Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Commuting Questions

Hi everybody.

I am looking at taking a job that is a little over 2 miles from my house. I plan to start commuting on my Giant Revel 1 mountain bike. I was wondering what you would recommend for starting out? I am already planning to get a headlight and tail light.

Would you recommend wearing bike shorts/pants and a jersey or just my regular work clothes?

Any additional accessories i should look at?

Thanks for the help!

Moderator Moderator
    A lock, fenders, and a spare tube/pump/tire levers are necessities for most commuters. Even though you have a pretty short ride, I'd leave some work clothes and shoes at work if you can...they stay nice and clean that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    A lock, fenders, and a spare tube/pump/tire levers are necessities for most commuters. Even though you have a pretty short ride, I'd leave some work clothes and shoes at work if you can...they stay nice and clean that way.
    Lock, spare tube/pump/tire levers are all part of what i usually carry....hadnt thought of the fenders.

Will certainly have to look at keeping a spare set of clothes there as well.

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a short commute too, and I ride in my work clothes. I ride with fenders most of the time. Even if it's sunny out, there's usually a random puddle from sprinklers or something to ride through, so fenders keep me clean. I leave spare shoes at work in case of mud/rain/feel like riding clipless. I keep a couple tools at work, but if something catastrophic happens, it's a short walk.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I have a short commute too, and I ride in my work clothes. I ride with fenders most of the time. Even if it's sunny out, there's usually a random puddle from sprinklers or something to ride through, so fenders keep me clean. I leave spare shoes at work in case of mud/rain/feel like riding clipless. I keep a couple tools at work, but if something catastrophic happens, it's a short walk.
    Thanks for your input. I am becoming more and more convinced I should invest in fenders.

I'm thinking i'll start out just trying regular work clothes and see what happens. (take some spare just in case).

and worst comes to worst i can call my wife to pick me up!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by silver07 View Post
    I'm thinking i'll start out just trying regular work clothes and see what happens. (take some spare just in case).
    Perfect. Your own experience with your own route and situation trumps anything else.

You have a good way to carry your goodies? If you don`t plan on riding that bike offroad, a set of slicks might be another nice change (though certainly not a necessity). Bright colored or reflective vest/jacket if it`s a high traffic zone?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    One of the things i like about my commute is that it can be as short as 6 miles, or up to 62 miles depending on how many miles i want to put in my legs that day.

Just ride it a few times and you will figure out what you need.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Perfect. Your own experience with your own route and situation trumps anything else.

You have a good way to carry your goodies? If you don`t plan on riding that bike offroad, a set of slicks might be another nice change (though certainly not a necessity). Bright colored or reflective vest/jacket if it`s a high traffic zone?
    Thanks. I am either going to just use a backpack or may look into panniers. Not sure yet. Think this might be a decision I make once I actually start doing it.

My route will be low traffic, basically can cut through neighborhoods all the way if I feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    One of the things i like about my commute is that it can be as short as 6 miles, or up to 62 miles depending on how many miles i want to put in my legs that day.

Just ride it a few times and you will figure out what you need.

Bill
    Yeah I think it will be trial and error. I figured I would ask here to see if anybody had some "necessities" they recommend.

Choo Choo
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    it can be as short as 6 miles, or up to 62 miles
    Bill
    Any reason it couldn't be 74 miles?
    "A Pound Of Nuts Is Simply Not Enough To Keep My Rage At Bay" - PTH

mtbr member
    A Sunday test ride would be a good idea. It will sort out a lot of things like a backpack being too sweaty, clothes not surviving the ride, and other factors that will become apparent with the ride.

I Ride for Donuts
    Mine could be thousands of miles if I left early enough.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    A Sunday test ride would be a good idea. It will sort out a lot of things like a backpack being too sweaty, clothes not surviving the ride, and other factors that will become apparent with the ride.
    Something so simple yet it didn't even cross my mind. Will certainly have to do this. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just do it as is, for the time being it is only 2 miles. Most suckers in cars will be commuting for at least 30 minutes each way knowing how crazy Americans are with their life priorities, adding about an hour or more of unpaid, costly, car commuting time.

As you do it more and more invest more and more in becoming properly equipped. Who knows you may not even commute for some reason or other. Some things you will eventually want: road slicks, rear rack, panniers, if commuting at night or dusk: head and tail-light(if not forget it), fenders. For 2 miles it is probably not worth the time to change clothes, unless you one of those types who sweats profusely even while sneezing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyFokker View Post
    Just do it as is, for the time being it is only 2 miles. Most suckers in cars will be commuting for at least 30 minutes each way knowing how crazy Americans are with their life priorities, adding about an hour or more of unpaid, costly, car commuting time.
    Funny you mention this...i currently commute 30 minutes each way. One of the many reasons for looking at this company so close is actually to be close to home and spend time with my family.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Lock, spare tube/pump/tire levers are all part of what i usually carry....hadnt thought of the fenders.

Will certainly have to look at keeping a spare set of clothes there as well.

Thanks for the input.
    Also depends on how fast you want to get there,or making your ride a little longer for a workout. Are you a really bad sweating person or not? You have to know how long it takes you to get fully dressed in your work clothes and your time in the Mens room to wash-up. If you ride in reg clothes you still always want to have that extra set of clothes for an unexpected incident. Don't forget extra socks help if you sweat alot on your feet or you get wet. Best of all enjoy your commute and be and ride safe

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You will the first time you have to roll home in a downpour with the front tire blasting you in the face.

.....ask me how I know this

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MS150Rider66 View Post
    Also depends on how fast you want to get there,or making your ride a little longer for a workout. Are you a really bad sweating person or not? You have to know how long it takes you to get fully dressed in your work clothes and your time in the Mens room to wash-up. If you ride in reg clothes you still always want to have that extra set of clothes for an unexpected incident. Don't forget extra socks help if you sweat alot on your feet or you get wet. Best of all enjoy your commute and be and ride safe
    Thanks for the input. I'll plan to leave an extra set of clothes at work then just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
    You will the first time you have to roll home in a downpour with the front tire blasting you in the face.

.....ask me how I know this
    Ha I have a feeling I can take a guess at this!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the input. I'll plan to leave an extra set of clothes at work then just to be sure.

Ha I have a feeling I can take a guess at this!
    so how many commutes it has been 3 weeks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    so how many commutes it has been 3 weeks
    None yet....haven't started that job. Will be starting there in two weeks. I'm now just working on getting my bike ready for the daily commute.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Last job was only 1.5 miles from home. Big mistake for me, too close to begin warming up, waste of tire rubber and chain lube, useless junk miles. I coulda rode in dressed in tails. Next time I work it will be five miles one way minimum. If you're gonna go 2 miles you still need lights to be seen, fenders for rain etc. . . As far as special clothes go no need, Just make sure your pants don't get gunked up by the chain and Ur good to go.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    A lot has already been covered. Start with basics being lock and lights if there is any chance you'll need them. Find out your local laws so at least you know and adjust everything from there. It also helps if you have a dedicated commuter so you don't have to keep tweaking things back and forth if using a mountain bike that you use on trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So the new job starts tomorrow so i've been working on getting the bike ready. I have everything except the fenders so I think i'll be ok to start it out.

Did a test ride there today for time to allow and to make sure i'll be ok just wearing my work clothes. Haven't ridden seriously in over a year so i figured it was best to check.

I'll check in tomorrow to report in on how my first day commuting went!

blet drive
    awsome
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    May your ride be uneventful - save for the big grin on your face!

mtbr member

Things are pretty well covered by everyone, the only thing that stands out to me - is the route entirely flat? It's hilly enough where I am that even a 2 mile ride could leave a person very sweaty.

When you add fenders, make sure they are full length fenders and add mudflaps. Makes a HUGE difference over lesser fenders. IMO lesser fenders are hardly worth it. SKS and Planet Bikes make good full length plastic fenders and mudflaps. Velo Orange and Honjo make pretty (and expensive) aluminum fenders that you can add leather mudflaps to.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast