mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Clipless on a commuter?

I'm starting to consider using my bike for longer distances on the weekend (20+ mi one way) and am wondering if clipless is something I want to look into for the extra efficiency. The problem is two fold in 1) I don't want to have to bring a 2nd pair of shoes everywhere and 2) I probably will want a solution where I can bike in normal shoes as well when I don't want to grab the biking shoes.

Is the swap worth it? Is there clipless shoes that are comfortable walking around / doing errands and not clacking everywhere?

The TV camera guy
    Jun 2005
    Shimano PD-M324 is a pedal with clipless on one side and a traditional cage on the other. Should work well for your purpose. Also, most SPD-compatible shoes are easy to walk in.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just made the switch with some crank brothers mallets which have a pretty big platform to ride with normal shoes as well. I wouldn't recommend doing any serious riding in normal shoes but you certainly can ride unclipped.

as for shoes, check out the adidas minretts. They look like normal shoes and really good for wearin around town a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wear MTB shoes with eggbeaters. I walk around in them. The cleats don't click, but the soles are very hard so it makes noise. Biking performance is more important than walking performance to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What shoes should I be looking at for just not causing a racket in a concrete floored hall? lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Any shoe that has a "normal" look should have a nice thick sole to keep the cleat from hitting the ground. Performance specific shoes will have the cleat exposed generally.

mtbr member
    I ride clipless almost every time I am out, and some of my commutes are no longer than three miles. I have the shimano PD-M324 mentioned above. They are decent, but I think the forte campus pedal may be cheaper and seems to be just as good on my wife's bike. Both pedals use SPD type cleats.

I have a pair of Nike MTB shoes that are a couple years old. The SPD cleat rides up in them and the rubber surrounding the cleat keeps the metal cleat from hitting the ground when walking. Like people are saying, MOST SPD cleat shoes will serve your purpose just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chello
    Any shoe that has a "normal" look should have a nice thick sole to keep the cleat from hitting the ground. Performance specific shoes will have the cleat exposed generally.
    False. It is cleat dependent. Eggbeaters require the cleat to be at least on the same level.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just have basic pedals on my Tricross. I'm not so much concerned with walking, but instead all the lights/stop signs on my commute. Plus there are so many 4-way stops with MOTHER F'N MORONS DRIVING (sorry... 4-way stops are the bane of my existence, and I don't see why it is so damn difficult to see who was there first).

That combined with my getting hit for the first time... no clips for me. I would have been pinned down under my bike if I had clips. No way I could have reacted and gotten out fast enough. As it was, I hopped off and didn't even hit the pavement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jflurett
    I would have been pinned down under my bike if I had clips. No way I could have reacted and gotten out fast enough. As it was, I hopped off and didn't even hit the pavement.
    Clipless pedals will disengage if you and the bike hit the pavement. If the retention settings are set fairly low on Shimano-brand pedals, I can yank my feet directly out in any direction with no special effort, too. That's not how *I* ride them, I crank them right to maximum so I can really put the hammer down in a sprint, but I've had to ride many other peoples' SPDs, and I think a young child could pull free of an M520 at minimum retention.

At any rate, I just keep an extra pair of regular shoes at work, and could never go back to non-clipless. The efficiency is so much better for me, even compared to toeclips with fully-cinched toestraps.

BIG and Bald
    Time Attack Z pedals.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    +1 for the Forte Campus Pedals. I have them on 2 different bikes and I really like them. MTB shoes can take some getting used to because of the stiff soles, but once you get used to them it will be hard to go back to riding without them. I'd recommend Pearl Izumi Alps, but there are plenty of shoes to choose from.

Respect Your Trails

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Harolev
    I just made the switch with some crank brothers mallets which have a pretty big platform to ride with normal shoes as well. I wouldn't recommend doing any serious riding in normal shoes but you certainly can ride unclipped.

as for shoes, check out the adidas minretts. They look like normal shoes and really good for wearin around town a bit.
    I agree with Harolev. Actually I commute with Crank Bros. Smartys and use Mallets on my mountain bike but regardless, both have a platform on which normal shoes can be used in a pinch. Minretts are great for what you would need. They look like regular sneakers and the cleat is recessed. No clicking, sliding on tile floors or taking an extra pair of shoes wherever you go. My 2.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2120

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by makeitso
    ....Is the swap worth it? Is there clipless shoes that are comfortable walking around / doing errands and not clacking everywhere?
    I ride with M520s on my MTB and Wellgo SPD/platform on my commuter. I have a pair of the Shimano shoes that look like low top hiking shoes. The soles are biker-style so walking on hard surfaces is a little strange but no clacking I like the Wellgos, I can make a quick run to the store without changing shoes, when I ride to work I use the Shimano shoes. I leave an extra set of regular shoes at work.

I Ride for Donuts
    I commute in clipless pedals/shoes, and stash my shoes at work. In fact, I have a full-on closet of clothes at work. I don't wear anything on the bike that I wear at work, except for socks sometimes...The only thing I carry in my backpack is underwear and an undershirt every day, and I keep shirts/pants/shoes at work. I swap clothes out at work every week or two when I'm in the area with a car.

I couldn't imagine commuting in the rain/snow/sloppy weather and then having to wear those shoes all day. That would keep me off of the bike in even moderate weather. Having dry stuff waiting for me at work takes away all of the excuses.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I use this http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...12_144crx.aspx

I use them with SHIMANO PD-M545 on the XC bike and PD-M520 on the commuter, I love these things, they are comfy to wear around and good for the commute, so-so on the trail. I will never switch back to regular pedals on my road bikes, the performance increase and control has to be felt to be understood. IMHO

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005
    I also started leaving stuff at work. Bike a bag in on Monday with stuff in it for a few days. It makes those days without the bag super nice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just curious, anyone have some experience with Shimano PD-M324's? http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
    I was considering the Forte Campus reversible clipless/any shoe pedals, but heard that these are nicer.

Brand new to this, bought a Schwinn World Avenue that comes with toe clips attached, thinking that clipless pedals sound more fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m121038
    Just curious, anyone have some experience with Shimano PD-M324's? http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
    I was considering the Forte Campus reversible clipless/any shoe pedals, but heard that these are nicer.

Brand new to this, bought a Schwinn World Avenue that comes with toe clips attached, thinking that clipless pedals sound more fun.
    I have/ use both of them. I honestly feel that the Forte pedals are better, and that I was ripped off on the shimano parts. I dont really have any complaints with either pedals but I paid 60$ or so for the shimanos at a LBS, and 30 for the Fortes, and I feel that they are extremely comparable. The shimanos are definitely not worth twice the price, IMO. They are nearly identical, in both function and appearance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sounds good, it's nice to be able to side with the cheaper option

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by m121038
    I bought a pair of the Forte Campus pedals back when they were still called the Performance Campus pedal...probably 2001 or 2002...I've had them on at least 4 bikes, and ridden them for thousands of miles on both the flats and the clips, in countless rain and snowstoms, and they're going strong. I don't see how you could improve on this design.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

regular shoes

I ride clipless when offroading and on long road rides. On my commuter I ride regular shoes. Easier,for me, for errands and lights. When I commute I am not usually racing even though I have. It makes it even more fun to smoke a full spandex clipped in rider. Where I live, you should see all the people who commute with regular shoes and clothes and funky rusted old bikes too. What ever gets you to do it is what I say. I like commuterboy's quote

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I commute in clipless pedals/shoes, and stash my shoes at work. In fact, I have a full-on closet of clothes at work. I don't wear anything on the bike that I wear at work, except for socks sometimes...The only thing I carry in my backpack is underwear and an undershirt every day, and I keep shirts/pants/shoes at work. I swap clothes out at work every week or two when I'm in the area with a car.

I couldn't imagine commuting in the rain/snow/sloppy weather and then having to wear those shoes all day. That would keep me off of the bike in even moderate weather. Having dry stuff waiting for me at work takes away all of the excuses.
    True dat! This is basically what I do. I have 19 shirts in the office, 3 pair of pants and two pair of shoes. Most of that stuff has never even made it to my house. I just take it all to the cleaners in my building and get them to wash/iron/hang everything. Totally worth the cost.

I use XT pedals on two mtn bikes and my commuter. It means that I have totally predictable release characteristics for most of my riding. I don't think I'd be as happy without clipless...

One Colorful Rider
    Commuting Clipless is a no brainer. 20% more efficent

I've been using Shimano Clipless pedals when Crank bros were Crapping in their diapers in 1992

I leave a pair of street shoes at work I have a pair of PD-M515 pedals on one of my commuters with about 15000 miles on them. A pair of PD-M520 on my winter commuter with 4000+ miles on them

Check out shimanos new pedal PD-A530
    Attached Images Attached Images