mtbr member
    Oct 2008

coffee mug/cage system

I drink coffee, lots of it. The coffee at the office is **** so I prefer to bring my own cup in the morning and maybe sneak home for an afternoon brew. I am looking for a solid mug/cage system that will attach to the bike and not leak and carry at least 20 oz. I currently wrap a rubber band around my 20 oz 7-11 travel mug so that it wont bounce out of the cage. How do you get bean to work?

mtbr member
    I leave coffee mix at work. =P http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com/ or a simple handle bar mount made of 1 large hose clamp held on with a couple small ones. And its even adjustable!

I Ride for Donuts
    I have my own coffee pot at work now, but in the past I have used one of those slim-line bullet looking thermos deals...I got my rediculously overpriced one at Starbucks, but places like Target have them too now... It keeps coffee hot for at least 12 hours in freezing temperatures (I take it snowboarding too). I carried mine in my backpack, but if you shopped around you could find one that would fit in a cage, I'm sure. Then you can just leave a mug at work and never worry about spills or drippage.

This is what I have:

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had a great 16oz travel mug from starbucks but it crapped out after a year. Now I have a 12 oz travel mug from starbucks which is definitely too small. This one says more clearly handwash only, so a few too many trips through the machine (monthly, whether it needed it or not) may have done in my previous one.

One thing, I have stainless steel king bottle cages, and if the cup is just close you can bend the steel in or out to lock down the fit.

A lot of people I've seen w/ those kleen kanteen bottles just put a wool sock on them to tighten them into the bottle cage.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg

A lot of people I've seen w/ those kleen kanteen bottles just put a wool sock on them to tighten them into the bottle cage.

That's a good idea but I'm not a fan of those bottles. Nothing could possibly transfer heat into your water faster then a thin layer of stainless steel...and nothing could possibly transfer heat out of your coffee faster either.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Do you have access to boiling water at work?

If so, get a French Press and leave some good beans at work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a starbucks insulated mug that has a sealing lid. It is extremely thermally efficient and will keep coffee piping hot for about 2 hours and acceptably hot for about 4 hours. It never leaks since it forms a vacuum as the coffee starts to cool. It is the old one they used to sell with the sort of carabiner clip on the handle. After starbucks stopped selling these, Costco started carrying them. However, the metal hardware is gone and has been replaced with plastic pieces. Anyway...it holds 16 ounces and fits nicely in a bottle cage.

I also have a nice thermos I got from Starbucks...also 16 oz. It also never leaks and keeps things hot for a good 8 hours. I drop that in one of my panniers before I leave for work.

So there you go...32 ounces of yummy hot coffee every day.

mtbr member
    Zojirushi makes THE best thermal bottles. I used to make instant noodles at school for lunch and one day I forgot that I brought noodles and hot water. So the next day I checked the water and it was still steaming! I had noodles for lunch a whole 24+ hours later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Buy a nespresso machine...be the envy of you mates

small footprint, neat and tidy....makes a pretty darn nice cup, saves spilling hot coffee in yer crotch when you go over a pothole

ok so not the most econimical suggestion you're going to get

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I gave up....

hauling hot coffee to work years ago! I never found a container that didn't have some annoying flaw! So I've got a little Mr. Coffee 4 cupper at work that works great. You just have to figure your portions of grind a bit different than the 12 cupper at home. Great little appliance, fits in a desk drawer, brews up a pot in minutes, and unless you have a huge mug does about 2 full cups of coffee.

Now all I have to do is stuff a bag of my favorite grind in the rack bag about once a week or so.

Beats the heck out of trying to find a big enough thermos or other insulated container that will keep it hot, hold enough to make it worth hauling along, not leak, and still fit your bottle cages. Deffinately not easy to do.

If you have the facilities (space and an outlet), and yer boss doesn't have a corn cob up his or her butt about coffee on the job or something. I'd give the mini pot a try. You can get em a Wally World, etc. for about 10 bucks. Filters are usually extra though!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Another thing just occurred to me after reading the above post. We can't have appliances at our desks but we do have hot water taps available. I have a large French press at my desk but since I got the thermos and cup that do the trick, I haven't used it. You can find large French presses with thermal lining that will stay hot for quite a while. That may be your best bet. Make sure you use a very coarse grind unless you like muddy coffee.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just bought this OXO Stainless mug

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Good-Grips...tp_st_edpp_ttl

While it's only 16oz, it works really well and fits most bottle cages. There are cheaper plastic versions, but the rubber "band" around it is a little higher. The Stainless one has the band exactly where it needs to be for a bottle cage. If you have a Linens & Things near you that's closing (like I do), then you can find these for about $14. Doesn't rattle, doesn't leak, super easy one-handed operation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Aeropress, light, simple, take one of them, some decent grounds, and a few filters to work; all you need is hot water. Great for camping too.

ONe less gear
    I got the Origin8 Joe 2 go large handlebar mounted holder off Ebay and a big Ole 20 oz cup that fits perfect from Starbucks and my coffee last for about 2 hours hot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    Quote Originally Posted by x-ker
    Do you have access to boiling water at work?

If so, get a French Press and leave some good beans at work.
    this is the ticket...

Buy a nespresso machine...be the envy of you mates

small footprint, neat and tidy....makes a pretty darn nice cup, saves spilling hot coffee in yer crotch when you go over a pothole

ok so not the most econimical suggestion you're going to get
    these are awesome as well. I have a d150 at work and had a romeo 350 at home. Good but gets pricey.