mtbr member

Check out this phone mount. Never seen anything like it before.

So, I'm picking up all the odds and ends I need to get back into bike commuting. Extra tubs, multitool, light clips (still kept the lights, thank goodness), etc.

Decided to pick up a phone mount. I've always liked having my phone on the handlebars/top tube so I can see any notifications that come in, change songs, and use it as a computer. This thing was absolutely genius and I had to snag it. I'll post an update after a few rides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What are your thoughts?
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Class Clown
    I can do my taxes on the ride to work!

ultra grumpy
    I think you should mount an umbrella in case it rains while you're riding.

Name:  brella.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  159.3 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    I think you should mount an umbrella in case it rains while you're riding.

Name:  brella.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  159.3 KB
    Now that's using your noggin!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Cool, I'm going to add one to my bikepacking rig!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

since 4/10/2009
    good lord

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    .. so I can ... change songs,
    Please don't be one of those self-centered riders oblivious to his surroundings. Leave the ear-buds at home.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

CB of the East
    For the record, wearing earbuds does not make one a self centered rider oblivious to their surroundings.

The phone mount looks pretty cool. I'd be worried about the mass of it going over bumps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Please don't be one of those self-centered riders oblivious to his surroundings. Leave the ear-buds at home.
    Never have been, never will be. That being said, a small Bluetooth ear piece at a low volume at 1 am on my ride home is wonderful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    For the record, wearing earbuds does not make one a self centered rider oblivious to their surroundings.

The phone mount looks pretty cool. I'd be worried about the mass of it going over bumps.
    It came in last night. I got it mounted, and it seems like it will hold up well. I'm hoping to ride home tonight, so I'll give a report back then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So how would you describe an earbud wearing rider, riding down the center, who canít hear shouts or bells?
    --------------

CB of the East
    Probably self centered. But it isn't cause and effect. I've ridden with ear buds since before ear buds were invented and we called them headphones and ipods/cell phones were called Walkmans. But I'm aware of my surroundings and don't think I'd be any safer without them. I get annoyed when somebody tries to dictate how I enjoy myself on a bike.

I'm never on paths or trails with other people so I can see how you'd be annoyed with the person you just described.

mtbr member
    tbh I didnt really understand the sarcastic comments on that thing. When you wouldnt buy or need it, does not mean it is automatically strange or unnecessary.

I didnt think of Bedward's concern about the weight, I more thought it would probably work pretty well as long as it doesnt get wet. And when it starts to rain, you can always put a sturdy plastic bag over it. As long as you can see the screen, it will work.

So TnF, make sure you use it and share your experience with us. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Not sure why or what I've said that would give you the impression that I'm wearing earbuds in both ears, riding obliviously down the center of a trail not paying a single bit of attention to my surroundings, but nothing could be further from the truth.

mtbr member
    It feels heavy in the hand, but doesn't seem hefty on the bike. Plus, at my weight, a few hundred grams ain't gonna make a damn bit of difference on the bars.

My phone is an S7 Active, so I'm not concerned about rain and wet rides. As for the phone holder/battery pack, I suppose on wet rides I'll pull it off and stuff it in my bag until I can come up with a better solution.

CB of the East
    I wasn't thinking of it as being to heavy in a weight weenie way. If heavier items don't have good bar mounts they tend to spin around or off. As long as it is balanced it will probably be alright. Yeah, water, electronics don't like water. I have a waterproof phone but I hate to test it.

I have one of those external batteries. Even if the bike mount part doesn't' work they are great for traveling. No more dead phones in airports.

Class Clown
    I wear earbuds and yeah they used to be headphones. This is a commuting forum so kind of different. They do not block out sound I can still hear cars and sirens. Plus visual is much more important. If I was deaf I would still be able to ride a bike. On trails I will have them on low or off depending, so as not to be totally oblivious.

mtbr member
    Too specialized. Battery packs are ubiquitous, and will fit wherever you have space. Can't say I want a Li-Ion battery bolted to any part of the bike should there be a collision that results in the battery being punctured. Velcro attachments only (or inside Velcro mounted bags) that will burn away and let the batter fall off before the frame is damaged.

Bar light battery under the stem (protective area), loose so it will move if impacted instead of puncturing.
    Top-tube bag will rotate to the side if impacted.
    Seat pack flops all over the place.
    Pannier rack offers a lot of (my) junk between a battery and anything that might be seeking to end said battery's life.

I used to mount my phone on the bar, but I've since decided that's not a safe place for an $800 computer. It now resides deep inside the pannier bag, replaced by a Bluetooth speaker which handles my awesome playlist and I use voice navigation should I be on a long foray into the great asphalt wilderness.

On the trail, no music, phone goes in the seat bag.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    The silicone rubber band is extremely sturdy and provides a good amount of grip, so I didn't run into any shifting or rolling yesterday. The attachment system is much like a light, with adjustable grip on the bars/stem.

I understand that others prefer their phone put away safely, but I've always used mine on the bars for the last several years. Primarily used as a cycling computer, Google maps in unfamiliar areas, and various other things while on the road. To each his own. I understand fully that this is a niche product and not everyone who rides and commutes will find it useful, I however, have. It is what it is.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    I used to mount my phone on the bar, but I've since decided that's not a safe place for an $800 computer.
    I should really start putting mine on the bars. I need an excuse to get one that doesn't take 30 seconds to open an app. It was perfectly fast when I got it but it could probably use a good smashing.

mtbr member
    I should really start putting mine on the bars. I need an excuse to get one that doesn't take 30 seconds to open an app. It was perfectly fast when I got it but it could probably use a good smashing.
    What phone do you have?

mtbr member
    I've got an Infuse that doesn't take 30 seconds to open apps, and it's so old the box highlighted Flash as a feature. bedwards1000's phone must have been found falling out the bottom of a receding glacier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Probably self centered. But it isn't cause and effect. I've ridden with ear buds since before ear buds were invented and we called them headphones and ipods/cell phones were called Walkmans. But I'm aware of my surroundings and don't think I'd be any safer without them. I get annoyed when somebody tries to dictate how I enjoy myself on a bike.

I'm never on paths or trails with other people so I can see how you'd be annoyed with the person you just described.
    Well... maybe nobody's buzzed your rear tire while you're enjoying yourself, but there's a reason it's technically illegal in some states and why there are signs like this.

Check out this phone mount. Never seen anything like it before.-1178098-best-earphones-wear-while-riding-0427162001.jpg

I certainly get that people are passionate about music too, but we need to think of others.
    --------------

CB of the East
    ^^We're probably on the same page. I wear them on the road and follow the rules of the road and stay aware. I'm the only one out on the trails I ride. And I avoid muti use trails like the plague because dog walkers are twice as oblivious as I ever am. If I ride in parks I'm with others so I'm not listening to anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    What phone do you have?
    Samsung Galaxy S5. Not glacially old but glacially slow. I even wiped it with a factory restore and only replaced the apps I use but after a few weeks it is getting sluggish again. It's probably just got too much going on.

mtbr member
    Samsung Galaxy S5. Not glacially old but glacially slow. I even wiped it with a factory restore and only replaced the apps I use but after a few weeks it is getting sluggish again. It's probably just got too much going on.
    Man, jailbreak that thing for free, and get performance similar to an S7.

CB of the East
    A lot of the sites to root your phone seem shady to me. Pretty much giving some random site administrator rights to load an operating system on my phone always seemed risky. Got any suggestions? The phone could use less bloat-ware. Verizon if that makes any difference.

Class Clown
    Just what i need another sign tellin me how to live. Dont worry you're not catching up to me anyway.

mtbr member
    A lot of the sites to root your phone seem shady to me. Pretty much giving some random site administrator rights to load an operating system on my phone always seemed risky. Got any suggestions? The phone could use less bloat-ware. Verizon if that makes any difference.
    I've got some info on my laptop at home I'll PM over to you. There are a few shady sites out there, and if you're unfamiliar, it can be difficult to distinguish between the two. I had the same trouble. In the meantime, you could download BK Disabler Pro to disable some bloatware. It won't delete it, and they'll still take up valuable space, but they won't be active to consume ram in the background.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    In 2015/2016 when I was working at home, I would go out and ride these 40-50 miles loops, way out in the country on very low-traffic roads. I decided to try out some earphones to listen to music just to break up the monotony. I found that the wind noise meant that I had to turn the darn things up so loud that I was worried about damaging my hearing. Maybe I just ride too fast

On edit: I also tried some bone-conducting technology made by a company called Aftershokz. They worked OK, while they worked. My first pair just died after two weeks. I got a replacement and it stopped charging after a few months.

I gave up on both and just play songs in my head now.

Looks like a cool mount TnF, if I had a waterproof phone I might try it out.

mtbr member
    ^^We're probably on the same page. I wear them on the road and follow the rules of the road and stay aware. I'm the only one out on the trails I ride. And I avoid muti use trails like the plague because dog walkers are twice as oblivious as I ever am. If I ride in parks I'm with others so I'm not listening to anything.

The Infuse was Samsung's non-Galaxy smartphone during the GS II timeframe. My youngest uses it currently.

My wife has had speed issues with all smartphones she's owned. S2, S3, S5, and G Flex2. She loads the worst bloatware apps, doesn't remove apps she stops using, and doesn't run anything to protect the programs or block adware. When her phone slows to crawl, she comes to me for a fix. I eventually got tired of cleaning up her mess and now just do a factory reset, and all is good again.

I used her S5 when she picked up a G Flex2 in 2016 and had no issues with it until her G Flex 2 lockbooted in early 2017, at which point I gave it back to her (after a factory reset). Didn't get through the first month before complaining about it being slow.

Even when diligent in taking care of an older smartphone, you will run afoul of apps that use too much of your available RAM, and need to actively force close apps to keep a smooth sailing ship.

I wouldn't worry about bricking an S5. You can get a used S7 for $150, which would be a tremendous upgrade.

CB of the East
    Thanks for the info. My phone slowed down a lot when I added a Garmin smart watch to the mix. I may just go look for a used S7 if they are out there that cheap.

I've been riding unplugged (sans music) for the last few rides for a change of pace based on this thread.

since 4/10/2009
    Been thinking about replacing my S5. I have to be insanely diligent about background apps, force closing stuff, regularly clearing the cache, and maintaining enough empty memory so that I have a cache to work with. And if I misstep even slightly, I get punished with a crippled phone that shuts down on its own, lags so much that I can't even answer a phone call, and stupid stuff like that.

It limits the utility of the phone a decent bit. I am loath to spend a bunch of money on a new one, though. I've ALWAYS bought my smartphones used, and I think I got my S5 for $60 roundabouts. I do think I need more than 16GB, though. The OS with no apps occupies at least half that. I have a 64GB card in it, but the phone barely uses it. The only things it gets used for are photos, and ONE app I have downloads its database to the card. Man, I wish MTBProject would download trails to the card instead of the phone's onboard memory.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    I wouldn't worry about bricking an S5. You can get a used S7 for $150, which would be a tremendous upgrade.
    Where do you get these used S7s? I'm mostly seeing them for $180+ and I want 2 of them.