Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7

    Commuting tubeless?

    Hi all,

    First of all, let me introduce myself:
    I started commuting by bike since 2012 and my commute is about 18 miles 1 way and consists mostly of dedicated bikepaths (asphalt) or brick pavement (no off road).

    I now use 28" wheelset with 32mm. vittoria randonneur hyper tires but I was thinking about trying out some really nice wide tires and I read that wide tires and tubeless is common in the mountainbike world. I am definitely keen to try it out. Only thing that has held me back is my lack of knowledge on the tubeless subject.

    I am not a mountainbiker but I thought I might get some good advice here. So basically I have some questions:

    Would it be worth it to go tubeless in the first place for my 36 mile daily commute? If so, what kind of wheelset would I be looking for? 26" or 29"? Go with a cheap wheelset and go "ghetto tubeless"? Or look for a more expensive and heavier UST wheelset or go with one of the stans no tubes wheelsets (crest, arch or flow?) or WTB with their tubeless sytem? I weigh about 165 lbs.

    Basically what I am looking for is a wheelset with tubeless tires that can provide a comfy yet fast ride with plenty of puncture protection.
    What I had in mind myself was the schwalbe super motos on a tubeless (or tubeless ready?) 26" or 29" wheelset. They're supposed to be wide, supple, comfy and fast. But I have no idea what kind of wheelset would be recommended for my commute.

    (btw. my disc brake equipped bike can take wide tires up to 60 mm. in 26" 27".5" or 29" with quick release front and rear, so in that sense, I am not limited)

    I am open to suggestions/advice

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    921
    You are going to run 26" tires on 29er? Geo. and BB will be off, as well as handling. I would run 29". I have 2 such set ups on my mt bikes running tubeless. The UST rim/ tire combinations work really well together. Think about the tire width you want to run and the proper width rim for them. Are the super motos tubeless compatible?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    You are going to run 26" tires on 29er? Geo. and BB will be off, as well as handling. I would run 29". I have 2 such set ups on my mt bikes running tubeless. The UST rim/ tire combinations work really well together. Think about the tire width you want to run and the proper width rim for them. Are the super motos tubeless compatible?
    Well, not exactly, it's just that I can run 26" wheels as well as 29" wheels on my bike. And I don't even have to worry about BB being off. I ride a recumbent bike with lots of clearance for really wide tires. Only my seat height would be affected by changing from 29" to 26".

    From what I've read, the super motos can be run tubeless. They are about 60 mm. in width I think, available in 26" and 29" but what kind of rim would be recommended respectively? UST or tubeless ready, or should I try 'ghetto tubeless'?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    77
    What kind of pressure do you run in your tires? I would love to try ghetto tubeless on my commuter, but I run high pressure 700/28 or 700/35 tires. So I'm stuck with sealant tubes to deal with the puncture vine (goatheads).

    If I'm bored one day I will try it with my front 700/35 on the one bike. I think it would run ok at ~50 psi. I kinda think that would hold with ghetto tubeless, but I have no experience.

  5. #5
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,511
    I have had UST rims on my mtb since 2005. They're worth every penny. Maximum tire compatibility, and the simplest tubeless setup.

    I have done semi-ghetto tubeless with them (regular tires with sealant), UST tires, and am currently running Continental tubeless-ready tires. Only the semi-ghetto wasn't worth the trouble.

    I do not run tubeless on my commuter. I'd either have to buy new wheels or set them up ghetto. I tend to run pretty thick tires, anyway, and have not had significant flat trouble. So I just don't have the incentive to go tubeless on that bike.

  6. #6
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,894
    I run 5 sets of tubeless ready rims and tires (approaching 3,500 miles this year primarily on Racing Ralph's) for commutes, dirt, pavement, trails...

    If you go with Stan's rims (i'd recommend you get 29er wheels), Crests would be more than adequate for your needs. If you think you might use the wheels on another bike, I'd get a Stan's HD front hub- you can switch inserts from 9mm to accommodate 15 or 20mm thru axles.

    I'm 195 lbs. and run stock Stan's built Crest wheels tubeless with Racing Ralph's both on trails and a weekly urban assault ride where we do stair cases, moderate drops, some dirt, paved trails and road.

    Super Moto's do not offer much of an advantage over Racing Ralph's in my experience. A couple of riders ran them for a few of our Tuesday hammer fests (average of ~14 - 16 MPH) and gained nothing over us RaRa rolling people. You can find Racing Ralph's for $45-50 ea. on sale.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    What kind of pressure do you run in your tires? I would love to try ghetto tubeless on my commuter, but I run high pressure 700/28 or 700/35 tires. So I'm stuck with sealant tubes to deal with the puncture vine (goatheads).

    If I'm bored one day I will try it with my front 700/35 on the one bike. I think it would run ok at ~50 psi. I kinda think that would hold with ghetto tubeless, but I have no experience.
    I run my current tires at 50 to 60 psi, so not too much pressure. However I would like to run a tubeless set with much wider tires, at much lower pressure. I'm dealing with punctures as well on wet days which is why I was looking for a tubeless setup.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I run 5 sets of tubeless ready rims and tires (approaching 3,500 miles this year primarily on Racing Ralph's) for commutes, dirt, pavement, trails...

    If you go with Stan's rims (i'd recommend you get 29er wheels), Crests would be more than adequate for your needs. If you think you might use the wheels on another bike, I'd get a Stan's HD front hub- you can switch inserts from 9mm to accommodate 15 or 20mm thru axles.

    I'm 195 lbs. and run stock Stan's built Crest wheels tubeless with Racing Ralph's both on trails and a weekly urban assault ride where we do stair cases, moderate drops, some dirt, paved trails and road.

    Super Moto's do not offer much of an advantage over Racing Ralph's in my experience. A couple of riders ran them for a few of our Tuesday hammer fests (average of ~14 - 16 MPH) and gained nothing over us RaRa rolling people. You can find Racing Ralph's for $45-50 ea. on sale.
    thanks for the tips! I would definitely consider a light stans Crest wheelset. Commuting and road riding would be the main purpuse (no off road).
    I was thinking of the super motos because I read that they were really fast, but offered not much puncture protection (hence I thought about setting them up tubeless). Since I'm not going to do any off roading I consequently turned my attention to "slicks" (super moto, big apple) so hadn't really considered knobby tires.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have had UST rims on my mtb since 2005. They're worth every penny. Maximum tire compatibility, and the simplest tubeless setup.

    I have done semi-ghetto tubeless with them (regular tires with sealant), UST tires, and am currently running Continental tubeless-ready tires. Only the semi-ghetto wasn't worth the trouble.

    I do not run tubeless on my commuter. I'd either have to buy new wheels or set them up ghetto. I tend to run pretty thick tires, anyway, and have not had significant flat trouble. So I just don't have the incentive to go tubeless on that bike.
    Thanks. If I may ask, what UST rims do you use on your tubeless setup? and what is the tubeless tire width?

  10. #10
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,511
    Quote Originally Posted by henkie327 View Post
    Thanks. If I may ask, what UST rims do you use on your tubeless setup? and what is the tubeless tire width?
    I use a Mavic Crosstrail UST disc wheelset. I bought it in 05 or so, so it's the earlier non-convertible hub axle design. It's been a solid wheelset for me. It's only needed truing once since I've owned it (this summer). I'm currently riding 2.2 Continental X-King ProTection (tubeless ready), but have had as large as a 2.4 Conti Mtn King on them.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 11:53 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •