mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Commute Turns Tragic in Chicago

Link to two incidents in the last day involving cyclists here in Chicago. For a telling snapshot of the current attitudes surrounding cyclists here, be sure to slog through the comments. There are some real jaw dropping comments by bikers and drivers both.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1344357.story
    http://www.topix.net/forum/source/ch...R7BKQL4124U3UM

Be safe out there!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    R.I.P.

Could happen to any of us too, makes you think.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by scatteredshadows
    ...For a telling snapshot of the current attitudes surrounding cyclists here, be sure to slog through the comments. ...Be safe out there!
    I read the comments and was shocked...thanks for letting me know how hostile some driver are. I changed my route today so I could avoid more cars. It's really bad out there

Made in Canada
    Absolutely unbelievable. It's bad enough the situation ended the way it did but the comments of some just blow me away. The mentality of some people... this is one of the most ignorant/shocking quotes I came by, especially in the light of the death of a person.

"Here is the perfect solution:

Require ALL bikes to ride on the sidewalk, and have the rider get off his/her bike at EVERY crosswalk and wait for the light, then walk across the street.

Also, REQUIRE all bikes to have a siren or other noise-maker to alert pedestrians to their upcoming arrival.

Sure, it will take some time to get used to, and maybe 1 or 2 whiny bikeriders will gripe and moan, but I will GUARANTEE that there will be no more fatalities, and that is what everyone wants."

No more fatalities? Hmm....

Also this one:

"I still say that the roads here in America are not designed for bikes - they were designed for cars. Now you want to put bike lanes in the parking lanes and it is not working. This is not China - our roads are designed for faster speeds. Too bad that does not register with the planners of this city. Some jerk wants to ride and nothing else is considered. It is a bad plan to have bikers on the crowded city streets. You are making victims on both sides!"

Anyways I'm not going to get into this, its truly a tragedy...
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I feel for this guy and his family. I also feel for the guy who clipped him, I'm sure he didn't intend to take someone out and now has to deal with having inadvertently killed someone as a result of a common mistake.

This incident highlights one of the most dangerous situations in cycling, though. When you're trying to let people pass by staying to the right (or if the bike lane puts you in that spot) you are incredibly vulnerable if there is street parking. As we can see the door situation is a constant hazard, and depending on how narrow the street is the cyclist usually can't really do anything to avoid it without veering into traffic. Another big hazard if there are parked SUV's is that people turning onto your street just can't see you behind the SUV. You just kind of pop out of nowhere as their trying to make the turn. Another one with people turning is that they tend to block bike lanes and leave you no chance of swerving around them. The only time I've really yelled at a driver it was because he started to turn and then suddenly stopped with his car straddling the bike lane right in my way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It doesn't really occur to drivers, especially in suburbia, that driving is NOT a right. Before there were cars, there were bicycles, and horses before that...oh, what's the use? I'm preaching to the choir. I do have to say that when my driving coworkers and friends complain about bikers, I usually can understand because so many ride like idiots, without a helmet, against one-way traffic, on the sidewalks, etc. But it seems like this guy was doing everything right and still paid the ultimate price.

This isn't just about taking responsibility to oneself. I ride to take responsibility for my share of CO2 emissions; this is about people making responsible decisions with the collective in mind.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by jepilot
    It doesn't really occur to drivers, especially in suburbia, that driving is NOT a right....I ride to take responsibility for my share of CO2 emissions; this is about people making responsible decisions with the collective in mind.
    No, it doesn't occur to them. They've bought a hybrid car, they recycle. Us bikers are just interferring with their lifestyles and making them feel guilty.

Nothing make me feel more smug then being cut off by a Prius