Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commuter Tools

Just Ride!

Commuter Tools

There are just certain tools a commuter really needs, but it seems that the ideal items are hard to find. In particular, I am looking for the perfect 15mm wrench, but am not really finding what I want available in the states. Perhaps a Portland Design Works, Surly Jethro, or even Eighthinch brand would work, but not ideal.

I have found this Super B floating around, but no stateside outlets yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commuter Tools-capcfwce.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    That looks hard on the hands. How about a Campy "peanut butter" wrench?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I carry this one with me. Funny thing is I used the bottle opener before I ever used the wench.

http://www.lezyne.com/products/tire-repaire/tire-levers

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Why do you need to carry a 15mm wrench with you?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway
    axle nuts.

I just carry a small crescent &a CB-17 Multi tool -I can pretty much dismantle the whole bike with that. (of course patchkit, zipties etc)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ x2. Small crescent, Topeak Alien II multitool, tire levers, a few zip ties, a spare tube, some glueless patches and a master link. I would ride across the country with this toolkit.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I didn't see this one listed;

http://www.pedros.com/trixie.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Like he said, axle nuts. I'm currently I'm using my 29er SS to "commute". I have a Giant Seek coming at the end of the week, and my life should get easier. :-) The 29x2.2 UST tires can be tough to huff when you're hauling a kid trailer with 80 pounds of cargo. .

Sorry I got off subject, but now ramble now and then.. I also carry a bunch of tools, tubes, full size floor pump....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Makes sense. On my 29er SS Mt. Bike, I just carry a small crescent wrench.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinaz
    I also carry a bunch of tools, tubes, full size floor pump....
    You could just throw a 19 pound road bike in the trailer and save yourself some weight.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    You could just throw a 19 pound road bike in the trailer and save yourself some weight.
    Great idea. Now where do I put the kids? :-)

Just Ride!
    As others have mentioned, axle nuts. A thief can undo a skewer fairly quickly, but may not carry a 15mm wrench.

weirdo

Perfect wrench

Does anybody else here feel a need for a wrench that the ones mentioned already don`t meet? The Pedros looks a lot like the Super B to me, other than the fact that it doesn`t have as much "meat" contacting the flats. Personally, I think that either Campy wrench (if it`s available) or the slick looking PDW wrench/tire lever combo would be about the most practical designs possible, but my opinion differs often from what`s "normal". I made my own wrench for the axle nuts on my Nexus hub a couple years ago- went a little fat so it`d be easier on my hands as MtbX brought up.. Also an 8mm box end for fender adjustments and for the straddle hanger on my cantis. l`ll try to find them in the morning and take pictures. I wonder if it would be worth trying to sell something similar.

Kustoms, what is it that you don`t like about the other designs? How much would you be willing to pay for your interpretation of perfection? Since I don`t follow SS or fixie discussions, are there a lot of people scrambling for cool axle nut wrenches?

Just Ride!
    I like the Super B for the two holes to mount on water bottle spacing. If it had an 8 and 10mm open end next to the 15mm, it would work well for me. Not only do I carry need an 8mm for the fenders, but also run chain tensioners that require a 10mm. I have modified the picture to show my dream wrench.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commuter Tools-capcfwcemod.jpg  

Fat-tired Roadie
    Starting to remind me of a stagehand's tool.

I also have a little Crescent wrench riding around in my tool kit, but I can see why you'd want something specialized - I bet it could save a lot of weight if you didn't need an adjustable jaw, and if your loads are small enough for that to matter... then it matters.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Kustoms, what`s the spanner hook fit? If the bottle boss holes are the only thing missing from the Pedros, why don`t you just drill some? And would you really trust wing nuts not to vibrate off? Undoubtedly while riding across a lawn, so you don`t hear anything drop, and don`t notice until you need the wrench

Axle nut wrench (2mm and 1/16 304 stainless) and 8mm/10mm box end wrench (allen bolt heads and an unmeasured slab sawed off the end of a mild steel bar). I don`t remember why I put the 10mm end on there- probably just felt like a waste to leave one end "blank".
    Axle wrench: 81g
    6 in Craftsman adjustable: 114g
    8/10 box end: 19g
    8mm Craftsman combo: 28g
    10mm Craftsman combo: 44g
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commuter Tools-dscn0769.jpg  

Commuter Tools-dscn0770.jpg  

weirdo

Other wrench styles

36mm headset wrench made from 1/4 303 stainless, 144g. The same thing in aluminum might make a good axle nut wrench as long as it didn`t get used a whole lot. It would probably wear in a hurry if you had a flip-flop wheel or something, but should last ages if only used for fixing flats on the road.

14mm cone wrench, 4mm and 1/16 304. 30g, Easiest construction method after just plain cutting out from flat stock, like the headset wrench. Follow the dotted line on flat stock is how I usually do cone or headset wrenches, but I was bored when I made this one

6" Craftsman back again for size perspective.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commuter Tools-dscn0773.jpg  

psycho cyclo addict

Fat-tired Roadie
    Hey rodar,
    Do you know if a CNC machine can handle working in steel? (Well, I guess I know they can 'cuz SRAM's fanciest cassette is steel and comes out of one...)

So maybe this is a better question... Can the CNC machines common to local machine shops handle working in steel? Seems like if you and kustomz can work out the ultimate commute wrench, you might knock out 100 of them and see if people want to buy them.

weirdo
    Yeah, as far as I know, any material that can be machined "manually" can also be CNCd. The only catch is that in order to get a tight radius on the inside corners of the wrench flats it would have to be with a very tiny endmill, which means slow going and/or using up a lot of cutters. Somebody who`s more up on that could likely work out a way to do it, though. Maybe stamp or broach the wrench flats after CNCing the main body? Wish I knew more about CNC- I just use a drill and file for that stuff, which definitely isn`t the most efficient way to go about it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, water jet might be the way to go. I`ve never ordered any, but I hear it`s fairly inexpensive to have done.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm going to be starting some engineering classes at a new school next quarter, and one of the things I'm excited about is access to their ridiculously well-equipped machine shop. I'm wondering if I can pay my tuition selling silly chain rings to hipsters. But a few projects like a wrench and a stylish chain ring seem like they could be really good projects for learning to use the machines.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Kustoms, what`s the spanner hook fit?
    Fixed gear lock ring

weirdo
    The question about CNC and my subsequent thoughts pretty much took the wind out of my sails. By my fabrication methods, it takes me so long to do anything that I`d have to charge crazy high prices to make it worth my trouble. On the other hand, if Kustoms (or anybody else) really gets the bug, it might very well be worth taking the time to draw up something like that and call around to places that do water-jet or CNC to find out what a run would cost. Those other companies selling fancy wrenches probably outsource the fabrication too, at least the smaller companies. Marketing and distribution are the hard parts- fabrication is easy. In fact, if somebody just wanted one piece, a hacksaw and file really isn`t a bad way to do it- just not feasible for quantities.

Andrew, I hope you enjoy that course. Being as you`re already excited about it, I bet you`ll have a ball when you get in there! Your mention of "stylish chainrings" reminds me of a project I had to give up on, maybe you can make it work. I wanted to cut out a Rudge hand guard to bolt over the single CR on my Nexus bike. Would have been killer! Except I couldn`t find a way to keep the hand identifiable after removing enough material from the middle for the modern crank arm to pass through . Probably needs to be a cottered set.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm not familiar with a Rudge hand guard. Is that one of those chain guards that sits above and outboard of the crank, but bolts to the frame? I was thinking those would be really great on a commuter bike for people who don't want to dress up as cyclists when they ride it, but it did seem problematic on a multispeed bicycle.

weirdo
    Unless you knew what it was, my description wouldn`t make a lot of sense. Not a hand guard- should have said a "Rudge hand" chain guard (for pants).

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...w=1252&bih=858

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast