mtbr member
    May 2007

COMPACT road levers for MTB V-brakes---argh..

From what I understand, the compact road levers (Cane Creek SCR-5c and Tektro R100a), don't pull far enough for MTB V-brakes.

I currently have Tektro RL520, designated brake levers for MTB V's, but they stick out from my drop bars too far. I really need a compact version of these . This is for my converted commuter 26" mtb with drop bars and one inch slicks.

weirdo
    Are you talking about the reach? To much stretch for your fingers? If so, you can likely fix them with a shim. On one pair that was too much stretch for me, I took the lever off, tapped a little hole up into the little lump where the cable would exit if it were a non-aero lever, and screwed a flat aluminum washer in there. Since then, I of heard a not-quite-so-secure, but much simpler method. Apparently, some people cut a little plastic piece from a self adhesive furniture foot pad and use it the same way.

viva la v-brakes!
    There is a device called a Travel Agent from Problem Solvers that allows you to use v-brakes with the standard road levers of your choice.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

jrm
    mtbr member

Options

Cane Creek SCR-5c and Tektro R100a will pull a canti brake. I have had the Cane Creeks and they are very comfortable.

Hold on to the Tektros and change the bar to a midge, dirt drop or compact road bar.

Would you consider a flat bar? Im using a on one freegle bar with shimano HL 550 brake/shifters on my CX bike and love it.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys