Nervous Descender

Commuting Pet Peeve- What is up with these drivers?

WTF is up with these drivers that yell at you to "Get on the sidewalk"? For that matter, the roads I commute on have no sidewalks. I'm continually perplexed by these people's stupidity and apparent rage toward cyclists on the road. Hell- don't they know it's technically illegal to ride on the sidewalk in most areas?

For example- today on my ride home from work- I'm cruising at the far right of the road (35mph speed limit) with a decent shoulder- I'm doing maybe 20 or 21 mph- riding responsibly, minding my own business, not in anyone's way- plenty of room for cars to pass. Some punk in a VW golf rolls by- "Get on the sidewalk!". WTF???
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Chase them down and ask them why they yelled at you and explain the rights of a cyclists and the laws. Put a hand on their car or mirror so they won't be inclined to just drive off. Do this calmly and cheerfully.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Don't get on the sidewalk. Pull out your keys from your pocket. As the driver goes by, dig that key as hard as you can into the door panel of the car. Revenge feels damn good.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Chase them down and ask them why they yelled at you and explain the rights of a cyclists and the laws. Put a hand on their car or mirror so they won't be inclined to just drive off. Do this calmly and cheerfully.

If you put a hand on their car make sure you do it on the passenger side. Often irate drivers will try to open the door really violently, so you don't want to be on the driver side. Put your hand on the passenger side window is a good visible place.

and make sure you knock on the window to get their attention first so that they are paying attention to you and not their loud music.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Just blow it off...

I've found over the years that there is absolutely nothing you can say to a Jackass like that, that will make one bit of difference in his or her attitude. All it does in most cases if simply enrage them further. In most cases it isn't worth your breath or effort to even try. So just flip em the bird and let it pass. It ain't worth getting your blood pressure up over.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    I've found over the years that there is absolutely nothing you can say to a Jackass like that, that will make one bit of difference in his or her attitude. All it does in most cases if simply enrage them further. In most cases it isn't worth your breath or effort to even try. So just flip em the bird and let it pass. It ain't worth getting your blood pressure up over.

Good Dirt
    Yeah, this is my attitude too.

No sense getting worked up. Unless the driver tries to harm me physically, then thats a different story, It's just words...then why bother getting upset. I let it slide. I just give a wave, say have a nice day or thank them for the advice.

I'm SUCH a square....
    My usual response is something on the order of, "Get off your mother!"
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Nervous Descender
    I was thinking about this again on my commute today. I think people hate bikes because they feel like they have to be extra careful because we're on the road. We affect their driving experience and they're on some level afraid they are going to hit us. It is, after all, our fault that they have to avoid us.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    At least it wasn't something like "Hey, pu$$y! I'll steal your bike!" or "F-you!" Haha! Happened to me when I was riding my bike in the city at night. I believe the idjits were high school or college students just having a night out. I didn't atke it personally at all; in fact, I found it a bit amusing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I seem to encounter one of the same three types over and over:
    1. Overweight guy in large SUV wearing sunglasses (even at night) driving with one hand and holding 432 ounce soda with the other, will crack the window just a little as to not let the air conditioning out as he yells at me to get off the road.
    2. A car load of extremely overweight women, all smoking cigarattes, and blaring some white trash anthem on the stereo. They will turn it down enough to yell at me.
    3. A 102 year old man that thinks you'll end up on a government list if you let your car tires cross the white line in the middle. This guy usually has nothing against cyclist he just cant give you any room.
    Every incident I have ever had seems to match one of the three. The first two types are usually the types that feel being overweight and unhealthy is a legal right and should be mandatory for everyone. I like to believe they are upset because I can enjoy and do something they cannot. Just blow them off.

achiever
    I don't mind the yelling too much except I'm usually wraped up in some internal conversation and jump when I hear it!

That said, I'll take yelling over getting shiit thrown at me any day.

Red

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I will take the yelling at me over the people who come up behind me in the bike lane and beep at me. Apparently it is their personal passing lane and i am inconveniencing them.