Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I did the same, also due to a knee twinge yesterday. I didn't have the GPS, but someone said that race was a 700' climb/4 mile lap, so I'd say your legs could use a rest after 2800' in those conditions.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I rode with the GPS and it recorded it as 2749' of climbing. My 4 commutes for the last 2 days started with glee and optimism over the great snow conditions and ended with me struggling to climb the hills I ride everyday.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    - We're getting a foot of snow today
    - I have an appointment after work
    - My legs are begging for a rest
    - I've got some form of a cold

Otherwise I'd be itching to take the bike.

Moderator Moderator
    ...I changed my mind after getting suited up and driving 4 miles downtown with the bike to my commute lot. A strangely greasy snow even though it was 16F - it sounded icy when I went out with the dogs at 5:30 am. Something to do with "conveyors belts" according to the weather guy. Drives home were 2-3x normal, and maybe 9" of snow now.

Getting excited for the Olympics, supposedly 20% of US team are Vermonters.

Moderator Moderator
    Too much snow! About a foot most places, and drifted 2' everywhere I have to shovel. For some reason, the plow had not been by when I left at 9 (work was delayed due to snow), so the first 1.5 miles were dicey even with the AWD. Luckily it is downhill and there were some tracks from other drivers.

Natural Born Killer
    We had additional snow in the forecast which we are now getting, so...no bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Ditto, we got over a foot. The trails aren't packed and the roads weren't fit for bikes. Another 4"-8" on the way.

Moderator Moderator
    It was supposed to stop early morning but is still snowing and blowing. As much as 20 inches in VT and Schott may be digging out from 30" in NH, though I didn't hear where in NH that was.

mtbr member
    Three inches accumulated and maybe two melted on the roads before it started to stay mid-afternoon. Too many here with half worn out or nearly bald 4 season tires on cars and too little experience driving in snow (we could avoid what we had last year). Most just get home and stay there or don't leave in the first place. Those narrow shoulder-less roads get narrower as the plows don't clear it all, and too many drivers drive like they are playing chicken. So we are more like Atlanta and less like Erie, PA.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden ridden my Kona for a while partly due to neck issues earlier this year, partly due to persistent 40 mph winds here, and partly due to it being on the stand with the rear wheel off and waiting for me to fix a protruding spoke (when that tube let go it was pretty awesome). I did however, get in some leg time on my Raleigh road bike today.

mtbr member
    I wanted to ride but I have my first monster cold in years. I see a nap in my near future. Maybe I'll dream of cycling with a 60 mph Chinook square behind!

mtbr member
    May 2012

The confessional: I didn’t’ ride today because…

A severe case of patellar tendinitis. Flared up less than 100 yards into a 2-mile run to start last Sunday's duathlon event in Lawrence, KS. Limped/ran the 2 miles just to get to the bike and take the stress of my knee. 10-mile ride to finish off the duathlon then a 10-mile time trial race a couple hours later. Borrowed some crutches on Monday to get around work for the week. Won't be running for awhile, but doc says getting back on the bike is a quicker likelihood before jogging/ Sucks being old and too stubborn to know when to quit.

mtbr member
    ^^ Having birthdays still seems the better alternative. That may change, but for now, getting older is the better option.

mtbr member
    Today was the first time I've driven to work since early 2010.

But I've got a meeting after work, and my wife's out of town and I have a dog to attend to. Even with the car, and even leaving work early it's going to be tight.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    That's a heck of a record Newf.

mtbr member
    Darn my wife and her pesky job!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I was mentally past riding in messy slushy snow for this season, so I drove. Judging by the roads I made the right choice. My back road option wasn't available because the ice is gone.

mtbr member
    because I was hung over and heading into a 16 hour shift. Damn cinco de mayo.

sheep in FOX clothing
    A crash in a race knocked me off the bike for all of last week. To get to work I variously tried driving my car, driving the company car, riding the subway, riding the bus, and getting a ride from a coworker.

Collectively, these alternate transportation methods resulted in 10 hours of my life I'll never get back.

mtbr member

The confessional: I didn’t’ ride today because…

Forgot to charge my lights last night. Went to turn on the headlight and got nothing. Had to call a buddy who works down the street from my office for a ride. Good times.

mtbr member
    Found out the other day my wife's car is overdue for an inspection sticker. I had to drop it off at the mechanic across the street from work to get that done, so I didn't ride today. Last thing I want is for her to get a ticket and our insurance to go up. I need to stay on top of her maintaining her car, otherwise it would get one oil change every 20k miles. Hopefully that's the only day this month I have to drive in...

I'd rather be on my bike
    Second day in a row with no riding. Yesterday was due to a huge storm that rolled through. Today, same thing. Temperature dropped 13 degrees in the last 10 minutes due to this storm moving in. I would ride in the 80's and rain. 80's, rain, and thunder and lightning, no. It isn't done yet either, so here I sit, waiting until I need to leave for work in my car, listening to the rain and thunder. National bike to work week is turning into a fail for me. I might get one day in this week. Off tomorrow, possibly a ride Thursday, and more storms forecasted for Friday.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1108/2500

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    I'm sitting out any bike to work anything totally this year. Commute's just too damn long. I'd pretty much get to work and turn right around.

So you're doing better than me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    ^^^
    I'm sitting out any bike to work anything totally this year. Commute's just too damn long. I'd pretty much get to work and turn right around.

So you're doing better than me.
    How long?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Taking the day off of riding tomorrow. Injured my hand at work on Friday, with a decent sized gash across the palm of my left hand. Rode 1 mile to the bike shop to get some short finger gloves for the summer and I almost couldn't make it. The cut is right where I rest my hands on the bar. It was agonizing. Going to let that heal up a bit more before I ride to work.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1108/2500

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast