mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Commuter tough cruiser tires?

I've been commuting on my Santa Cruz Nomad mountain bike lately and the full suspension and 2.35 knobs are really taking their toll. I'd like to get a true skinny tire commuter, but don't have the funds right now and am thinking about trying out my Schwinn Cruiser 6 circa 1998. It's in incredible shape and rides like a dream, but still has the original white wall tires. Since I need to replace the tires anyway I thought I'd see if there are any good commuter tires for cruiser bikes. I'd like something that is tough and rolls fast.
    Any suggestions?
    [SIZE="5"]To insanity and beyond.....[/SIZE]

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsdad
    ...any good commuter tires for cruiser bikes. I'd like something that is tough and rolls fast....
    Tough and fast means harsh ride. There's cheap 1.5x26" tires at performancebikes.com, they are light, fast, not so tough. The Michelin City Tires are tough, fast and ride like solid rubber trike tires when I pump 'em to 80psi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Schwalbe Big Apple

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Specialized Hemisphere, Schwalbe Big Apple, Panaracer T-Serv (comes in colors!)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I use $10 Schwinn cruiser tires on my mtb/commuter and it held up great so far. Less rolling resistance compared with my knobby (obviously) and I can still hop over objects and curbs without fear of bending a rim (something I fear with 1.5" commuter tires).

I initially wanted to put on Maxxis Hookworms, but my LBS didn't have it. Good thing since I can buy two sets of these for the price of one set of Hookworms.

Knockwood
    Continental City tires have served me well- dunno if they come in a smaller size than 700c tho....
    "Arf" said Sandy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm running Schwalbe Marathon 1.5". They roll great but you will feel everything if you run them at high pressure. Your rim width may be a limiting factor in deciding what tires you can run.

ONe less gear
    I replaced my IRC redstorm street 700x23c's with some Boro 700x28c's. Now I feel like I am losing air all the time because these tires are so plush. I replaced the Redstorms because of numerous flats they actually said not to go over curbs on the package.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not sure I'd be commuting on a Nomad and taking time to switch tires for trail, but I like the dirt jumper type tires for heavy duty commuting. Kenda and Maxxis both make a BMX style tread that will work on dirt to some degree.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The 2.35" Big Apples are pretty nice (I run them on my Xtracycle). They really feel nice, and feel like they have minimal rolling resistance, especially for a big, low-pressure tire.

On the other end of the scale, I have my converted mountain bike commuter, which is running WTB Slickasaurus 26 x 1.1 tires at around 80-100 psi. Not quite as cushy, but it's a pretty good all-rounder for city and rough-road riding, still.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Kenda Flames! Awesome commute tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hhumbert
    Continental City tires have served me well- dunno if they come in a smaller size than 700c tho....
    Yes, they make several 26" touring/commuting tires.
    City Contact
    Travel Contact
    both semi slick with puncture protection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Loved my Conti Contacts, but they wear very quickly. Trying out Specialized Nimbus now, so far...very happy with them.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsdad
    I've been commuting on my Santa Cruz Nomad mountain bike lately and the full suspension and 2.35 knobs are really taking their toll. I'd like to get a true skinny tire commuter, but don't have the funds right now and am thinking about trying out my Schwinn Cruiser 6 circa 1998. It's in incredible shape and rides like a dream, but still has the original white wall tires. Since I need to replace the tires anyway I thought I'd see if there are any good commuter tires for cruiser bikes. I'd like something that is tough and rolls fast.
    Any suggestions?
    Double check the sizing of the tires on the Schwinn. They may not be 559mm (standard) 26 in tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabpn
    Double check the sizing of the tires on the Schwinn. They may not be 559mm (standard) 26 in tires.
    Yeah, do some cruisers use the old 27" tire standard?