mtbr member
    Jan 2011

which commuter bike?

Hi All,

I have been cycling to work on and off for a couple of years now, previously using mountain bikes for the 4 mile commute, there is one very hilly section and a very large hill over about a 2 mile distance there other smaller hill en-route too.

so I`m going to be taking it up again and was think of getting the best bike for the job, Iv looked at Road and hybrid bikes but would appreciate some suggestions from you guys?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    sorry I posted into the wrong forum should be in general sorry

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been commuting by bike for a few years now, anywhere between 12 and 30 miles per day. I started out on a hybrid (Trek FX 7.3), moved to a road bike (Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Sora) and occasionally use my MTB (Specialized Rockhopper 29) on rare occasions.
    The hybrid was the most versatile and pretty comfortable. It allowed easy installation of fenders and a rack with MTX rail (for MTX saddle bags).
    The road bike is my favorite. It is the fasted, obviously.
    I use the MTB only when there is snow or ice out. It is the slowest of the bunch but pretty fun.
    The hills you mention will pose the same challenge to you no matter what bike you are on.

It really should be here instead of General, even.

Commuting

You'll find a lot of opinions on this. You're going to have to get onto a bunch of bikes just to narrow down the TYPE of bike you want to commute on.

At 4 miles, you can go with just about anything and you will be hard pressed to measure large time differences it takes to get where you need to go with the proper setup. Depending on where you are, you may not even build up much of a sweat part of the year. I had a commute about that distance in TX and it was even tolerable in the dead of summer with 110F afternoon temps, and mornings already above 90 with so much humidity it's foggy.

I like a road bike that can fit fatter tires for a more comfortable ride. I'm not racing anyone, so I have no intention of riding 23mm tires. I also want rack and fender mounts. I'm not too picky about handlebars, but drops are nice for helping you get low in a headwind.

Moderator Moderator
    I see by your profile you're in Derby, but I expect that is not Derby VT an hour or two north of me. England? I ask because the weather you will be commuting in makes a difference in what bikes will work for you.

Since 4 miles is not too far, I would be more concerned with comfort, fun and versatility than speed. For example do you want the bike to also serve for trail rides or road rides, or just for commuting?

Since you have mountain biked the route off and on, I would just make sure the new bike has as low a gear as you typically like to climb that hill. For day in day out commuting, I'm not a fan of pushing high gears. Also, save some of your budget for commuting essentials, lights, helmet, something to carry stuff, tools, etc.

weirdo
    It looks like the other guys already pretty much covered it. Not much left to say except...
    Welcome.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I ride a hybrid. Been thinking about trying a cyclocross bike with street tires. It may be faster. I need to keep my tide time down to keep from being pressured by my better half to take the car.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What about a cargo bike like a Big Dummy or Yuba Mundo? Plenty of room to pack work clothes, laptop, etc without getting a sweaty back. Plus the versatility of picking up stuff on the way home (groceries, another bike, the usual). If I had only a 4 mile commute, I would take my cargo bike.

I'd rather be on my bike
    For a 4 mile commute, half of which appears to be a hill, you need something that will get the climb done. If it is all road, you are wide open as to a hybrid, road, CX or even a mountain bike. What kind of a bike do you want? As long as you don't take a road bike on an mtb trail, there is no wrong bike for this commute I don't think.

I know that my bike is not an optimal commuter for some people, those who are riding in the snow in Alaska, or 20+ miles on dirt roads, etc. but it works for me. That is what you have to decide. What will work for you? Is it something you already have that you can modify, or do you want to purchase it new and start fresh?
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1879/2500

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You'll find we all commute on different things, whatever you get needs to have fender mounts unless you plan to only ride when its nice out. Rack mounts are pretty critical too.

Test out a few of each type and pick whatever works best for you, there's really not a "wrong" answer.