mtbr member

Commuting while sick

So I am recovering from an illness that pretty much wiped me out. Wondering when to resume my 10 mi commute. I am a triathlete primarily and commuting gets me some extra TITS (Time In The Saddle) but I do not want to do to much to soon.

So my main question for the seasoned commuters out there, how sick is to sick to bike?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I think that only you can be the judge of that.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you can walk, you can ride.

Try to be conscious of your body and keep the effort level down. If there are some hills on your commute that you can't do at low effort, you might want to hold off for a little longer. Don't be too proud to go home using another transportation option if it's really too much.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Swedetarded
    From the perspective of a year round commuter who doesn't own a car......

I let my current state of "health" dictate how hard I ride to work. When I have a cold/cough/whatever ailment, I just ride at a pace that I could hold a normal conversation at....ie no heavy breathing.

If I am too sick to bike at said pace, I am too sick to go to work.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If the cold is above the neck go for it....if it is below the neck better to wait.

I Ride for Donuts
    I just take it easy when I'm sick too... if I'm too sick to ride, I'm to sick to go. I have taken 4 sick days in 11 years, and I only drive on the worst days of winter. Jeffscott is on to something too.. if it's a head cold, it sucks but it can actually be nice to blow snot rockets for 10 miles and get that mucus on the move. If you've got major strength issues, stomach problems, etc... probably not going to help anything to ride. But if I was at that point I'd stay home anyway.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Exercise boosts the immune system but tasking low reserves in excess is not a good idea. The too sick to ride to work is too sick to be at work seems like an easy call-in to me. Feel like a hangover without the headache? Stay home.

A head cold forcing you to mouth breathe super cold air would be unwise in the depth of winter or in appreciable air pollution sick or no. Our nasal passages warm and filter the air and if ill, you need no more challenges. The 'elephant on the chest' of asthma with no inhaler requires a very slow un-fun ride in. Oh, and all illness is oxidative. So is generation of energy for cycling. Anti-oxidants help. Vitamin C (grams) and E (a gram or a bit more), zinc and magnesium for key enzyme support can help, too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A sudden bout of stomach flu in the middle of a commute can be an embarrassing experience. Trust me on this.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth
    A sudden bout of stomach flu in the middle of a commute can be an embarrassing experience. Trust me on this.
    Eww... Bad imagery... Outta my head

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth
    Where is the "like" button?

I Ride for Donuts
    I shoot a mean snot rocket, but THAT would be AWESOME.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Ugh! Home sick yesterday and today with a nasty chest & head/sinus cold. I wish more co-workers would use their paid sick leave rather than spreading their germs around!