, you can keep it forever. Without any kind of re-testing.

mtbr member
    Not surprising. Most people see what they expect to see, unless it's so out of the ordinary or attention getting that they just have to acknowledge it. If it happens fast, they just brush it off as nothing....until it jumps up to bite them on the @ss (like you did..metaphorically speaking).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Did you have a bright rear flashy going? I'm just curious - I use one all the time now day or night.

mtbr member
    Call the pharmacy and complain - location, time, and type of vehicle.

I'm resigned to the fact that I can't do anything about private idiots.

But anyone in a company vehicle will get a "very serious" call from me after the fact.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    Did you have a bright rear flashy going? I'm just curious - I use one all the time now day or night.
    That is a very good idea. I don't. I'm going to start doing that.

mtbr member
    I wish they did require periodic retesting/renewal. Not sure that it would aleviate all the woes but it would at least bring some attention to some deficiencies. In most other vehicular driving licenses it is required.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Testing doesn't cure *******.

mtbr member
    The police think "I didn't see him/her" is a perfectly valid excuse, so why shouldn't you?