Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Commuter's fable: "Spandex F@gg0t!"

Early this morning on my ride down a double track service road I heard the rumble of a diesel pick up coming up behind me, so I moved over to the far right shoulder of the road to allow the truck to pass. It is not unusual to encounter quarry worker or rancher traffic on this road, so I assumed that the driver would slow down and we would exchange friendly waves as happens almost every time I do my morning ride on this section of road.
    Instead of seeing one of the marked company trucks which I am accustomed to seeing, a red Dodge slows down right beside me and a passenger rolls down his window and yells “SPANDEX F@GGOT!” the two men in the cab erupt with laughter and the truck accelerates, leaving me in a black cloud of diesel exhaust. I was rather pissed, but did not react in any way. Only about a hundred yards down the road the truck is carrying a great deal of speed and bounces over an erosion berm. I hear the sound of metal clanging, and I see a toolbox in the back of the truck become air born. The metal box lands back into the bed of the truck, but it is obvious that much of its contents have fallen onto the road.
    I was certain that the driver and his passengers noticed what had happened, and would stop to gather the tools, so I figured that I would stop to wish them a good morning and help them pick up their property. My reasoning behind this was that these buffoons wouldn’t really know how to react to such a kind gesture. To my surprise the truck continued down the road and was a speck in the distance when I reached a pile of sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, and drill bits on the road.
    My jacket pockets and saddle bag were filled to capacity with the truck driver’s unintended apology gift, and the largest crescent wrench was strapped securely into the brackets holding my frame pump. After a few miles of ballasted pedaling, I was back at home with my new tools.
    Moral of the story: A guy wearing insulated tights during his morning exercise will gladly find the rightful owner of lost property, but a “spandex F@GGOT” will gladly keep whatever he finds for himself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ha! Nice story.

mtbr member
    I'm glad this didn't end like the Dead Kennedy's "night of the red necks"

cheers.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Ah you see, karma really does work!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

mtbr member

Good job! Excellent Story

The better person definitely prevailed...
    Fightline
    aka
    --Derek--

weirdo
    The only bummer is that they`ll never know they paid you back. Cool story.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Tools from the Tools...how fitting!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Update!

This morning I rode by an aparment complex and saw the same red Dodge truck parked in the tenant lot (small town Wyoming ). I rode by again this evening and the truck was parked in the same space. the guy is most likely a student at a local automotive tech school.

I have no desire to bring harm to the guy or damage his property, but I am wondering if anyone has a good idea how I could have some harmless fun with this.

Funny note or picture?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...i just hope they where snap-on
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

high-fivin' your nipples
    Feb 2009
    You could put the tools back in his truck box one at a time, but spray-paint them pink first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Knock on his door and offer back his tools, He'll probably feel really crappy about what he said and might respect cyclists more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_ca
    Knock on his door and offer back his tools, He'll probably feel really crappy about what he said and might respect cyclists more.
    Should I wear my neon bibs when doing this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Or tape a socket a day to his truck antenna...with a note on how to retrieve the rest of his tools, until he contacts you to pick them up?

No-Brakes Cougar
    I say keep the tools. He shouldn't have been talking $h!t in the first place, when he was in a moving vehicle and could have easily run away like he did. Build, repair or maintain a "F@gg0t" bicycle and donate it to a local charity or someone in need. Leave a picture of it under his windshield wiper with a note thanking him for "bettering his community." That should get his goat.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

I Ride for Donuts
    Leave a note and a pair of spandex under his windshield.

"Dear Idiot Redneck,
    Thanks for the tools you left on the road for me. Just trying to pay you back. Enjoy.

Sincerely,
    Spandex F@ggot."

but the truly cool thing to to would be to put all the tools back in his truck and just leave him a note that says something like
    "I returned your tools even though you are a prick. Try being nice to people some day, it feels pretty good.
    -Spandex F@ggot"
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 02-20-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Give him the opportunity to apologize. Leave a note with a some form of contact (perhaps e-mail for anonymity) where he can apologize and explain his motivation for his actions. If the apology is sufficient and he reaches an understanding of your situation, you will happily return his tools.

mtbr member
    keep em' !!

maybe hit his bumper with a rainbow bumper sticker

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    keep the tools and just leave it at that. smirk everytime you see his truck...
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    If it was me, I would take a picture of all the tools and leave it on his windshield with a note that says "Lose something on the road?" Simple, but effective.
    This should drive him crazy. He must know he lost his tools, but to know someone has them and is taunting him with this knowledge is priceless.
    Anyhow, great story. We have all been there. Things usually don't work out this well.

Todd