mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Commuting guide books ...?

I will be doing some urban commuting along with rush hour vehicles, delivery trucks, etc. Moderate northern California weather. Some dedicated bike lanes, many roads without bike lanes, etc., etc.

Any good books on commuting, riding along cars in traffic. Dos and don'ts in traffic, tips and tricks, etc.

Thank You Much

I Ride for Donuts
    This forum is as useful as any book would be. Lots of folks here with very practical experience/advice.

I commuted in LA county for a couple years... my simple advice is: obey lights, stay out of door range, and take the lane. Basically, be a car.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Check these (Googled: Commuting cycling tips bike)

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/practic...mmuteguide.htm

http://www.commutebybike.com/cats/commuting-101/

http://www.runmuki.com/

http://bikecommutetips.blogspot.com/ (Has ad for bike to Work Guide)

My favorite:

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/commute/tricks.htm (In memoriam maintained by family killed by a drunk driver.)

Enjoy!

weirdo
    ^^^Beat me to it- Ken Kifer.
    Plus, keep your head on your shoulders becuase the "right" way isn`t always best.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
    I will be doing some urban commuting along with rush hour vehicles, delivery trucks, etc. Moderate northern California weather. Some dedicated bike lanes, many roads without bike lanes, etc., etc.

Any good books on commuting, riding along cars in traffic. Dos and don'ts in traffic, tips and tricks, etc.

Thank You Much

No books or references from me....

But for me commuting is an everyday thing..

When you settle on a route, examine it in detail

Identify all the hazards, and then mitigate every hazard in some way.

When I started commuting my route was not very safe but it was directly there..

Now I ride a route that is longer, but much safer and more relaxing.

I maximized the number of playground zones, school zones and pathways I ride.

Good Luck

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    hey guys...who is going to start a Commuting FAQ thread?..would it be worth of a sticky here?...who wants to do it? if one or two of the experienced city riders (aka, BrianMc, rodar, Cboy, norm etc.) offers to invest some time I could do a nice mock up and send it for your review...PM me if interested. I won't do it by my own...my experience is not like the one you could have...but I'll be happy to start something you guys could work on.

back on topic...already said...but for me is crucial...pick the safer route and work from there, unless your destination has a tough location, you'll always have more than one route...obey traffic law as much as it doesn't affect your safety.

Are we there yet?
    I highly recommend Robert Hurst's "Art of Urban Cycling". Sorry, no link 'cuz I'm lazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    BrianMc's links are very good.

As someone else stated, the most direct route is not necessarily the best. The route I use when I drive to work, I use because it minimizes the number of stop lights and signs. Problem with this route is that there is a big hill climb on a 30 MPH road where many people tend to speed. Add to that, twists which can obscure a bicyclist riding slowly up the hill along the right side. So instead of using this route, I go through residential streets and through trial and error, I am finding flatter routes even though my commute gets extended by about .5 mi. Let's just say a 300 ft climb over 0.5 mi isn't the most fun thing to do on the way to work since it'll just make me sweat more. There is no shower or changing facility at my work place it is to my benefit to stay cool and dry as much as possible.

Watch out for schools if you have to pass through during morning drop off or afternoon pick up. Double parked cars everywhere, kids running across the street mid-block sometimes after jumping out of a double parked car. There is a lot going on here in addition to electronic distractions. It's a nightmare and super dangerous place that should be avoided if possible.

One of those links says to use generator lights. I can see their point, but personally, I only have a light to be seen by since San Francisco is pretty well illuminated. I use rechargeables and change the batteries out religiously before they ever get run down completely. Rechargeables are more costly up front but much more cost effective than alkalines in the long run. Just be sure to get a good charger possibly with a conditioning function. This will keep your batteries in good shape. The Lacrosse BC900 is kind of like the gold standard of widely available chargers for around to $40. The Maha C9000 is good too but costs around $60.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostQuick
    I highly recommend Robert Hurst's "Art of Urban Cycling". Sorry, no link 'cuz I'm lazy.
    I read a book I thought it was called "the art of cycling" don't remember who wrote it
    might be the same book might not

It is the best book I have ever read on the subject and I highly recomend it