mtbr member

Commuter bike to play on

Someone started this thread in the Urban/DJ/Park forum here that is relevant to this forum.
    DJ that can be ridden for travel/commuting?
    I personally would like to know if anyone here has some guidance. My absolute favorite bike of all time was my Sinister DNA. It is dirtjump bike that I used to go all over in (short distances) in college, and the for longer commutes (5 miles one-way) while I was living in London, and later 2.5 mile commutes while I was back in California until it got stolen.

I'm now on the market for a new bike for my 11 mile commute to work (one way). I've never ridden a road bike before and I was getting ready to bite the bullet and get a cyclocross bike for this long commute, but every time I think about how much fun I had on that DJ bike, I feel reluctant to buy something that won't have any of the playfulness I loved so much. I wanted to see if anyone here could offer some advice for me. I don't want my commute to take longer than an hour, but I also want to build a city commuter that can have some fun. Is that just unrealistic?

My beloved Sinister DNA, I miss you buddy

mtbr member
    I am a former bmxer, now commute on a steamroller, its alot of fun. With a riser bar I can bunny hop curbs and what not. I dont think it would much fun at all to commute 11 miles one way or even round trip on a DJ style mountain bike personally.

mtbr member
    I wasn't really considering getting a DJ style bike, just something that can be playful with the right setup but also quick and efficient when spec'd that way. I'm looking for a frame that feels right whether it has skinny slicks, a rigid fork, and drop bars as well as when it has little travel in the fork, heavier tires, and riser/flat bars.

I think a Salsa El Mariachi is at the top of my list right now. It has disk brake mounts, is compatible with suspension forks and rigid, easily suited to gears or SS, rack mounts, it sounds like a pretty solid commuter to me, and very versatile.

followed by the Fargo and the Surly Troll. I was also looking at Niner bikes and Moots (f I was going to really splurge)

Also, Thanks for the input, I was starting to wonder if I had said something offensive.

mtbr member
    I hear where you are coming from. I wanted something a little more fun than a straight commuter bike. There is a dirt loop about a mile out of the way of my ride home. Adds about 5 miles to the ride.

I picked up a cyclocross recently. Been great; fast enough on the road, fun enough on the dirt. Plus, I have a bike to race next CX season. I was riding my SS MTB but it made the commute not very enjoyable.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

mtbr member
    I'll be an advocate for a big set of Big Apples. I've got the 2.35s on an old rigid steel mtb, and that bike just makes me happy. They're heavy for a slick, but they roll amazingly well, and they're just so much fun.

A dj bike's geometry is probably too far off to ever make a good commuter, but they'd be great on a troll or fargo.