Thread: Clips n straps

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Clips n straps

After riding fixed on platforms (and a brake, of course), decided I want some clips and straps. Thing is I've got pretty long and feet, size 49.5 or 14 US. I see clips come in different sizes, but would even the large ones fit comfortably?

Any tips or guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Philip

weirdo
    You might have to modify with some kind of spacer block between the pedal and the clips- I dunno. I found a somewhat useful (better than nothing) explanation on Peter White`s site. About half way down the page he talks a little about sizing, but doesn`t help much. The real help is just above that section, where he gives the distance in mms from mount flange to end for different sizes of MKS clips. Also note that some clips are availabe in "deep" style, which sounds to me like it would mean longer, but actually they`re higher because they`re intended to be used with street shoes. Good luck- I hope it works out for you. If not, Power Grips would probably be the next best substitute.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thank you. I guess I'll need to start measuring!

Cheers,

Phil

weirdo
    Aw, man! I forgot the link last night. Since his website is kind of tough to navigate, here`s what I was talking about in case you didn`t find it yourself:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Pedals.asp
    Recalculating....

ride the moment
    I like the power straps more than the basket style. They attach to pinned platforms and then you sort of slide your foot in at an angle and the strap tightens as you straiten your foot into pedaling position.

http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    I like the power straps more than the basket style. They attach to pinned platforms and then you sort of slide your foot in at an angle and the strap tightens as you straiten your foot into pedaling position.
    I agree, providing you usually wear the same or very similar shoes. I wore P.G.s for about a year on my commuter and they really grab! The two complaints I have are that they`re harder to get into than clickes or unstrapped flat pedals (about the same as clips/straps in that respect) and that they have to be adjusted for different shoe sizes. It only takes a minute, so not a big deal if you usually ride with the same shoes, but it can be a hassle if you wear tennis shoes one day and want something warmer the next day. Regular toe straps have to be "adjusted" (cinched down, really), but that`s almost instant as long as all your shoes are within their range- P.G.s beat them out in the range department, too.
    Recalculating....

Did I catch a niner?
    Powergrips > Toe clips

Having used both in a commute setup I would much prefer the power grip, they can be kind of dangerous at the start when looking down to get your foot back in (unless you can track stand all day). You can also get extra long ones for larger feet and boots. I also think they help pedaling efficiency and safer when getting out of them (just twist like a clipless).
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do you feel any angular resistance or force from your power grips? I've been curious about them, but I was always a little nervous to ride with them - I'm a little sensitive to rotation.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    No twistage for me, YMMV. I`d say that if you have to force your feet in order to keep them at their natural angle, the straps are too tight.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Maybe I'll DIY something, as I found a roll of seatbelt material to work with (plenty enough for a number of straps. How do these powergrip style straps compare with double/double straps regarding getting in and out?

Thanks!

Philip

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    check these things out:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mini+...=0&oq=mini+toe

i could never get comfortable in clipless & all the assorted strappy things were such a pita to use that i ended up riding platforms on my mtbs most of my life.

when i got a fixed gear road bike this past year i learned real quick that flat pedals were not going to cut it. i looked at all the alternatives again & was just about to buy some pretty cool straps that a guy named scrodzilla sells in the ss/fg forum over at bikeforums.net. but then i ran across the mini-toeclips & figured for a few bux even if they were crap it wouldn't be any big loss. turns out they work great for me...hold my foot in place really well but they are unbelievably easy to get in & out of.

good luck whatever you choose...