mtbr member

commuter gears??? can i put a road cassette with an XT der?

Considering buying a hybrid/flat bar road commuter. Its got 700c tires, the crankset is a triple with road gears, but its got a 9spd rear (11-32) with an XT dérailleur. I am just considering if I am limiting myself by buying this bike... it will be my first commuter and I am not sure how I will want it set up, as I will be figuring this out as I go.

Can I use a 9spd ultegra road cassette with the XT dérailleur?? What cage length would I need if I switch to 12-26 rear?

Also, if its not possible to use the same XT derailleur, is an ultegra or 105 rear derailleur compatible with XT shifters??

Thanks.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Actually you are not....

"limiting" yourself at all. This is a common set up for touring. You'll actually have a hair more top end with the 11t cog in the rear than you would have with the 12t of a road cassette. And you'll also have a wider range of gear options all the way up to the 32t granny as opposed to the 26t on the road cluster. There will be a bit more difference between one gear and another on the mtb cassette (road clusters are geared very closely together), but unless you are into maintaining an exact cadance this isn't going to be an issue. Cadance is very important to a racer or a serious road rider. But not so much to a commuter or some one touring where the bike is likely to be expecetd to handle loads. The mtb rear derailluer and shifters will actually make the bike more versitile.

What I would do is give it a try the way it's speced. I think you'll be surprised.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

ONe less gear

that's what I got.

I currently run 700c x 23 on XT f/r (btw the shadow rear der. is the best) deraileurs and a 11-32 rear XT cassette. I have the hollowtech XT cranks as well. It works for me really nice. I was wanting to go with the 48t instead of the 46t chainring. Is there a bigger chainring I can run on a normal mtb like a 52t or something?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash

What I would do is give it a try the way it's speced. I think you'll be surprised.
    Thats the plan.... but I just want to know what options are out there if I decide I need something different later on.

jrm
    mtbr member

Thats what im running..

Quote Originally Posted by Urnicus
    Considering buying a hybrid/flat bar road commuter. Its got 700c tires, the crankset is a triple with road gears, but its got a 9spd rear (11-32) with an XT dérailleur. I am just considering if I am limiting myself by buying this bike... it will be my first commuter and I am not sure how I will want it set up, as I will be figuring this out as I go.

Can I use a 9spd ultegra road cassette with the XT dérailleur?? What cage length would I need if I switch to 12-26 rear?

Also, if its not possible to use the same XT derailleur, is an ultegra or 105 rear derailleur compatible with XT shifters??

Thanks.....
    M760 short cage RD with shimano STI shifters and a 12-27 ultegra cassette. Works great..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The XT will work with the 12-26. If you think about it, the 11-32 has a 12 and a 28 in it so the XT derailleur will be fine with those cog sizes without any chain length adjustment. Any rear derailleur except for the SRAM esp models which have a different pull ratio than the Shimano will work with the XT shifters because they will move the right amount with each shift and all road and mountain bike 9 speed cassettes have the same cog spacings. But you won't have to change from the XT since it will work and you can change the cassette to whatever 9 speed combination you want.

I've started commuting (occasionally) and ride a hardtail MTB built up like a cross bike with drop bars. I run an XT short cage on this bike with an 11-32 cassette and I like the range it gives me. I have run a 12-26 on this bike with another older MTB derailleur (can't remember the model, maybe an STX) and it worked great.

JT