• 01-29-2015
    TenSpeed
    The rain has now turned into a snowy sleet mix. This is why I am afraid that as long as I live here, I will never be able to go car free.
  • 01-29-2015
    honez1414
    I'm a puss....
  • 01-29-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Work has been completly exhausting. Like physically breaking down exhausting.
  • 01-29-2015
    mtbxplorer
    I planned to use the time to take a longer snowshoe with the dog in the fluffy 13" we got a couple days ago. I did, but when we got within 10 minutes of the house, he took off on a flier after a deer, e-collar be damned. I caught up with him off-trail in the woods about a mile from home. Despite bounding through deep snow for an hour and a half at -5F, he was not even breathing hard. I drove to work still wearing my snowshoeing gear and was 30 minutes late. And just 2 days ago I was so proud that he watched 2 deer trot by on the same knoll and he stayed on the trail and came when called.
  • 01-30-2015
    bedwards1000
    I think you need to look into the supercharger option for the e-collar. TASER mode.
  • 01-30-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I think you need to look into the supercharger option for the e-collar. TASER mode.

Believe me, I have thought exactly the same thing! I could not see him, but heard him "kai-yai" at least 4 times, which you would think would at least let the deer get away and cause him to lose interest, but the tracker showed he kept running. Today I harnessed him up for a skijoor instead...he could not run off but still put his nose in nearly every deer track.
  • 02-05-2015
    jl
  • 02-05-2015
    BrianMc
    ^ That'll do it, jl! Strong quads! :)
  • 02-20-2015
    MP87
    The confessional: I didn’t’ ride today because…
    I didn't ride today because I hammered it home the last 3 days. The mild weather got me all excited for summer riding and I beat my record time on the 20km ride home twice this week (my winter beater bike record). Legs need a rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-20-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 966238because cold.
  • 02-20-2015
    santa cruzer73
    Wife had the day off. She doesnt ride and Im whipped!
  • 02-20-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Attachment 966238because cold.

You get no sympathy from me here. I would ride in 26° weather daily right now. Currently a balmy 9° right now, and I didn't ride because I am just sick of the cold. Going to ride Sunday.
  • 02-21-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    You get no sympathy from me here. I would ride in 26° weather daily right now. Currently a balmy 9° right now, and I didn't ride because I am just sick of the cold. Going to ride Sunday.

Yes, but you have the gear to handle such temps. I'm good until about 35 or so, and then I start running out of options. If I had the gear, it wouldn't be an issue.
  • 02-21-2015
    wschruba
    Started getting a hint of sick yesterday, scratchy soft palate. Broke out my netti pot, and again this morning. No improvement, and I'm not going out at 0F with a sore throat. Last time I did that, it was like gargling glass for a week.
  • 02-21-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    I'm in the same boat, but I rode in this morning. I've got a show tonight, and need my voice. Hot Toddies it is!
  • 02-23-2015
    NDD
    Mondays are normally a good ride in but today I skipped because my new routine for other exercise is kicking my butt, and I'm trying to get back into running consistently so my arms and calves hurt.
  • 02-23-2015
    TenSpeed
    Cold. Low of -2F tonight and the windchill will be far too low to ride.
  • 02-23-2015
    bikeCOLORADO
    TenSpeed. As a riding friend of mine says "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear." Last Thursday ambient temp was -5 here, wind chill with forward motion was about -15. I was quite comfortable, actually a bit roastie toastie.

I didn't ride today because my back is tweaked. I tried to suit up this morning. Got my tights on, shoes on, couldn't buckle the ratchet and I couldn't even think about muscling my neoprene booties on.

Chiropractor tomorrow.
  • 02-25-2015
    mtbxplorer
    1 Attachment(s)
    ...I played hooky and rode at Kingdom Trails with a coworker who got a fatbike this year. The conditions were absolutely stellar!
  • 02-25-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    TenSpeed. As a riding friend of mine says "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear." Last Thursday ambient temp was -5 here, wind chill with forward motion was about -15. I was quite comfortable, actually a bit roastie toastie.

I didn't ride today because my back is tweaked. I tried to suit up this morning. Got my tights on, shoes on, couldn't buckle the ratchet and I couldn't even think about muscling my neoprene booties on.

Chiropractor tomorrow.

Reynaud's is the only thing holding me back. I will be looking into heated grips and/or gloves. If I could do that, the temp wouldn't be an issue at all.
  • 02-26-2015
    Kleebs
    Quote:

I'm in the same boat, but I rode in this morning. I've got a show tonight, and need my voice. Hot Toddies it is!

What kind of show?
  • 02-26-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    What kind of show?

Blues rock
  • 02-26-2015
    Kleebs
    Quote:

Blues rock

Nice. I'm the bassist in a blues trio here, so I had to ask.
  • 02-26-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Nice! It was a solo acoustic guitar and vocal.
  • 03-02-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Wife had several contractions last night, so I came home early from guys night. Thought for sure it was gonna happen, but still no baby. Took the minivan in this morning, just in case. I can usually make it home in around the same amount of time as driving because of lights, I save not having to change clothes and get the bike ready.
  • 03-02-2015
    Forster
    Quote:

Wife had several contractions last night, so I came home early from guys night. Thought for sure it was gonna happen, but still no baby. Took the minivan in this morning, just in case. I can usually make it home in around the same amount of time as driving because of lights, I save not having to change clothes and get the bike ready.

Well, congrats in advance. My son was hard pressed to come out too. Our doctor told my wife needed to be induced (by my count we were two weeks early) and that didn't work (mid-wife using homeopathic stuff). The next week we tried again and nothing. The following morning they broke her water to start things rolling and it still took 19 hours of labor. So have fun with that right? He's 15 now and 6'3"/178#. He wants to get serious about cycling this summer to get his legs ready for next football/basketball/soccer season.
  • 03-02-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    This is #4 for us, so we've got a good idea of what's up. But our daughter, the youngest, took a fast 3 hours from the start of labor to when she was born.
  • 03-02-2015
    Forster
    Quote:

This is #4 for us, so we've got a good idea of what's up. But our daughter, the youngest, took a fast 3 hours from the start of labor to when she was born.

Don't know if that's a rule, but subsequent labors seem to get faster. My older sister was 18 hours of labor, my younger brother was basically born in the waiting room. No wonder mom always liked him best.
  • 03-02-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

Congrats, Tex. Better reason than I've got. Woke up late
  • 03-02-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Congrats, Tex. Better reason than I've got. Woke up late

Thanks! Though, to be honest, I did that too. But only with the knowledge that I would be driving the minivan in to the office.
  • 03-03-2015
    mack_turtle
    wife won't "let" me ride home in the dark, so she drives the car ten miles to pick me up every night. until the sun is up past 9:00 pm, I don't see the point in riding to work when she is just going to waste gas driving all the way down to my job to shove my bike in the car so I can drive home. waste of my time, gas, and her time, so i just drive now and ride recreationally on my day off. I am not about to just pedal home with her on my tail in the car the whole time.
  • 03-03-2015
    bedwards1000
    ^^That's too bad. I've always thought I was more visible with my lights than not. DST starts this weekend so it won't be long.
  • 03-03-2015
    bikeCOLORADO
    1 Attachment(s)
    A fellow rider saw me from his car this morning and snapped this pic, ride with lights day or night!

Get some lights, a bright reflective jacket and ride day or night.

Attachment 969452
  • 03-03-2015
    mack_turtle
    my bike could be mistaken for an alien UFO, day or night. front and rear lights on my helmet, day-glo clothing, front and rear lights on the bike, front spoke light, reflective stickers on the rear wheel. I am more visible than any car. she is still totally brainwashed by years of anti-bike propaganda to think that I am not safe riding home at night. I am probably much safer at night due to the reduced traffic and contrast of my lights against a dark environment, but I can't reason with that kind of logic.
  • 03-03-2015
    Kleebs
    Didn't do laundry...
  • 03-12-2015
    mort1369
    Two words: Patellar Tendonitis. Will still be down for about another week.
  • 03-25-2015
    solarplex
    Usually, like today, wasn't organized and didn't have time to round up gear or food. Also not too driven to stay riding my studded bike
  • 03-26-2015
    mort1369
    Still waiting for the patellar tendonitis to go away. May take out the Kona tomorrow for a short hop regardless (the Raleigh is still being modified).
  • 03-26-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Woke up way too late. I was up last night trying to change the stock rotors out, and couldn't get 4 rotor bolts loose. They're cheap steel, so they immediately stripped out. Tried cutting slots for a flat headed screwdriver, and still couldn't get them to budge. I'll be heating them up this weekend to see if that makes a difference. But, I'll make up for the missed morning commute by doing "keep up with traffic during rush hour" intervals to meet up with the wifey tonight.
  • 03-27-2015
    jrm
    Switched it up and walked a majority of the way to work today.
  • 03-27-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Switched it up and walked a majority of the way to work today.

How far away is work? I've thought of doing the same every once in awhile, but I live almost 7 miles away, taking the shortest route. That means that I would have to leave at 4 am to be at the office on time.
  • 03-27-2015
    jrm
    Works about 5 miles away or a 10 mile round trip. I usually use a bus or the subway to bridge some of the gap and walk the rest. On Fridays i usually take my time getting home stopping at the pub and/or thrift shops on the way.
  • 03-28-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    That's not too bad. While the bus system here is fairly decent, it would be a logistical nightmare to make it from home to work. I would have to board 4 busses to make it happen.
  • 03-28-2015
    cyclingdutchman
    I did not ride the bike to work today, because i do not have to work on saturdays :-)

And next monday i wont because i have to go somewhere else after work, by bike would take too long :-(
  • 04-09-2015
    Rustedthrough
    Forecast included thunderstorms for my ride in and ride home. I am a wimp, who doesn't like to get wet.
  • 04-10-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Alternate morning activities yesterday on the fresh snow. The base is still 1-2 feet.
    http://<iframe width="420" height="3...reen></iframe>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC927pPSZqs
  • 04-10-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    It's hard to imagine that tonight I'll be taking a dip in the warm Gulf waters while you go running through snow. Great video, though!
  • 04-10-2015
    newfangled
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Alternate morning activities yesterday on the fresh snow. The base is still 1-2 feet.

My dog would so much not be into that. :)

So when is all of your snow normally gone? This has been a wacky winter on both sides of the continent, and we're maybe a week ahead of schedule here. Are you months behind, or is all that snow pretty normal?
  • 04-10-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post

Nice! I think today's rain and this weekend's warm temps are going to finally put a dent in our snow base.
  • 04-15-2015
    solarplex
    I slept in, going to be late, have no lunch, but im riding anyways!