mtbr member
    May 2008

Commuting = Yuengling

I have had my Kona blast for about a month now, the longest ride that I had been on was 8 miles. So I just did my first commute from work to home. I found a short cut that cut about 5 miles of my ride. I am pretty stoked about doing the commute, it only took me about 42 min. I did learn that I need to put my toe clips back on. Now if I can only get the wife to take me to work in the morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i only clicked on this thread because you enticed me with a yuengling.

those in the know...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yuengling is my reward for every commute

Custom User Title
    Feb 2008
    I've commuted to work exactly once. It's not even a terribly bad ride, it's about 8-10 miles depending the route I take.

I'm against bicycles sharing the road with cars, though, and the shortest path to my work would take me down a high-traffic connecting road with no sidewalk and no shoulder for about a mile. It's both terribly nerve-wracking to be on that stretch with a line of traffic building up behind me while taking the lane, and I hate to put people in that position because the fastest I can manage on that stretch is about half of the posted speed limit. I'll ride in a bike lane if there is one, but if not, I think it's rude to actually do what we're legally allowed to do because it puts other people in a situation where they are being impacted.

If I take the "long" way around, I've gone from an 8-mile, 30 minute commute to a 15 mile, hour+ commute.

Plus my road bike isn't really that good for commuting anyway, I think I'd rather have a real commuter with racks and panniers.

And then, getting out late at night and having to ride home in the dark....ugh.

mtbr member
    I think riding in the dark is safer b/c you can see what's coming around blind corners. I light up like a christmas tree and I think (or maybe just hope) that I'm easier to see too.

c

mtbr member
    Think those little tire flys and handlebar lamp and flashing rear light would help in the dark? And some reflective clotthes.
    [SIZE="3"][08' Windsor Ghost 6500][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Rock Shox Dart 1 - Tektro Discs - WTB Velociraptors - Alex DP17 rims[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Ride it like you stole it.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a little reflective belt that I wear, plus a set of front and rear lights