Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    MTB, Road, Commuting

The confessional: I didn’t’ ride today because…

"You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you are me and you drove today)", Commuter Boy
    We all want to take our bikes every day but for most of us life gets in the way.

Today I had 2 appointments at opposite ends of the day in opposite directions and the roads are covered in 2-3" of slush and I had to plow the driveway.

I Ride for Donuts
    I hope I never have to post in this thread
    Good thing it didnt' exist 2 days ago when I drove because of the icy storm of death that descended on the region, and because I don't have studded tires.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

crap magnet
    My wife and I celebrated our 15 year anniversary yesterday. Try as I might, I couldn't come up with a practical way to get flowers, wine and chocolates home (original I am not.) I should have asked for a bigger messenger bag as my anniversary gift.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Moderator Moderator
    I had to snowblow the driveway before the rain or freezing rain, and ran out of time. My neighbor plowing all his snow onto my driveway didn't help either.

Still want a fat bike....
    I just got back from vacation and I am just not ready.... lol

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Last time I didn't commute....it was because I had to go out of town to work about 300 km.

Time before that....it was because I was healing up from some minor surgery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I didn't ride to work twice this week....because I felt like running home instead. Took the bus and ran home Tuesday and Thursday. public transport, bike, or my two feet are my only options and I kind of like it this way.

mtbr member
    Not today, but Wednesday - alarm didn't go off on phone and so didn't wake up until too late for class. Then since it was late enough that it was light enough out for me to see how much the wind was blowing when it was time to head into work an hour or so later I gave up and took the bus, which I almost never do and hate doing. Call me a wuss if you want, but freezing temps+precipitation+strong headwind = one too many for me to ride in a lot of the time. Two out of three I do all the time.

Karma got at me though, when taking the bus home from work just before midnight a young thug tried to shake me down for my phone. That's makes 2 for 2 for someone threatening to rob me on my way home the last two times I took the bus, making the incentive to ride no matter what the conditions nearly overpowering. Makes me glad I'm a BIG, scary looking dude, otherwise they might have done more than be threatening and then give up when I blew them off... :/

weirdo
    I hope I won`t be needing this thread in 2012.
    Fingers crossed...

mtbr member
    I don't ride during tornado watches. Once with the sirens screaming was too many times.

BrianMc

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Yeah, I think that would be a good choice.

jrm
    mtbr member

Just wasn't

feeling it today. Ended up walking 5 miles to and from work instead.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I don't ride during tornado watches. Once with the sirens screaming was too many times.

BrianMc
    Since moving to an area of the country that deals with severe weather, this is a factor for me as well. The Friday before last, I opted to drive because of the severe thunderstorms rolling in. This is the only thing that stops me now a days because my commute is short enough that time really isn't a big factor. Riding with the sirens screaming would freak me out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    Riding with the sirens screaming would freak me out!
    Not a time or no time to panic. A time to use adrenalin constructively in 'flee' not 'fight' mode to set a new world record sprint to the nearest storm resistant shelter about 1/2 mile away. Maxed rpm in 48/14 into the wind. Amazing stuff, adrenalin!

BrianMc

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I brought my car to work...But I did it on Sunday because I needed it for my job on Monday because I want to ride. The trails should be stellar on Monday. Just the right amount of snow, rain, snowmobiles and then cold. I'm expecting the best winter trail commute of the year. I'm not sure if that fits here or not. I did commute by bike

A Enigma wrapped in Bacon
    Hemorrhoids.

Word.

mtbr member
    Free comprehensive bus service in my town. Great service, but way too easy to be lazy and just hop on the bus.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I didn't go to work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    New dog in the family who's not cleared to be home all day by herself. She's not trained (yet!) to ride in the bike trailer, but we're working on that.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think I drove my commute a couple times in 2010. Can't remember why... In the summer of 2010, I ended up using my car to work a lot, doing the Census.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Weather report says up to 45MPH wind tomorrow. I don't think I'm going to ride in the morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    45mph, that's a no pedal tail wind. Maybe slight headwind.

Moderator Moderator
    It's "Town Meeting Day" and I have the day off! Townsfolk are meeting across Vermont to decide local budgets and discuss other town business, and perhaps enjoy a potluck or "bean supper". I went xc skiing with a friend instead.

mtbr member
    Yesterday, felt like cr@p and didn't have to go anywhere. Wished I felt well enough to ride.

BrianMc

I need skills
    Jul 2004

car had service

they gave me a loaner, then called and told me keep until tomorrow! I was gonna ride tomorrow.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast