mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Commuting question

I am lucky enough to live less than 5 miles away from work one way. More than half way I am on the town bike path which I access just around the corner from my house.
    A couple of years ago I bought a Haro Mary SS 29'r bike. Sweet ride for sure and great "off road" but it did not take long to realize that with the stock gearing I was spinning out around 13 MPH. Unless I was on a trail somewhere, flat bike path bites when you are doing about 10-11 MPH. I changed gearing a few teeth and can now average 15-17. Down hill I can still feel resistance pedaling around 21 MPH. Yes it is still a workout but now my off road adventures suck. I want to find a good commuter bike. The reason I purchased a fixie was the clean lines and the cool looks of the 29r. I saw a Linus Roadster 8 with its clean internal hub and thought that it looked like a cool retro commuter (old school). I do not know if that would be a good all around bike or if I would be happier with a good shifty mountain/29r. The only issue I have is that a new bike would mean selling my Mary since talking the Mrs. Into an $800 addition would be hard. If I could then I would definitely change gearing back to original on Mary. Any thoughts on Linus or other alternatives would be a great help. Thanks

mtbr member
    Keep an eye on Craigslist/Ebay for a cheap used bike, then keep and ride both.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    Yeah, keep your Haro set up for trails and get another for the commute. You can find an IG or geared bike for way less than $800, and since you don`t seem to miss a derailler, you could do up a sweet SS conversion for half that. Under a hundred if you kept it "utility". I`m keeping my triple cranks, though.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Or get a second set of wheel and manage the budget your self! lol
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Jeephead, I've got two singlespeeds - my 29er is geared for trails (although I still commute on it, but it is spinny), and my "cruiser" is geared for roads.

The cruiser is just a boring, old late-80's mountain bike that I found at the bike co-op. I pulled the derailleurs off, put big slicks on, and it cost under $200 including fenders and everything else:

The bike co-ops and craigslists of the world are full of late 80's mountain bikes that are perfect for singlespeed conversion, and should be easily doable for under $100. You just need to make sure that they have a horizontalish dropout to allow for adjusting the chain tension:

Newer bikes (1990ish) generally have vertical dropouts that don't work:

(credit to Sheldon Brown for the images)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The bike co-ops and craigslists of the world are full of late 80's mountain bikes that are perfect for singlespeed conversion, and should be easily doable for under $100. You just need to make sure that they have a horizontalish dropout to allow for adjusting the chain tension:

Newer bikes (1990ish) generally have vertical dropouts that don't work:

(credit to Sheldon Brown for the images)[/QUOTE]

Thanks...great idea and good info. Mission has now changed, nix the Linus and track down a used mountain bike, put slicks on her for less rolling resistance and decide which direction I want to go with gearing. Then return Mary to her true purpose. Thanks!!!
    -Peace