jl
    climb

Commuter Light Alternative--The Torch (TangsFire)

I've been doing more commuting this year than in the years past. One of the reasons is that I've found an easier way to deal with riding in the dark. For commuting I have a small 3-led light, but I don't like it when riding in traffic, or on paved bike trails where I'm going faster and need more light.

I do have a HID light that I've set up on my handle bars, but sometimes it is too bright when riding on paved bike trails with other bikers on the trail. Plus there is an extra battery pack to manage, cables, etc. I looked at some different options, niterider, cygolite, cateye, etc. But all the options were $60 to $90 dollars.

Then I found some LED flashlights (torches) and a cheap $2 handle bar mount, and I think I've found a solution that is a better light and more versatile than a standard commuter light.

What I like about the flashlight approach is that I can easily use the light for other purposes (camping, hiking, etc.). It also has 3 levels so you can make it dimmer for oncoming bikes and really bright when needed.

I got this TangsFire C8 light from TMART and it is a great example of what I've been using as my commuter light for the past few months. It has 5 modes H/M/L/Strobe/SOS. For under $20 you get a light that is better than most of the 'bike lights' available. There are others that are also available in other formats. I know that for commuting, I won't be using a standard light again. I'm now looking into finding a quality replacement for my HID lights for some off-road riding. Something smaller and lighter.

Here's a good illustration of the light.

Old CatEye 3-LED

TangsFire C8 Low

TangsFire C8 Medium

TangsFire C8 High

This is as brighter than some of the single LED MagicShines that I've seen. The only downside of this light is that it is an 18650 setup, and you'll need a battery and a charger for this, but that's relatively cheap for the ease of use.

Ride On!

blet drive
    looks awsome
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    TwoFish makes some pretty solid flashlight mounts, if you ever find yours lacking. They use Velcro instead of they ubiquitous rubber bands, much sturdier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Try deal extreme. $32.00 for a 4 pack batteries (18650) with charger, light and bar/helmet fixtures, running great for 4 months now. 1200( est) lumens and 3 levels plus strobe.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    great
    Is the first time I heard tmart

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ditto. I've been using torches for the past year or so. Had one that would change modes on every bump so I moved it to a helmet mount. It is nice to be able to use the lights for camping etc.

mtbr member

I'm currently using a flashlight as my headlight. I'll be switching over soon, but I still keep several lights on me for my rides.

jl
    climb
    I'm amazed at how bright some of these lights are in such a small size. I've even strapped them on my helmet with rubber-bands and been impressed by the quality of the light output.
    Ride On!

Cycle Psycho

18650 cells

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I'm currently using a flashlight as my headlight. I'll be switching over soon, but I still keep several lights on me for my rides.
    I use flashlights and "P-Clamps" which are a 50 and very secure mount. Huge 18650 Li-Ion cells and awesome modes make this el-cheapo "Gat-Light" really the best lighting set up I've ever had, and I've burned through a whole bunch. No shadows from the front tire or shifter cables and the fender keeps it clean. Hop curbs and it doesn't budge:

'10 Rocky Mountain Metropolis (rigid 2x10)
    '10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Ogre (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Troll (rigid 2x10)

jl
    climb
    Gritter,

Any other pics on you setup. I have a basket on my commuter, and I like the idea of doing a more light on the bottom of the basket. So things in the basket don't interfere with the light.
    Ride On!

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    Gritter,

Any other pics on you setup. I have a basket on my commuter, and I like the idea of doing a more light on the bottom of the basket. So things in the basket don't interfere with the light.
    A couple more views, it's all completely under the top of the rack. I put a bag/basket on top with no interference:

'10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)

mtbr member

What light is that? I remember you posting a link to it some time ago, but I can't remember the thread.

blet drive
    sick light under the rack
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    I assume it is this one:

The Titanium and Carbon Fibre Gatling Pocket Flashlight

A bit pricey, and newer LEDs have more output, but the all titanium is gorgeous.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I assume it is this one:

The Titanium and Carbon Fibre Gatling Pocket Flashlight

A bit pricey, and newer LEDs have more output, but the all titanium is gorgeous.
    Mine is the $30 Chinese Knock-Off version of that crazy Gat-Light. Mine is Stainless instead of Ti, which is still really good in the elements, just a little heavier, but the lightweight Li-Ion makes up for that. I love the super-fast/crazy-bright strobe for daytime, it's really good. (Images taken from here: Review: UltraFire XG-V3 (1x18650) | BudgetLightForum.com)

Commuter Light Alternative--The Torch (TangsFire)-2012-12-04_22-58-28_994.jpg

Commuter Light Alternative--The Torch (TangsFire)-2012-12-04_22-59-18_490.jpg

Commuter Light Alternative--The Torch (TangsFire)-2012-12-05_17-47-12_692.jpg

Commuter Light Alternative--The Torch (TangsFire)-2012-12-04_21-56-02_604.jpg

Commuter Light Alternative--The Torch (TangsFire)-2012-12-04_21-57-40_924.jpg

Commuter Light Alternative--The Torch (TangsFire)-2012-12-05_00-13-12_563.jpg

Commuter Light Alternative--The Torch (TangsFire)-2012-12-06_20-38-05_237.jpg

This is the now defunct GatLight: gatlight.com

The cheap one is known as the UltraFire XG-V3 and UniqueFire UF-F8.

Don't buy the overpriced "Orbita LightHouse Stainless Steel Flashlight", for over twice the price.

'10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)