mtbr member

Commuter IGH Bikes

I was wondering if any of my commuter bros use or have any experience with IGH bikes. With weather here in UT i was looking at this option but ive never ridden or dealt with an IGH equipped bike.

Alfine 8 or 11?
    Is the hub "drag" really that noticeable?
    Reliability
    belt drive or chain

Imma go do some research in the igh forum but i wanted to hear 1st hand xperiance from you guys.
    I was looking at Giant seek, Norco Indie, Miseo 4 etc.

blet drive
    They can work ok
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

weirdo
    I used a Nexus 8 for a couple years- post 34 in the "Post Your Commuter" sticky. I liked it pretty well for commuting and short grocery runs, gave it up when I started wanting more from the bike. Now kind of wish I had kept it for that purpose. I`m sure it was less efficient than a derailler system, but not to a huge extent, and not easy to measure. I read a lot of complaints about it being a PITA to remove the rear wheel, but honestly I don`t know how anybody found it hard- for me, it was pretty much equal to removing the rear wheel on a derailled bike.
    Plusses, according to RyR:
    Neat-o. Easy to keep chain oil off your pants beacuse it`s easy to guard and it doesn`t need much oiling (applies to SS also, I`m sure). Shifting when stopped is a much nicer bennie than you would think. Different, fun, and well... neat-o.

Minuses (says me):
    Heavy. Less gear range than my 3 x 8 bikes. If something DOES go wrong (didn`t happen to me), you`re screwed.
    Recalculating....

blet drive
    yes when it goes wrong it goes Wrong
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member

Commuter IGH Bikes

I have a custom built commuter bike made by True North Cycles (free advertising to a great builder here in Canada) and it uses an Alfine 8 speed in rear. I love the simplicity and maintenance of it. There are a couple of decent hills on my route and the 8 speed is more than enough gear range to tackle that. I don't notice any drag compared to my other non IGH bikes. It really is a clean and maintenance-free setup, the wheel is not hard to remove and it really is a great setup for foul conditions. I've had no issues in the last 1.5yrs w it.

mtbr member
    Riding to work in the snow today really got me thinking bout one of these. lol

Im really digging this scott sub 10. alfine 8, carbon belt, hydros , decent weight But that paint job screams steal me. too bad it isnt all black or any other matt color

Name:  sub1-453x340.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  59.6 KB

I know these bikes weight more but my hardrock is pushing 40lbs commutered out. Stripped i think its still in the 34lbs+ range. Hoping to find something a bit lighter 25-30ish lbs. I was originally looking at a specialized awol but was bummed when it came in at 33lbs.