Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i didnt commute today because we are supposed to get a bad winter storm, and ive learned from experience to stay away from the roads when the plows are out. had a close call last year and dont want to experience that again.

mtbr member
    ^^ Especially with new inexperienced snowplow drivers. It isn't he weather as much as it is the drivers.

BrianMc

MTB, Road, Commuting
    - Sick with a cold.
    - Up too late on Christmas.
    - Didn't wake up until it 30 min before I was supposed to be at work (12 mile ride)
    - The roads and especially shoulders are covered in snow.
    Otherwise I was all over it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i woke up at the same time i was supposed to be leaving the house. i brought my bike with me to ride home. im so freaking tired though from the last two days of running around with my family.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Day off work, winter storm blew through, left 5" of snow, had to take my turn with shoveling the driveway (180' long, BTW), and put the studded tires on the bike. After all that, I was lazy.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Roads closed to all but emergency travel. Then there are the morons learning how to go off road without even trying.

BrianMc

toscano
    Because I am sick!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    1-2 feet of snow forecast today. I may have had my last bike commute of 2012. We'll see how well it is cleaned up by Friday.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ About 10" expected here. I stayed home to await the furnace guy who never showed or called to cancel. I even went out and snowblowed for him at 7. He is now the ex-furnace guy.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Bah, I had to drive again on my last possible commuting day of the year. The roads are still a mess and the lake isn't frozen yet so I can't avoid them. Maybe the trails will be good after the snowmobiles get out on them this weekend.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    The roads are still a mess and the lake isn't frozen yet so I can't avoid them. Maybe the trails will be good after the snowmobiles get out on them this weekend.
    Did you get that one to two feet?
    Maybe the wayward furnace guy will be out packing your snow mobile trails for you since he`s suddenly unemployed.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I think we only ended up with 10". It's hard to tell since it was blowing a lot. There were some towns that got only rain and some got buried.

Yeah, but the furnace guy is going to have to sell his sled since he is suddenly unemployed.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Still have snow and ice on the roads and trails. Looks like I won't get to ride till next year. :-(

Moderator Moderator
    Furnace guy is un-fired. He showed up 4 hours late. He had an excuse for not being there earlier, he's a volunteer firefighter, and was here the night before:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    ^^ Hope that wasn't caused by one of the furnaces he serviced!

Apparently we needed to wait for the rest of the story.

Should have rode today as more snow is on the way. Maybe get one in yet this year.

BrianMc

weirdo
    ^^ Hope that wasn't caused by one of the furnaces he serviced!

I was going to suggest that Furnace Guy might have kept the sled but listed his Mukluk on CL. Sounds like a reasonable excuse though, so glad he isn`t in liquidation yet.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    My not riding to work today had nothing to do with the -5F temps...but I didn't really miss it much.

mtbr member
    Rode too hard last two days and ached too much to fight the cold, damp, and dreary day and the drivers who would not expect me,

In early December - because I have a concussion and I did not find my good backup glasses right off.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    i am on holiday still ... did clean the commuting bike though and prep it for when i go back to work on saturday, does that count?
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just getting over the flu and starting to feel strong again. Might ride this week if the weather is not total crap.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Snowstorm. I was awake in the night trying to come up with a route that would be safe but the main roads around here aren't safe in a storm, We've had too much warm weather to trust the lake just yet and the trails could have 6" of fresh snow on them by evening....So I drove, dammit! This morning would have been a perfect trail commute day.

mtbr member
    Yesterday the 34 mph winds before the gusts were an issue, as I don't have a pilot's license. Today only 19-23 mph, so I rode.

BrianMC

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ "Only", huh? Good for you battling that.
    I'm a bit worried about the wind here tomorrow, 20-25 mph with 50 mph gusts, plus 1.1" rain overnight and on the 50F a.m. commute, then a skating rink 23F trip home with a chance of snow. And oh yeah, watch out for the floods from ice jams. Ugh! No mode of transportation looks appealing.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I decided not to ride crappy trails this morning for the chance to ride crappy roads this afternoon. I'm betting that this storm is a lot more hype then heap but my rides have been less that great lately so I'm not going to set myself for frustration.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Here I am in the confessional thread. Today was the first time I have not ridden to work since October 7, 2011. I have to go to a work function tonight and decided that since I am not going for 100% bike commuting again this year, I would take the car to work. It was a weird feeling...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast