mtbr member
    May 2007

commuter rain pants

Hi all,

After my post about the fender fix (thanks for the solutions) I've realized that I still need some kind of rain pants and jacket. As far as pants go, I'd like something that I could wear of my khaki work pants. Does anyone have any recommendations? Hopefully reasonably priced. thanks!

No, that's not phonetic
    Most all the inexpensive waterproof/breathable laminates today will do a decent job. Marmot Precip, REI Elements, etc. Most can be had for around $100 or under. They tend to be thin and not last for ever though, especially in high friction areas like where you sit on the saddle. That is where more dedicated riding-specific pants are nice like the Gore bike wear (which also cost more).

Try a few styles on. Some are baggy, some don't bend at the knee well, some don't fit over street clothes well, etc. It is a personal thing, so try them on.

I have used the REI Novara pants with decent results:

http://www.rei.com/product/724558
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    I use the cheapo performance rain pants (25$ or so). They arent breathable, and probably not suitable for 100 mile rides, but they work great for commuting. They keep the rain off of me and fit over my regular clothing. They fit tight so be sure to get a couple sizes larger than normal.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    + for the Novara