Reflective/visible
    Waterproof
    Breathable
    Some have that nifty button up/down tail
    Most of all: Windproof
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just got an older Louis Garneau jacket that has almost everything you listed. Its not highly compactable, but it has pit zips! Found it on ebay for $30! Works like a champ.

mtbr member
    Expensive but nice.

http://www.rapha.cc/wind-jacket/

nocturnal oblivion
    ^^^And I just shaved my 'stache too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nashbar Essential Jacket $30.
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...7_10000_202487

Has everything you need and is cheap as well. I've been using mine for a couple of years now and am happy with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Great suggestion by tanen but I use and highly recommend Performance's Illuminite Commuter jacket. I scooped it up for 70.00 and it's been worth every penny. It came in red, blue and Hi-Vis yellow. I don't see it on the website right now so hopefully they haven't discontinued it.

nocturnal oblivion
    I've been somewhat shocked to see that many of these jackets at REI average over $100, even the REI branded one. I'd assume that in order to get the breathability factor that jump must be made: from a $30 jacket to a $100 one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You sir, are correct in your observations. However, if you really dig around the internet sites like Ebay, you could score a very nice jacket without paying the retail price. Jag410's find is good testament.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Here in the wet northwest, Showers Pass is a popular choice. I like the Double Century because it's lightweight, but at the same time it has good waterproof and breathability characteristics. If you ever go to a randonneur event, you'll see Showers Pass jackets everywhere. Expensive, but if you ride a lot, worth it. I've got three years and hundreds of rides on my Double Century and it's still going strong.

www.showerspass.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by abmtnbkr
    You sir, are correct in your observations. However, if you really dig around the internet sites like Ebay, you could score a very nice jacket without paying the retail price. Jag410's find is good testament.
    Mine still had the tags with it, it was a $120 jacket when new. There are plenty of cycling jackets on ebay, but also check craigslist, local bike swaps, and various bike forums. Chainlove and bonktown have deals too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here in the not-quite-super-wet Northeast, I love my Gore Cross jacket. The Paclite material is fantastically wind and waterproof, but without zips is not terribly breathable. As its name suggests, it packs down so small that I leave it in my pannier literally every day - rain/sun/etc. I'll opt for a windproof/breathable jacket or vest most of the time, but on days when it's raining and <45f, I loooove this jacket.

That said, I don't wear a rain jacket every day - so in the last year of ownership, I've only worn it maybe 30 or 40 days. Durability seems good, but no can say.

I also owned an older Nashbar Premium Rain jacket - it fit like a trash bag, and felt like some seriously old technology - like a CB sports ski jacket from the 70's, or the team-issued warmup jackets from my high school track team. The mesh netting on the inside catches on your hands/jersey when you put it on...ugh. I bought one and wore it roughly ZERO times before sending it back.