mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Coffee in your water bottle?

Just wondering if hot beverage makes it's way into anyone elses bottle during the early morning commute?

I was using plastic for a little while, but the bottle would turn to mushy-plastic consistency.. I switched to a stainless canister, but the screw top lid won't vent the steam and it makes for a nice little 125-degree explosion when I attempt to drink..

Obviously, a stop at the cafe would make sense, or whatever, but I live in the sticks, work in the sticks and have to rely on my home coffee maker.

Thanks for your ideas...
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

That's rough. I wouldn't want to put hot coffee into a plastic container and you summarize nicely the problems with using a stainless bottle on the bike.

To be honest, I'd probably make a cup for drinking at home and then make more at the office when I got there.

My favorite travel mug keeps my coffee too hot to drink for close to an hour, so I don't think I'd be using it on the bike, even if it did have an opening at the top that sealed it from leaking on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Small thermos with a pour spout. Pedal with the top cap off .

mtbr member
    My commute isn't long enough for it to be an issue, but what about a cupholder with a vented mug?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Small thermos with a pour spout. Pedal with the top cap off .
    Been looking for a thermos that fits into the cage.

Probably would have been more detailed in my op had I mentioned I commute 8 miles to work at 5am. This week it's been dark, and I live near the coast so it's been foggy. It's amazing what a few sips of coffee does for the ride in.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Been looking for a thermos that fits into the cage.

Probably would have been more detailed in my op had I mentioned I commute 8 miles to work at 5am. This week it's been dark, and I live near the coast so it's been foggy. It's amazing what a few sips of coffee does for the ride in.
    Contigo makes a commuter cup that fits in a cage. I've been using both a 12oz and 20oz version for the party two years. If you go that route the raw ss versions seem to hold up Better than the colored ones.
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    OXO Soft Works LiquiSeal? Travel Mug - Blue (13.... : Target

That fits into my water bottle cage pretty well.

mtbr member

Coffee in your water bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post
    Contigo makes a commuter cup that fits in a cage. I've been using both a 12oz and 20oz version for the party two years. If you go that route the raw ss versions seem to hold up Better than the colored ones.
    Second this LOVE my Contigo mugs!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm doing this. Thanks x 1million

VENI VEDI BIKI
    iced coffee in water bottle
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I use this everyday for nearly 2 years now. Amazon.com: Innate Gear Kaze Vacuum Bottle, Stainless, 13.5 oz: Sports & Outdoors
    It keeps coffee hot for hours or an hour at 0F, it fits in the bottle cage, the handle comes off, it has a 1 handed push-button that can be operated while riding (I don't use the screw on cap). It's pretty much all you would need.

Just make sure that the part that comes apart for cleaning is screwed on tight or it will loosen and fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    iced coffee in water bottle
    iced coffee defeats a large part of the point for me. Good, warm, black coffee warms the soul, especially on a cold morning. Iced coffee on a cold morning - nasty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use an OXO stainless mug as shown in the pic above. I actually have 2, that way if I'm lazy and forget to wash one, or leave it at the office. It's the perfect solution and fits into most bottle cages.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

I Ride for Donuts
    Hot coffee is part of my motivation for actually stopping at work. If I was packing it with me, I might just keep going.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nissan makes a coffee mug that fits well inside a standard water bottle cage. No easy access to drink out of it, but the lid screws on so securely I trust it upside down inside my bag. Coffee still warm-ish 5+ hours later.

Checking my receipts, it shows as "Nissan Thermos Travel Tumbler with Handle - BPA Free", I got it from a website called MustLoveCoffee, but I've seen it online at least one other place.

Sometimes I have tea in it, sometimes coffee. I don't use it part of the year, but now that I'm back in college plus working full time I'll be using it 5 days a week in a futile attempt to stay awake during class!

I wouldn't recommend putting something that hot into a standard water bottle, sounds like a recipe for leaching toxic plastic into your drink.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Just wondering if hot beverage makes it's way into anyone elses bottle during the early morning commute?

I was using plastic for a little while, but the bottle would turn to mushy-plastic consistency.. I switched to a stainless canister, but the screw top lid won't vent the steam and it makes for a nice little 125-degree explosion when I attempt to drink..

Obviously, a stop at the cafe would make sense, or whatever, but I live in the sticks, work in the sticks and have to rely on my home coffee maker.

Thanks for your ideas...
    Instead of stainless , try the double insulated clear hard plastic you find at wal-..... or tar... I use my water bottle on the down tube and my coffee on the seat tube so no leaks because it is upright.But I drink two or more cups at home before my ride and my stainless mug for when I get to work I can enjoy more Joe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Welp, I needed to go by the LBS anyway, found a sudden need to fill the rear rear cage lugs all of a sudden.