Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004

Commuter SS advice

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a cheap commuter SS. But I am torn between the Motobecane Outcast 29er and the Mercier Kilo TT. The Outcast would be more versitile, but i don't think i would use it in the dirt, since i already have a Fisher Paragon(and honestly the components aren't quite strong enough for a 6'4 clyde to be bashing on the dirt). And if I did get the Outcast, first thing I would do is swap the Kendas for some slicks. On the other hand, the Kilo is ready to go once I add a front brake, which I already have. Not to mention having a Fixie is just plain cool.

Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004
    forgot to mention they are both the same price, 349 shipped

No-Brakes Cougar
    I might be more inclined to go with the Outcast myself. Probably would be fine on light trails, but I wouldn't push it too hard off-road. The Outcast is just running track hubs and many owners have reported that they blow out pretty fast with heavy duty off-road use.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Ovaries on the Outside
    If you already have a 29er, get the Kilo. I think it is good to have different bikes in the stable- it keeps all the others feeling fun and fresh.

mtbr member
    If you have zero interest in trail riding and your roads are maintained pretty well (no 3 foot deep potholes, etc), I would suggest a track bike too (Kilo). I ride a 29er on the road, but I also do a bunch of trail riding too. I used to have a simple fixed road bike for CC duties and it was much lighter and faster on pavement due to weight and geometry.

That said- for my riding style I wouldnt trade my 9er for the world.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Depends on where you live, what sort of whether you will ride in ...

Assuming it suits for where you live, get the fixie - just cos its plain cool and if you don't like it then you can flog off your wheel to some tight jeans kid and get a freewheel rear wheel for less.

Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004
    another choice keeping popping in my mind too, for another 50 bucks i can get the Motobecane cross SS, best of both worlds? How well do those cycocross tires roll on the street?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How big are you, bigmike?

Them little track/roadie bikes with the 23c tires are for 160# dudes, IMO. And they can really suck on less than ideal surfaces.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cross bikes are great for commuting, but all those tiny little knobs wear off super fast. Fortunately, most cross bikes can fit up to 40mm slicks. I run 35mm T-servs and 32mm Urban Maxs on my cross bike. Very tough and fast.

Off the back...
    I vote Kilo, since you already have an off-road bike. I wouldn't worry too much about the tires. If they die early, replace them with some 25C or 28C rubber. 23C tires aren't just for 160 lb racers. Fully loaded I'm around 200 and have never had a problem. They do fine under 225+ guys too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    how far do you commute? more than 10 miles? any hills in there? your two choices are limited not just by being singlespeed bikes but by geometry the 9er mountain bike is really designed for that mountain riding. oh then there is the cheap track bike almost the opposite in the SS world crazy tight geometry. I would test ride a few bikes before settling on a good commute bike I have a steel road bike with pretty slack geometry oh and gears but my commute is 20+ miles and I go over some big ass hills. I would not let price or fashion dictate what bike you get for commuting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Motobecane UNO for only $50 more is a good compromise.