mtbr member

Commuter Pannier Help

I'm looking for a inexpensive pannier for my commute, maybe the $30 range. Right now I use a backpack, but my back is starting to hurt. Originally I was thinking of a grocery pannier that I could just throw my backpack in and be off. I'm also thinking of the possibility of a bag. I would need to fit work clothes, shoes, towel; (wallet, keys, etc - I'd like to keep in a seperate pocket). Not sure how big I need to go, as I'm unsure of the current cubic inches I use. Any suggestions/help is appreciated.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Drive

2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    2010 Bottecchia RS290 Cross

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a Topeak MTX EXP bag. It has expandable side panniers and I can carry my towels, wallet, Eagle Creek clothes folder and laptop. It is awesome.

ONe less gear
    I roll Detours Toocan hard bottom grocery style panniers. I definitely recommend panniers over backpacking. My bags are a little heavy, but I like to load them down with food (fuel).

weirdo
    I think people tend to overcomplicate the search for perfect equipment- as long as it fits whatever you need to carry and mounts securely on your bike you`ll be fine. Any kind of bike-mounted carrier is much more comfortable than a backpack, IMO. In my case, I usually just use an insulated lunchbox that mounts to my front rack with a home made QR. Ain`t very big, but I normally only carry a lock and sandwiches. Every two or three weeks I bring in a 12-pack of soda bungie corded into a rear basket.

mtbr member
    I have some Axiom Champlain panniers, don't use them much but have carried my bike tool box and laptop in them at the same time.
    I have an Axiom Cortez rack bag with fold out panniers, it's on my commuter bike all the time, the bag is big enough for most stuff and is great for this time of year when I wear jackets and pants in the morning and ride home in shorts in the evening.
    I also use a messenger bag - this allows me to ride whatever bike I want and is way more comfortable than a backpack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm planning on doing quite a few miles in the rain (~25/day) so I'm in the market for a really good waterproof pannier. I'm looking at the dry-bag style vinyl bags with the roll-top closure. I've seen the Ortlieb bags but they are pretty pricey. Does anyone know of similar bags that don't cost quite so much?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    your going to have a hard time finding waterproof panniers in that price range. You may have to spend a little more. I also use the Topeak mtx DXP bag. It has an amazing amount of room in it; and you can fold it away if you don't need it. Try looking at Modernbike.com they have the cheapest prices on Topeak. Its an actual store in Iowa and they ship very quickly. you may also want to look for Sunlite products on E-bay.