mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Computer Commuter

Just got home commuting from work on my fixie Redline and the laptop is dead. It was fine when i've left work, and nothing out of the ordinary happened on the way. It was carried in a Chrome messenger type bag. No rain, no falls. Can the curvature of the back exerting pressure on the laptop kill the screen? The computer is old, but was working fine. Any advise for future prevention? Does the rattling associated with commuting, the pressure of the back and so on kill my next one as well? Thanks, I do need your opinion,

Token Hillbilly
    Was it in a standby mode, or turned off during transit?

That can have an effect if the hard drive was spinning and it takes a jolt. Laptop drives can spin at about 5400 to 7200 rpm, and sometimes even a slight bump can cause it to incur damage and break.

Otherwise, as long as you aren't putting kung-fu like pressure on the shoulder straps (which isn't likely since your arms need circulation), it's doubtful that you will exert enough pressure to flex the frame and damage a mainboard, or the like. Really, the most likely thing to break under your back curvature would be the screen, which is why I always travel with the underside of my lappy pointed toward my back.

Hope this helps!
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008

Gas Savings Calculators.....

delete...
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    I have had my laptop battery mysteriously go down to 4% after a commute, even though I had charged it before I left the house. I suspect it was from the battery terminals rattling around. It was fine after recharging and I haven't had any problems since then.

You should have it looked at. I don't think a normal commute is enough to destroy a laptop completely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Thanks and Answers

It was/is a very old IBM laptop that probably hadn't had much life in it anyways, but i am concered about possible effects for the next one, however:
    1. It may have been in a stand-by mode and not swithced off - point well taken
    2. The suugestion to ride with body of computer to back of riders is great
    Thanks!