Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I didn't ride today because I destroyed my legs last night with squats. I could barely walk down the stairs today... haha.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    "Did you ou the cat out?"
    "The cat died today!"
    "All the more reason to put it out."
    Nothing aginst cats, but...

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I ended up driving today. The weather has been kind of unpredictable all week, and yesterday I just dodged a severe thunderstorm on my bike. I was pissed, because it's a short commute. Mid Atlantic weather is a pain in my @ss compared to the west coast! I also reconfirmed the fact that I hate going to the gym compared to riding.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sooner or later I was going to contribute to this thread.

So I bought a nice c2005 Trek Portland from a friend of mine after I broke my last commute bike. He's a SRAM fan, so he'd swapped the drivetrain over to the complete SRAM Rival group. Last Friday, on my way to school, the right-hand shifter stopped working. In trying to figure out what was wrong with it, the DoubleTap lever actually fell off. The thing that holds it on, and at the right distance from the gear part of the ratcheting mechanism had broken. At least now I know why it wasn't working.

I ordered some shifters over the weekend and they came in yesterday. I promised myself I'd install them today. And, I started. But I had a job interview to go to downtown at 2:30. I'm de-evolving the bike to a 9-speed cassette with a Shimano Tiagra rear derailleur to go with downtube shifters. So I took the wheel off to change the cassette and noticed that it was flat. At this point, it's about 1:30, and I know that I need to get my butt out the door if I'm going to ride to the interview, make myself look professional to ******s, and be on time. So I gave up. And no funny shoes, so the other bikes are out. At least once I decided to drive I had time (sort of, ended up being about 2 minutes late after I couldn't figure out how to operate a parking machine) to install the rear derailleur. On the stand, at least, it works great.

I thought I might have time to go home and switch to a bike to go to school for my evening class, but by the time I managed to get myself out of downtown, I was running pretty short. So I drove to school on a week day for the first time ever. $5 to park downtown. $15 to park on campus. Lame. Days like this remind me why I commute by bike.

The next funny part is that I'm working a night shift tonight and will be driving.

I guess I'm getting all my automotive commuting in all at once.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    In trying to figure out what was wrong with it, the DoubleTap lever actually fell off.
    I once had the shifter of a CJ5 fall off in my hand. At least you weren`t rolling in traffic when it happened, like I was.

Yeah, hopefully things will straighten out again and you`ll be done having to hop in the car soon. Did you end up going with those Sunrace shifters that you asked about?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I did. I thought I was on the fence, but when someone quoted me the price for the Shimano shifters live, I decided I couldn't stomach spending that on downtube shifters on a bike that's supposed to be saving me money.

The bases are for a 28.6mm downtube, so they don't fit on my bike correctly out of the box. With some Dremeling, I got the right-hand one fitting reasonably well, installed the shifter and derailleur, and was able to at least try the bike on the rack at home. It shifts fine, and the shifter feel seems reasonable - distinct stops, not too much effort. I'm feeling pretty positive about road testing when I finish (hopefully tomorrow.) If I have the bike put together enough to ride, I'll go home via my coop and tension the rear wheel a bit higher too while I'm at it. I was sure the spokes were tight enough, but it's not proving to be my best work...

weirdo
    ^^Oh yeah, frame tubes have gotten fatter since those were popluar, haven`t they. But if they`re clamp ons, I don`t see how you mounted one and not both, or if they`re boss mounted, I don`t see why the tube diameter would matter. Anyway, I hope they work out. I`ve read that those Falcon thumbies actually work pretty well, and thinking that Sunrace might actually be the same manufacturer. Good luck and have fun.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I've got to make a field trip to a customers and then I have an appointment at the other end of the day. Driving to work seems so foreign. I did come in to work early and get in a short trail run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by melting snowman View Post
    didn't ride today because i got too drunk yesterday!
    ^+1

jrm
    mtbr member

b/c dammit i have growlers to fill

after work.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ^^Oh yeah, frame tubes have gotten fatter since those were popluar, haven`t they. But if they`re clamp ons, I don`t see how you mounted one and not both, or if they`re boss mounted, I don`t see why the tube diameter would matter. Anyway, I hope they work out. I`ve read that those Falcon thumbies actually work pretty well, and thinking that Sunrace might actually be the same manufacturer. Good luck and have fun.
    They're boss mounted.

The base slides on over the cylinderical part of the braze-on on the frame, and its rotation is constrained mainly by a square cutout on the inboard side. It also has a skirt that comes in contact with the frame, and is shaped to match the curvature of the frame. Initially, the skirt was preventing the base from snugging up against the square part of the braze-on. I thought about just going with it, but it wasn't particularly stable and I thought that was probably not where the pressure was supposed to be.

I searched for falcon thumb shifters just now. It doesn't look like quite the same product. These shifters are mostly metal on the outside - just a gasket on the shifter is plastic.

Clearly, there's a fair amount of interest in keeping bikes rolling with cheaper technology. It's maybe not people who shop where I usually do. The sales guy at my shop said he's never seen a set of the Sunrace shifters in person and will be really curious to hear how they work out. Funny shop - they mostly sell really high-end bikes and triathlon stuff, but they're right on top of a commute route, so changing flats on people's beaters is a major activity too.

mtbr member
    I have been on vacation in Pisgah for the last week. Now I am getting ready to go back to work but I think these saddle sores are going to keep me from commuting.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Dentist Appointment.

Bicycle Radical
    I got a brief ride on a borrowed bike while traveling on business yesterday however I won't get a chance to ride today since I am flying to yet another city.

But once I get back on Saturday, I am going to go nuts and go for a long long ride.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Follow-Up Dentist Appointment. First time I didn't commute by bike since the last one.

unpossibles
    I was up most of the night writhing in pain and throwing up due to a kidney stone that's apparently now mid-trip between my kidney and bladder. Fcking hilarious.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Makes my filling sound downright fun.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Today's my gf's birthday. So no commuting by bike because I'm taking the day off to spend it with her instead.

unpossibles
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_SL2 View Post
    I was up most of the night writhing in pain and throwing up due to a kidney stone that's apparently now mid-trip between my kidney and bladder. Fcking hilarious.
    I ended up getting admitted to the hospital yesterday and had surgery today. Barring anything unusual, I'm cleared to get back on the bike on Sunday.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Yikes, that sounds awful, hope you are feeling better. Take it easy upon your return.

weirdo
    Yuck! Hang in there, Josh. I didn`t need surgery, but was out for a week with a small but stubborn (slow moving) kidney stone a couple years ago, so I know how delightful they are

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I fully wussed out if the commute today. Really annoyed at myself today because the weather was perfect.

And it's going to rain next week :-(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Yuck! Hang in there, Josh. I didn`t need surgery, but was out for a week with a small but stubborn (slow moving) kidney stone a couple years ago, so I know how delightful they are
    +1

BrianMc

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've been missing a bunch.

I got a job for the summer. It's a little over 30 miles away by car, and it's in a town I've never visited by bike. The first route Google Maps proposes is a little much for me - it includes 5 miles on an interstate with a fair amount of traffic, much of it going 80 mph.

I don't like to be defeatist. The most straightforward route seems to me to be to take a trail and sneak in a slightly different way, adding about two miles and (I suspect) an off-road climb or descent, depending on direction. Tomorrow I'll take my 'cross bike and see if I can figure out the far end of that route after work. If it's not feasible on the 'cross bike, I don't think I want to do it on my MTB. The majority is still a road commute.

I think I can also do an all-road version of the route and come in from the back. That means 5 miles on a less suicidal but still scary road, and an up-and-over of a pretty significant ridge.

Wish me luck! TBH, a 60-mile round trip is probably something I'd only do some times a week. I'm not really interested in doing only the latter part by bike, because the nasty traffic I'd like to stop participating in is closer to home.

Anyway, hopefully my "real job" after I finish my degree will have a better commute. And moving will be more feasible...

weirdo
    Sounds interesting, AS. I hope you plan to document with some pictures! For what its worth, I`ve ridden a little bit of Interstate 80 (doable, somewhat scary, not pleasant) and often ride a short section of non-interstate freeway to get out of town to the north (actually not a bad ride). Check with legality for your state, and do a careful cage view recon, but don`t discount it completely just because its interstate- it might end up being less evil than the "still scary" route. Are there any multimodal possibilities?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    If it's not feasible on the 'cross bike, I don't think I want to do it on my MTB. The majority is still a road commute.
    Ooh! Sounds like a good excuse to try out some NEW TRIES!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast